Subway

3.1
1,234 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 98 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 99 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends On The Location

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, and a boss who made promises and always kept them. The owner was very hard working and honest, and very kind to me through the years, so that it made the particular location I was working at a great place to be for a time.

Cons

For one thing, the way some people "wash dishes" is really appalling.
    Secondly, if you want to move up in the company, there are only a few in-store positions, really. Team Member, Shift Lead, and then usually just a Manager position - typically no Assistant manager. And managers hardly make anything compared to other restaurant managers. I know this because one of my parents worked as a GM for 15 years in Food and Hospitality and she gasped when I showed her what my salary would be if I worked as a manager there.

Owners: Listen to your ALL of your employees! Not just the managers! Take multiple sides of a story into consideration. I know for a fact that I was fired due to catty and immature office politics and a lie that my manager told to cover something she did that was very wrong that I finally had the nerve to call her out on. If you want to know what's really going on in the store, you have to listen to more than just one employee. Everyone should have the chance to speak on their own behalf BEFORE you make an assumption that leads to somebody's termination.

it's a job

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Aiken, SC

I have been working at Subway (more than 5 years)

Pros

work with school schedule. ..meet new people and easy job.

Cons

some management issues. unprofessional. ..and irate customers

communication and fairness

It was OK for a time but did not make enough hours

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros

Cons

You don't get medical benefits

Maybe if you would consider giving some forms of benefits to employees it would be a job sought after

Good job when you are a student

Former Employee - Cashier in Lodi, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lodi, NJ

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free sub, flexible hours, talking to people

Cons

You are on your feet all day

Increase of salary

Dead end job, don't forget!

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Port Angeles, WA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Port Angeles, WA

I worked at Subway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a six-inch sub for every 3-4 hrs of work. Work isn't challenging.

Cons

Tasks can pile up whenever you get busy especially during the lunch and dinner rushes. Your clothes will smell like Subway forever and after a few months, never be able to recognize the smell as you get so used to it.

As a sandwich artist it can get quite stressful...listen to your employees and make it as pleasant as possible.

Worst job in my adult life!

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Deltona, FL
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Deltona, FL

I have been working at Subway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro I can actually consider is the weekly paycheck.

Cons

I keep seeing all of these posts about "free" 6 inch while working but for the store I work for we have to pay for anything we use. The only exception is a drink but we must bring in our own cup. The manager is more of a dictator. The manager doesn't know how to talk to her employees. She also will ridicule or talk down to an employee in front of customers. Due to her belittling, I actually (a late 20 year old woman) was brought to tears in front of a customer. I have worked for another subway when I was a teenager but it was more of a relaxed atmosphere where the customers came first not the numbers. Management only cares about keeping the productivity numbers down as well as food costs. I was yelled at in front of a customer for adding extra black olives to the sub because the customer asked for extra. I must drive the 20 minutes to Subway once a week to get my schedule since the manager only does one week instead of two which is a pain in the you know what especially with the cost of fuel. Manager also assured me when I was interviewed that I would get full time hours but yet the most hours I have received was 16 hours. My average weekly hours is 4-8. Also, they do not allow any kind of breaks. I worked an 8 hour shift two days in a row without any kind of break. The manager will work you until you cannot move anymore. And they do play favoritism with employees. My first week on the job, I watched the manager's favorite employee eat a sub (without paying for it) while I worked. This has been the worse company I have EVER worked for! Read reviews on the specific store for which you are applying for. Ask employees about the daily work before applying.

You are a manager, not a dictator. Ease up on your employees. Consider allowing your employees to have a break from time to time.

Sandwich Artist

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customer service experience is gained while working here. For the most part very flexible hours. Works very well with students.

Cons

Depending on which location you work at, management can be very dissatisfying. Also, work may also become overwhelming as days can be very busy.

Good part time job for someone with no experience

I worked at Subway

Pros

You get trained in different aspects of the food and customer service industry, such as safe deli prep and using the cash register system.

Cons

As with any job in the food industry, you need to have patience when dealing with customers. Subway has a strict formula for their sandwiches that customers are usually disgruntled with.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Jackson, MI

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work at times. Flexible hours. It was great until management changed.

Cons

It's amazing what poor management can do to a restaurant. I never appreciated the old manager until she was long gone. New manager was lazy, soft spoken, and just not a good leader. She continually was short on her bread order and failed to properly train any new employees. Considering the high turnover rate in this industry, the restaurant quickly went to hell and I dipped.

Only put competent people in management positions. It's a basic business concept really.

Ehhh...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a steady job and the work wasn't hard. All the tasks are easy to do. It has it's busy moments.

Cons

you had to deal some bad people.