SuccessFactors

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• The company lost its focus & agility post SAP acquisition (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great place to work

Current Employee - User Experience Design in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great work environment, great leadership in product management and engineering, beautiful office space in South San Francisco with a spectular view of the Bay, if you are a good performer SFSF will take care of you financially with bonus and stock options

Cons

company culture is changing due to SAP acquisition

Don't introduce SAP processes to slow innovation

A community divided..

Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Successfactors under the watch of Lars was an amazing, high energy atmosphere that had a vision. Let's say things haven't been the same since the SAP acquisition. There are a few people from the SF days who are still with the company but all seem to be leaving one by one. The South SF office is really nice with lots of space for one to function and there's free food and snacks most of the time. Comp and benefits are above average vs. the industry and most people are nice.

Cons

SAP management has taken over and they either 1) have no clue about what made Successfactors so successful or 2) have a clue but have their hands tied due to other quantitative initiatives or 3) fail to see any issues or problems within the organization. There are so many layers of management that nothing gets done or approved in a timely manner (ie: taking 6 mo - 1 yr to backfill a role. Which leads me to the next issue: teams are almost never properly staffed AND trained in a way where they understand the product. This holds true in areas such a customer support to product management. Just because you're adding headcount (coincidentally all from INDIA) doesn't mean that they are suitable to do the job as they lack the soft skills needed to deal with American customers. In addition, management expects that a mere 2 weeks of rag tag (non-existent) training programs will get these trainees up to speed and working on levels as a tier 3 support associate

Properly staff your teams with qualified individuals and stop taking the cheap way out by hiring overseas. Issues hardly get resolved by them which leads to a disgruntled, dissatisfied customer. Train up and promote within. I've seen too much talent leave the organization within the last year. Metrics are cute, since they quantify goals, but how you react to those not so great metrics is indicative of your success. Be transparent and talk to your customer success teams, product managers, consultants and engineers and ask them what you can do to make their jobs easier.

Was the best company I've ever worked for -- then we got bought by SAP

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few fantastic employees left from our pre-SAP days, and I love working with them. The office is also pretty cool, and there's plenty of flexibility in when/whether to physically arrive -- working from home is fine.

Cons

Now that we've been bought by SAP, the true decision-making happens in Germany, despite the fact that SAP has historically failed in the Cloud. The Works Councils have a strangle-hold on the company, so there's little correlation been performance/experience, and professional opportunity. SAP had layoffs earlier this year, and the determining factor seems to have been whether or not the employee was German: U.S-based team members almost all got sacked, but our colleagues in Germany held onto their positions, or got transferred within SAP. Thus, the decision-makers are almost completely insulated from the consequences of bad decisions. Most of the SuccessFactors employees who were with SuccessFactors when we got bought by SAP, have fled (probably less than 10% remain).

Lars was right. The only way SAP will succeed in the Cloud long term is if you keep the Cloud business separate from the legacy on-premise business. Stop putting the folk who have failed in the Cloud in charge of the folk who have succeeded -- that's a sure fire way of getting us to leave for other companies -- and you paid billions for us. I'm on Glass Door today because I've finally had enough, and am researching how much I should I ask for in my next job (I've already interviewed with the hiring manager, and am meeting with HR tomorrow).

Great Company!

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work - great people!

Cons

Busy - as field employee, sometimes feel disconnected from org

Lost momentum after acquired by SAP

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be great culture. Dedicate Engineers, Sales and Supports. Very business driven. Customers are happy with our produce and service. Flexible work from home schedule.

Cons

Technical debts. Data center operations lack of automation, not like a real cloud company. Bureaucracy brought in by acquired company and SAP.

Get rid of a few rotten tomatoes. Lead SAP toward Cloud business rather than got dragged back by SAP legacy. Investing on tech infrastructure more.

It Will Be Different, That Won't Be Bad (If You Can Tolerate Change)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

beautiful digs, smart, caring people. A special cultural legacy left by company founder. Generous perks. Casual environment. Pride in product. Inspiring colleagues.

Cons

Continued SAP integration pains, difficulty getting information. Networking essential to getting your job done. If you were used to having everything spoon fed to you, get used to the new navigation methods.

Communicate directly and tangibly. Too much abstraction leaves employees wondering what it has to do with them. Be as transparent as possible. Lack of transparency (this means everyone) leads to mistrust, gossip, lowered morale as a result of people feeling left in the dark or left out.

Times have changed, not a good place to be

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to be transparent, open, full of team work and spirit. The good ole days are gone.

Cons

SAP really took over the company culture to start 2014 and it has been a train wreck. There is no SF identity anymore. SAP is completely disconnected to SuccessFactors market needs, they have just been making the company more SAP like....but they could have stood to gain much more if they leveraged SF strengths more effectively.

Stop trying to make SF, SAP. The company was awesome and had great market presence before you began bleeding it.

Good product lines, great people, lose a bit of its focus after being acquired by SAP.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups. Cloud is in the company's DNA. This is a place to be to learn as much about Cloud products.

Cons

The environment is too distributed, your team likely spans 3-4 timezones/countries. Not all teams match the demands, which caused quite a bit of conflicts. Quite a bit of "protecting my territory" around groups/teams. The company lost its focus & agility post SAP acquisition.

Watch out for those single-point-of-failure situations. There are quite a few of that.

Boys Club - Kiss Up to The Right Ones

Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay - but does it matter when there is nothing but a self-promoting, backstabbing culture.

Cons

Politics, self-promotion, every person for themselves, old hardline Oracle-style dog eat, dog world.

None - it's over for them! The management team (from the beginning and whatever is left) is focused on one thing - how do I ingratiate myself to SAP management? Nothing else matters to them.

Fast Paced Company - Process Challenged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Smart People, Time-Off, New Building

Cons

Work-Life Balance, SAP/SFSF Culture Clash

Retain the cloud DNA