SuccessFactors

Updated October 3, 2014
3.3

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• SFSF is a pay-for-performance company so one of the key tasks is setting and achieving specific goals each year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture, pay is good, good benefits. Customers are very positive about the solutions.

Cons

The recent sales leader from SAP are asking employees to do more with even less, higher quotas with smaller territories, less resources, migration to SAP systems is a nightmare, big company bureaucracy.

Great ride so far

Current Employee - Platinum Support Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Platinum Support Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work is rewarding
    Great benefits
    Everyday is something new

Cons

Little recognition
    Difficult to take vacation
    Work/life could be better

Conduct 360 reviews. Get a better understanding of who the week players are and put them on PIPs or get rid of them.

Difficult growing pains leaves company with much to be desired.

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

Very flexible work days and ability to work from home.
    Time off is granted when requested
    Office is nice
    Colleagues are really amable

Cons

Acquisitions are painful and many employees are left with much ambiguity as to their role, lack of direction, career path and/or growth and even opportunity to prove themselves
    Lack of consistency in communication or managing decisions
    Do not "drink their own champagne"
    Imbalance in work distribution- some organizations such as Customer Support are overworked and understaffed and others like Professional Services leaves many with little work to do.

You are a HRIS leader and your top product is Performance and Goal Management-- this tool should be used to do a deeper evaluation of ALL employees which should include your Management team including 360 reviews. There are a lot of a**holes occupying higher level positions and yet nothing is done about this but the impact it has on your workforce is higher turnover. People want to believe the dogma you are selling but when they have no sense of security in their position because of managers keeping them down- then they look elsewhere for opportunities.

Doesn't deliver on the hype

Current Employee - Platinum Customer Success Advocate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Platinum Customer Success Advocate in Boston, MA

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

Colleagues are generally pretty good people. Location (for Boston office) is great.

Cons

Managers always assume the worst of CSAs and micro-manage. Salary isn't what it should be and significant raises are given to a select few who put in 50-60 hour work weeks, despite the company claiming they don't want you to have to do that. They put you in a position where you need to put in 50-60 hours in order to get rated well. Managers (particularly second level) do not treat all fairly, and rarely are job openings posted to others and are instead given to hand-picked individuals. Managers never concede anything in a discussion about a particular issue. It's their way or the highway 100% of the time. Opportunities for career advancement are limited. Back-stabbing and politcking is absolutely the name of the game. Executive management is fleeing the company in droves. This is not a comforting place to work.

Stop focusing on busy work. Employees have enough work on their plates without having to worry about documenting whatever the big flavor of the month is for second level manager. Learn to accept criticism and understand that (to your shock), sometimes employees can be right about a situation. Push back on your managers when requests come in that just don't make sense for the team. Trust your employees. Better raises.

They Do not Eat their own dog food

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

As advertised there are no asseholes, the work is easy, the hours are good

Cons

There is no team atmosphere. I'm not sure why they keep a boston office as nobody is present especially management. From what I've seen there is little career growth and the base salary is very low

Too Laid Back

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

Laid back environment
    Great co workers

Cons

Management never listens to what needs to get done.

Remember what we were hired to do.

I'm Still Here & Reasonably Satisfied!

I have been working at SuccessFactors

Pros

I still like my job. I've made good money. The company has been good to me. I'll stay as long as they'll keep me. So I guess my next job will be retirement.

Cons

I mind my own business. I'm successful and I work hard. I don't cheat my co-workers. Although upward mobility is limited for me, my own job responsibilities have expanded. I do regret seeing so many talented people leave the company. They've left by the droves. Nevertheless, I'm still grateful for the job.

I'm not idealistic either. The CEO is no different than any other CEO. They all have a stunted maturity level, remain self-indulgent, identify with money, and suffer from a narcissistic personality disorder. The "No Jerk Rule" at SuccessFactors is a joke. Perhaps during its inception I naively thought it was genuine. I now realize that it was nothing more than a marketing ploy. It doesn't matter. People who have integrity and a strong work ethic don't require a "No Jerk Rule". Our CEO never enforced it. That's his problem - not mine.

Despite the obvious problems - my glass is half full - not half empty.

Make mandatory for all new employees: Class 101 Making Lemonade from Lemons!

Blown opportunity

Former Employee - RSM in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - RSM in Boston, MA

I worked at SuccessFactors

Pros

Good niche and growing market to be in. Looking to make it big regardless of how far the fall would be.

Cons

Company grew too quickly to continue to be stable and eroded the culture that once did make SF a great place to work.

Listen to the employees and be open and honest about the strategy and the path to get there. Get rid of the poison that's entered the organization.