Subway Reviews

3.1
1,128 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 91 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 94 reviews)

• The pay was less than desirable and there were no benefits or insurance (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Great.

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist

I have been working at Subway part-time

Pros

Customers were very rude and mean

Cons

You don't get any discount

Treat employee's better

Unhappily underpaid and over worked

Former Employee - Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Subway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Subway is a great first job for high schoolers or people working through college.

Cons

As a career, It's nearly impossible to make a living on what Subway pays. Even as a manager working 45+ hours a week, I was making peanuts compared to managers at places like McDonalds or Dominos. I even read an article in which it stated that Subway was one of the most underpaying companies.

If you have good, hard working people - pay them better and make it worth their time.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Subway

Pros

there are no pros to this

Cons

horrible training, no pay for training, no guaranteed job

Experience varies dependent upon franchisee

I worked at Subway

Pros

In general, the company is willing to help young, new employees learn the trade of "sandwich artistry." Making tips isa great way to be able to increase your income

Cons

Depending upon the individual franchisee, you may see many different forms of negative impacts, including but not limited to: poor management, cost cutting tactics that make work more difficult, and general disdain towards "lowly" employees

Recognize who your most valuable employees are and acknowledge it

My Manager was not very welcoming. He wasn't accommodating or nice to the employees.

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Cedarburg, WI
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Cedarburg, WI

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My hours were well spread out and I had fun with my other co-workers. We also had fun closing the store.

Cons

The pay is not equivalent to the position.

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to set my own schedule.

Cons

Very little training provided. Poor review procedure.

Compensation was minimal, policies were unclear.

All's Well that Ends Well

I have been working at Subway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job provided steady predictable hours. Granted, the paycheck had MUCH to be desired, but that is just the way things operate in the United Incorporated States of America.

Cons

Management repeatedly ignored listed availability, flat out ignoring it when it was convenient for them, This is unexceptable, your employees are people, not robots.

If management would just treat its employees like actual human beings there would be little issue.

Eat fresh?

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Not as stinky or greasy compared to other fast food restaurants (Wendy's, for example)
    - Free lunches, which is pretty righteous if you're a Subway aficionado

Cons

- The pay is not so righteous
    - This is a fast food job, so don't expect the work to be too glamorous (dealing with garbage, occasional cuts and burns, rude/creepy customers, etc.)
    - There was virtually NO training, from management or even from veteran employees. Sure, this isn't a place for rocket scientists. But there are things that rookie employees should be taught, like how to handle the tomato slicer, and how you should never, ever place your hands anywhere near the slicer if you're not using it (Hint: I had to learn this the hard way).
    - The backroom of the restaurant I worked at (location withheld) was repulsive. No one there cleaned the trays (which contain the toppings) properly; employees would simply take the trays when they were empty and toss them in stagnant dishwater and then dry them off. Disgusting. This was unfortunate not only because I was practically the only one legitimately cleaning the trays, but also because I have never eaten at a Subway restaurant since. I'm sure that this sort of thing doesn't occur at most Subway restaurants, but it was such an alarming experience that I'm a bit too afraid to even touch Subway's food again.

Train new-hires and make sure they know what they're doing. Keep an eye on your employees. Enforce all standing rules and regulations - they may not be fun sometimes, but they exist for a reason!

Good starting job, but a dead end.

Current Employee - Person In Charge (Shift Leader) in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Person In Charge (Shift Leader) in Warwick, RI

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very easy work. You just make sandwiches and clean. Flexible schedules, good hours once you're experienced. You earn your hours here, so the harder and better you work, the better you'll be treated.

Cons

Customers are real pains, very rude to workers at times. When closing, it's easy to get behind on your work because of a rush, so you end up staying late to finish. Since its a franchise, rules can be very loose, which creates issues. For example, I was promised a pay raise and never received it. At my store there's no annual evaluation for raises. There are people who have been working there for three years and only make $8.50.

Firmer rules that are known throughout the company. More opportunities for advancement.

Great first job

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Subway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and customers were very nice.

Cons

Minimum wage and no room for growth. Simple job equals simple pay.

Management can always be nicer.