SuccessFactors

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Not yet rated.

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling

Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• SFSF is a pay-for-performance company so one of the key tasks is setting and achieving specific goals each year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been with SuccessFactpors for the past 11 years(9 years wiut Plateau and 2 years with SF after acquisition)

Senior Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsWork Satisfaction, Freedom PTO, Friendly Managment

ConsTher are no cons that I can think of.

Great company, pain threshold required

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh tempo, focus on winning, Lars was awesome, good mission

ConsGrind, inefficient, old school, classic enterprise company

Great company

Communications/Marketing (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent company culture, friendly people, great WFH benefits.

ConsCan be disorganized working across the company, long processes going through SAP.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Team

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsIt was a great work environment with a lot of team collaboration and team building events. This was before the SAP acquisition, so I'm not sure if the culture changed.

ConsAlmost all of the marketing department (including me) were contract workers with no benefits. Not much possibility of becoming an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may have been fixed, but full time employment with benefits certainly helps retain good people.

Sucks to work here--Not a professional environment.

Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLeadership is so scary of their positions and try to protect them by what ever it takes,

ConsUnprofessional ethics & attitude from the leadership. Always keep their subords (Unskilled & lazy) to constantly lookout for any gossips in the organization,These lazy sub-ordinates can axe the new comers if they want any time by spreading -ve things on them to their bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe positive and take the sub-ordinates comments/suggestions in a +ve ways. Don't let the people near you mislead with falsified information.Also don't let the people laid-off b'se you felt like you are suggested better one's on your un-ethical, lame, outdated practices.

The most negative politically charged job in my career. Management too busy in sel-indulgences.

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTalented field level personnel. Good money.

ConsPolitics; gamesmanship; inexperienced mid level managers. Dysfunctional relationships. Self promotion at its best!

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend several years in leadership development and learn integrity.

Delusional Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice colleagues, slightly above average pay, commuter benefits, free food, office location, being part of SAP gives company access to lot of resources.

ConsThis company drinks its own Kool-Aid. Instead of digging out deficiencies & working on solving them, the management across the company spends more time building powerpoint slides to show why SuccessFactors is the best cloud company in the world. I think they come up with these metrics to secure their bonuses for the year. The reality is that Successfactors is nowhere close to being the best cloud player and it will take quite a bit to get there. In the long run this will be a more serious issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise management standards and don't turn a blind eye or reward poor management. Pay should be based on performance.

Overall a positive experience with the best in the industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was lucky to work in a small team that was shielded from any of the corporate nonsense, and we had strong processes in place that reduced major headaches coming in from sales. It was pretty motivating to work for a company that was growing at a good pace, and had a 'conquer the world' mentality. Being acquired by SAP showed that we were working on an important piece of enterprise software. The unlimited vacation policy gives you flexibility and a sense of responsibility, and the salary and benefits were great.

ConsI've heard different experience from people in other departments, overworked and underappreciated type of things. The pace of growth also undermined common sense sometimes, and sales individuals would pursue anything that landed in their lap. The culture also teetered on the brink of 'ra ra let's drink the kool-aid' at times, especially during company gatherings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the employees, maintain composure (ie don't cry during video conferences), maintain your own objective reality (don't be afraid to question what everyone else is doing), keep the software up to date, and don't forget about the original customers who made the company what it is.

Almost All The Talent Has Left

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits, location, free lunch, beautiful office

ConsAlmost all of the talent and smart people have already left. There are a few good people left but wouldn't be surprised if they leave when the rest of their stock vests. Most of the people left are the employees that need improvement. The rating system is garbage and rates almost everyone as "delivers well" even if they are a disaster. Only the worst of the worst are rated as "needs improvement" so even if someone is a poor performer, they think they aren't and don't make any efforts to contribute to the broader team. High performers are not encouraged to do well, only to dumb themselves down to make the low performers feel better.

Executive management has no clue how horrible the day to day work is because the VP's and what not paint a rosy picture that is completely incorrect. Certain VPs were promoted too quickly and lack experience, while others were never promoted even though they should have been. Basically, everything is a mess.

Pretty sure the company will only get worse as it gets "SAP-ified" and all the remaining good people leave. I wouldn't go back to work here, even if someone offered me a million dollars a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop believe that everything is fine, take a good hard look at people, fire the low performers, reward the high performers, and actually move the needle instead of just saying you will.

It's the best place to work!

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIt is not an easy place to get a job, but it is so worth the effort. My colleagues and our leadership bring passion and intelligence to a complex set of business problems and we have proven out, when done right, it drives great things for companies. Not only do we make our customers better employers, we apply the technology ourselves, in a way that makes it easy to focus on the most important things, and to see real time feedback on achievement. It's a beautiful thing.

ConsIt's not easy to get a job here - the folks doing the hiring are serious about screening people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the enthusiasm and the transparency. It's appreciated. Stay committed to the customer experience!

Worked for SuccessFactors? Contribute to the Community!