SuccessFactors

Updated October 19, 2014
3.2

SuccessFactors President, Cloud & On Premise HR Mike Ettling
Mike Ettling

Pros
  • ment proviuded (phone, Ipad etc), ability to work from home, and some good people (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • SAPs purchase of Successfactors has negatively impacted Work/Life balance (in 22 reviews)

• SFSF is a pay-for-performance company so one of the key tasks is setting and achieving specific goals each year (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company!

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work - great people!

Cons

Busy - as field employee, sometimes feel disconnected from org

Was the best company I've ever worked for -- then we got bought by SAP

Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few fantastic employees left from our pre-SAP days, and I love working with them. The office is also pretty cool, and there's plenty of flexibility in when/whether to physically arrive -- working from home is fine.

Cons

Now that we've been bought by SAP, the true decision-making happens in Germany, despite the fact that SAP has historically failed in the Cloud. The Works Councils have a strangle-hold on the company, so there's little correlation been performance/experience, and professional opportunity. SAP had layoffs earlier this year, and the determining factor seems to have been whether or not the employee was German: U.S-based team members almost all got sacked, but our colleagues in Germany held onto their positions, or got transferred within SAP. Thus, the decision-makers are almost completely insulated from the consequences of bad decisions. Most of the SuccessFactors employees who were with SuccessFactors when we got bought by SAP, have fled (probably less than 10% remain).

Lars was right. The only way SAP will succeed in the Cloud long term is if you keep the Cloud business separate from the legacy on-premise business. Stop putting the folk who have failed in the Cloud in charge of the folk who have succeeded -- that's a sure fire way of getting us to leave for other companies -- and you paid billions for us. I'm on Glass Door today because I've finally had enough, and am researching how much I should I ask for in my next job (I've already interviewed with the hiring manager, and am meeting with HR tomorrow).

Lost momentum after acquired by SAP

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be great culture. Dedicate Engineers, Sales and Supports. Very business driven. Customers are happy with our produce and service. Flexible work from home schedule.

Cons

Technical debts. Data center operations lack of automation, not like a real cloud company. Bureaucracy brought in by acquired company and SAP.

Get rid of a few rotten tomatoes. Lead SAP toward Cloud business rather than got dragged back by SAP legacy. Investing on tech infrastructure more.

It Will Be Different, That Won't Be Bad (If You Can Tolerate Change)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

beautiful digs, smart, caring people. A special cultural legacy left by company founder. Generous perks. Casual environment. Pride in product. Inspiring colleagues.

Cons

Continued SAP integration pains, difficulty getting information. Networking essential to getting your job done. If you were used to having everything spoon fed to you, get used to the new navigation methods.

Communicate directly and tangibly. Too much abstraction leaves employees wondering what it has to do with them. Be as transparent as possible. Lack of transparency (this means everyone) leads to mistrust, gossip, lowered morale as a result of people feeling left in the dark or left out.

Times have changed, not a good place to be

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company used to be transparent, open, full of team work and spirit. The good ole days are gone.

Cons

SAP really took over the company culture to start 2014 and it has been a train wreck. There is no SF identity anymore. SAP is completely disconnected to SuccessFactors market needs, they have just been making the company more SAP like....but they could have stood to gain much more if they leveraged SF strengths more effectively.

Stop trying to make SF, SAP. The company was awesome and had great market presence before you began bleeding it.

Good product lines, great people, lose a bit of its focus after being acquired by SAP.

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, can-do attitude shared around most functional groups. Cloud is in the company's DNA. This is a place to be to learn as much about Cloud products.

Cons

The environment is too distributed, your team likely spans 3-4 timezones/countries. Not all teams match the demands, which caused quite a bit of conflicts. Quite a bit of "protecting my territory" around groups/teams. The company lost its focus & agility post SAP acquisition.

Watch out for those single-point-of-failure situations. There are quite a few of that.

Boys Club - Kiss Up to The Right Ones

Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay - but does it matter when there is nothing but a self-promoting, backstabbing culture.

Cons

Politics, self-promotion, every person for themselves, old hardline Oracle-style dog eat, dog world.

None - it's over for them! The management team (from the beginning and whatever is left) is focused on one thing - how do I ingratiate myself to SAP management? Nothing else matters to them.

Fast Paced Company - Process Challenged

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Smart People, Time-Off, New Building

Cons

Work-Life Balance, SAP/SFSF Culture Clash

Retain the cloud DNA

No work life balance

Former Employee - Individual Contributor in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Individual Contributor in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, nice offices, all employees get iPads, cell phones, lots of flexibility for remote workers

Cons

They give you cell phone and Ipad and allow working remote because they want to be able to contact you 24x7; no work/life balance. They are part of SAP

You blew it by being acquired by SAP

Need Better Customer Service

I worked at SuccessFactors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every company could use this kind of technology.
    Great work space and very intelligent coworkers.

Cons

In my opinion, customer service was sacrificed for growth and now the customer experience is often poor. Small issues continue to get overlooked and never get fixed. Competition has caught up and true innovation has slowed.

Pay attention to the little things and focus more on customer (and employee) retention.