Sucker Punch Productions Reviews

4.1
Brian Fleming

Happy Sucker Puncher

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions

Pros

This is a tight knit community where your opinion matters which keeps you inspired, stretching your skill sets and growing in new areas all the time. I am relaxed, comfortable to collaborate beyond my department, and experience a healthy work life balance being at Sucker Punch. The people here are highly skilled and down to earth.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the acknowledgement, advice and attention you give all of us.

Good company, but could be so much better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people in design and engineering, talented artists, the cafeteria is stocked with the best, Sony perks are great.

Cons

Confused management stuck in the last decade, decisions are made and changed all the time causing critical stress on employees, no art leadership, several special snowflakes making life harder for everybody else.

Advice to Management

Join the best studios in the year 2015, instead of trying to stay stuck in the early 2000's. Games need more than just strong shaders and good art and code, it needs heart too. Improve communication between teams, and stop meddling in every little thing that happens. Let the teams have more freedom to run their shows.

Perhaps the best experience Ive had in my 7 years making games

Former Employee - Environment Artist ( Modeler ) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Environment Artist ( Modeler ) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Suckerpunch has been the best studio Ive worked for in my career. The staff are welcoming and a pleasure to work with. Upper management has made sure that the people who really know their stuff are in leadership roles. Ideas and brainstorming are encouraged. The quality of art is top notch and I feel privileged to have worked here.

Cons

Usually, wherever one works, there are negatives, but in this case I really cant think of any.

At Sucker Punch I get to have fun, make awesome stuff, and work with really smart people.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

SP has a big focus on productivity and pushes itself with respect to quality. Everyone can have a positive effect on the quality of the game. Cooperation is a big focus, with fairly tactically minimal management intrusion. SP has less crunch compared to most of the industry (pretty minimal). There are lots people with families at SP and that is reflected in the games we make (have not made an M rated game).

Cons

You have to be able to get over your ego to succeed here (pro for me). Requires constant effort to learn and improve quality of work (pro for me, but not for everyone). SP is not averse to cutting under-performing staff if things can't be improved. This is painful, but seemingly unavoidable in a competitive industry. SP has increased in size over the years and communication across the team has sometimes suffered.

Fantastic team. Most organized game industry company I've been with

Current Employee - Environment Artist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Environment Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sucker Punch is great. We have a great talent pool and everyone communicates plainly. It's been very easy to feel comfortable and very much at *home* when at work. I've been at a few varying studios in the games industry, and Sucker Punch has easily been the best experience yet.

Cons

Every company has a few frustrations. Sucker punch has very few. If I were to choose something, I'd say that design decisions can sometimes feel counterproductive - but this is true at most companies.

Advice to Management

Keep making sure that passion is poured into games and that they grow on all fronts. As one of the top AAA studios, remember that the world expects breathtaking, inspired, and truly passionately, lovingly-created experiences. It only becomes more and more important that each upcoming game holds meaning, and is an experience, and art piece, and a real sense of emotion. Video games are no longer simple entertainment. The video game is a platform, a medium, to portray ideas and stories and experiences and touch lives and minds. For some, they shape our view of the world, and spark inspiration, and that should never be taken lightly. You've been doing a great job so far.

Sucker Punch Productions Response

Jan 17, 2014 – EE Relations

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are looking to make cultural and organizational shifts that will enable us to elevate the products' success to the next level. Glad to have ... More

Sucker Punch Productions exceeded high expectations

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions

Pros

Brilliant people. I have tremendous respect for everyone in this studio. I had the opportunity to be creative, learn, and interact freely with any team member. Overall, the greatest group of people you'll find in a game studio. Positive work environment, great culture. Friendly and fun.

Cons

I honestly have nothing to note.

Doing well/could be doing better

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions full-time

Pros

Very flexible. You’re able to take PTO as you wish (and the PTO is actually quite generous). Deadlines don’t seem to get in the way. Management seems honest and sincere. They are also intelligent and typically accountable.

Cons

Every other team has an interpersonal issue that management has yet to get under control. Think the team is capable of creating a better performing game. This seems to be entirely trickle-down and preventable. PTO is seemingly flexible to a fault. Often folks are gone during important milestones, and superiors are not holding them accountable.

Advice to Management

Create a vision and follow through. The company needs great leadership. Some cuts have to be made on the staff for the good of the game and company.

Talented people who want to make the best game possible

Former Contractor - Senior Animator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior Animator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of passionate artists who want the game to look and play great.

Cons

Communication about the schedule and changes was not forthcoming to all levels.

Advice to Management

More communication

Don't buy the hype.

I have been working at Sucker Punch Productions

Pros

Working on big titles for a console manufacturer is a good place to be for now, but it is pretty difficult to imagine what games will look like ten years form now. Sucker Punch is pretty good about work life balance for a game company, but not because of any particular process employed. SPP succeeds through sheer quality of hires.

Cons

The pay is bad. You will be fed stories about how the profit sharing payouts make up for it, but don't buy it. Large tech companies (e.g. Microsoft, Google, etc.) have much larger bonus payouts and will also offer a higher base salary. I think AAA console titles is a very high risk place to work, and I don't believe Sucker Punch has what it takes to succeed in that arena.

Advice to Management

Management gives a lot of lip service to things (Bonus Pay, Flex time, etc.) that aren't actually delivered on. Don't believe the hype.

11. They are bunch of very creative people and are very excited about making good video games

I worked at Sucker Punch Productions

Pros

To be able to work on the few of the best PlayStation 3 games.

Cons

Every companies have their own issues and Sucker Punch is no exception.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication flowing between the team members

RSS Feed </> Embed