Subway Reviews

3.1
1,133 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 96 reviews)

• The pay was less than desirable and there were no benefits or insurance (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

It was first-job material with it's ups and downs.

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Wichita, KS

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small team environment, around 3 or 4 people max for a short time, down to 2 for the late hours.
    Customer Service experience, Subway deals closer to the customer than most other restaurants. Lots of face to face.
    Paid training, also viewing enough of it gives you small pay raises.
    Free food while you work (no not stealing, it is told to you free 6-inch for less than 7 or 6 hours and footlong for more than that)

Cons

Difficult customers are inevitable and you have to deal with them face to face all the way to the cash register sometimes and you'll sometimes think it's almost not worth it.
    The small pay raises from training vids kind of caps out a dollar extra after watching many of them. Never got prompted to watch more or get more pay raise (other than..who knows, try to become manager? which requires more training vids!)
    The small team may not be for everyone and may not be great all the time. There is always a chance you get the shift with someone you don't like where you close the shop together (late 3 hours or so with just 2 people)
    Small team also means during some rushes you feel very understaffed (and customers say so, too). They aren't very often (especially if you don't work rush or with few people) but it can happen enough to make you tired of having a line out of the door no matter how insanely fast you think you are (though it makes you feel like a superhero when you feel like you crushed a line single-handedly)

Lastly, It would seem Subway might be handling Insurance or Obama Care poorly for the employees sake. Hours have been cut since then and I couldn't get over 30 hrs at all and neither did a single other co-worker (30 apparently being the magic threshold for Obama Care or so I've been told) So that's a little low. Low enough to cause me to look elsewhere.

Stop trying to circumnavigate benefits to employees or policies and just give them the hours they need or at least be honest as to why you are cutting hours, economies don't get fixed by selfish people. Also, take a little more mind of the employees feelings about their work, such as only scheduling 2 employees to work at a time that every Subway employee who's ever cut bread knows is a dire rush time. I can understand using it to help bump up the franchise revenue and look all pretty to the rest of the region but it happens far too often and they are given no praise for their hard work.

Ok Place to work

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in State College, PA

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn how to make a great sandwich. If cookies break, you get to eat them. It always smells pretty good

Cons

You get incredibly bored of Subway sandwiches. You begin creating your own. They start to get crazy. Your friends will think you are crazy when you tell them about the sandwiches you have been eating.

Not Bad, Not Good

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Chester, SC
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Chester, SC

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount with Sandwiches, very flexible depending on which one you work at.

Cons

In my area, we did not have actual breaks.

Media Relations

Former Employee - Media Relations Representative in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Media Relations Representative in Milford, CT

I worked at Subway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly younger people work there, unique benefits include free lunch every day and monthly movie screenings.

Cons

Despite the size of the company, many departments are under-staffed. Replacing a worker who left may take months or might never happen. Morale can be very low in some departments. Health benefit plans are expensive, especially for those opting for family coverage. No comp time for those who must travel or work over the weekend.

Pay more attention to employees opinions. Don't just ask for suggestions to improve performance or profitability...ask for suggestions on how the company can be a better place to work at.

Good place to star

Current Employee - Area Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to learn , apply and get hired

Cons

repeated job everyday. No career advanced

Subway Employee Review

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros of the position include a flexible schedule, simple job requirements, there is no previous work experience necessary, and it is a friendly and laid back work environment.

Cons

There is little opportunity for growth within the company or chances to take on additional responsibilities. Managers and employees did not seem to care about the growth of the business or the customers unfortunately. Little motivation to perform well.

As a manager, I worked long hours (45 - 50 per week), had a lot of responsibility & the pay & benefits were not great!

I worked at Subway

Pros

I enjoyed working with my team & getting to know the regulars that ate there every week.

Cons

As a manager, the hours were long & even though the owner mentioned "raises or bonuses" it never happened for me in almost 3 years. I quit, making the same amount as when I started years later (approx $10/ hr).

Your store managers do a lot & have many responsibilities, from food orders, weekly inventory, hiring, training & firing to maintaining a clean store to providing excellent customer service. If they do all of this well, they are worth more than $10 an hour & expensive, minimal health benefits!!!!

good first job

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Joliet, IL

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours, not around greasy food all day, easy work place for just about anyone, cleanliness is always a must.

Cons

incompetent co-workers, leadership positions are not always available, minimum wage to start off, promotions promised but sometimes not received or extremely low, appreciation for diligent work is non existent.

Compensate hard working employees appropriately

Good part time experience for student

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good environment with good coworkers and manager. Free food. Easy to change your schedule. Good way to make money as a first job.

Cons

Too hectic during rush hours with only a few employees on shift. Have to deal with nasty customers sometimes.

Bad

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Incredibly easy menial work. Not much to learn. Some good employees. Friendly, upbeat owner.

Cons

No lunch breaks. Kept just below 40 hours so I cannot claim benefits. Sometimes I am asked to stay longer for overtime that I won't get paid for but if I put my foot down on leaving on schedule I get scolded. High turnover rate, underpaid, asked to stay longer without pay. Training is not paid for, required, and done in your free time at home. You also from time to time will not receive a pay stub with your check, that's usually when they short your hours so save and have all of your time clock verification from the register handy.

Pay your employees accordingly and they will care more about their job, don't lie about wages, or at least stop dumping overtime on employees and not paying them for it. Don't ask them to do everything if you aren't paying them to do everything. It's human decency.