Suddath Companies

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.4

Barry S. Vaughn

Wonderful people, reasonable pay, helpful and friendly

Former Employee - Accountant in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Accountant in Eagan, MN

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are such a joy to work with. Very caring and willing to help. They don't micromanage and are willing to give you flexibility to those with families or those dealing with family problems.

Cons

Not always getting what you ask for. If you need more experience in an area and you voice you need xyz for more experience, may not always happen. If you're persistent then maybe it'll pay off. If you're like me, make mention and if they listen they listen and give you what you need to succeed and if not, that's their fault. In the end, it falls on you because they'll see where you are weak so it's up to you to hound those you need to for the training you need if you need more than what was given.

It's helpful if you don't lose communication in the shuffle of things. It's helpful to reassure a new employee if they're doing ok. Between 3-6 months is a good place to review where more training is needed or where to take on more work etc.

OK place to start off working. Would not suggest staying here.

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire new college graduates. They have a pretty good health insurance program. Most staff was very nice and helpful. Only had a few issues with some employees. Location was nice (I was not at home office in Jacksonville). My location had me change positions 5 different times. Mostly they were advancements. Only 1 ever came with a pay raise. You can move up, however many managers are set in stone and will be there till they die. Which can be good, and bad depending on if you get along with them. Mine was a fantastic leader.

Cons

Pay was not great. I worked extremely long hours. Sometimes starting at 6am and staying till 6,7,8,9, and even 10pm. I was Salary and thus this was free time for them. This was not always the case. This was because of large projects we had going on or waiting on trucks to show up that were very late or had specific cargo that must be unloaded or loaded. However it happened a lot. Hourly employee's would hit the deck at 5pm, but those of us on Salary were almost made to feel like leaving on time at 5pm was a sin. A few times early on here, my manager would give me items to complete at 4pm that would take about 2 hours to complete. Not a very nice thing to do to someone with barely a year on their belt here. Once I moved up from this position, I did get more experience in many different things. Mostly the pay, and extreme hours were the deal breakers. They also have a knack for keeping outdated systems and practices in place. They keep very old employees who really should retire, and leave us younger willing to do anything employees just hanging on. Get in, get some experience, and move on to another company. The moving industry is tough, and the margins are tight.

Put money into your equipment. Its hard to make money when trucks/trailers/vans break down on job sites. It also makes us in sales and or dispatch look bad. Overall I know the margins are tight and paying people more for jobs where most of them don't even have a GED is a tough call. But with some more money spent in the right places they could really be leaders. Would also help to let us use our degree's and skills and not have people who can't move on continue doing poor jobs.

Great experience

Former Employee - Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility and the joy working with people.

Cons

Long hours, not enough communication between departments

Listen to the people who are helping to coordinate shipments

Borderline dead end..

I worked at Suddath Companies

Pros

Workers become like family.
    Benefits ok.
    Meet celebrities.

Cons

No advancement in pay.
    Always excuse why no raises.
    Inconsistent hours even when Full-time.
    Firing at random creates discomfort in level of work.

Create more incentives for workers. Show more loyalty to workers who take pride in their work. Stop with excuses, give raises and stop buying junk equipment and calling it gold.

Not a company on the move...

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Suddath Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice people here and the job was not overly challenging. Benefits were decent, and parking was free.

Cons

Pay was average for Jacksonville, bonus structure was arbitrary and 401k was the worst I have ever had (1x annual contribution based on performance - no dollar cost averaging!). Lots of senior management, lots of meetings, lots of egos. I was a senior manager at my former company and was a middle manager here, totally underutilized. Nobody wants to change anything. What a frustrating experience, and something a career detour I wish I had not taken.

When intelligent and driven employees are resigning due to frustration and career stagnation, it is time to take a look at your management structure.

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time

Pros

Family oriented company. My manager was always willing to work with any changes in my schedule, as long as there was open communication and advanced notice. I'd say over half of the employees in the home office are young professionals. It's definitely a work hard play hard workplace.

Cons

Very difficult to move up within the company. President and EVP positions are held by white males who have been in the business for many years. They are stuck in their old ways and do not see the benefits and necessity of making changes. Additionally, there are individuals working there who do not pull their own weight and skate by doing nothing. But somehow these people have higher positions and make more money than people who work 2x harder. Very frustrating.

Value the younger generation individuals who are coming in busting their butts and trying to prove themselves. Not all millennials are lazy and want things handed to them.

Expect to do the work of 2, if you will, pay is average, benefits are good

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time

Pros

opportunity to grow if you are willing to learn and give 110%
    good benefits that are available after 90 days but start accumulating day 1
    agree with other review, your experience is directly attached to your specific manager

Cons

pay raise infrequent
    work long hours

reward those who give 120%
    solicit and accept anonymous input
    work harder to create a true team, insprire, motivate and reward

Nice place but low pay and lots of politics

Current Employee - IT Department in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Department in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Suddath Companies part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free continental breakfast always available, very friendly people, some raises and bonuses.

Cons

They will get away with as low of pay as you let them. Some very Good and very bad managers, have to get lucky.

review mid managers and make sure they are fulfilling their jobs correctly

Supportive Company

Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Suddath Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management actually cares. No one is above or below another person. It's not a perfect company; there are still people in management who we wonder how they got to their position, but for the most part it's a very good atmosphere. If mistakes are made instead of coming down on us we all work together for a solution so the mistake doesn't happen again.

Cons

They could pay a bit more.

California is very expensive compared to Florida!!!

Great service provider, company you can be proud to represent

Current Employee - Relocation Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Relocation Consultant in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Suddath Companies

Pros

Great quality, financially strong & stable

Cons

A lot of miles on personal vehicle with a flat auto allowance does not cover fuel expenses.

Should consider a more realistic auto allowance based on miles driven.