Suddenlink Communications Reviews

108 reviews filtered by
3.5
Suddenlink Communications CEO Jerry Kent
Jerry Kent

Pros
  • free cable and internet and a pay check and a work truck to drive home that's about it (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, (free cable and Internet) only paying for modems and cable boxes (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • The used to actually care about the ppl who help run the company, who get the sales for the upper management to get their pay (in 8 reviews)

• Questionable decision-making at the call center level (in 7 reviews)

1. A dedicated team in a family oriented environment.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and perks + a great working environment = happy employees. Suddenlink has this equation perfected. They take care of their employees. Time-off policies are standard for major corporations. 2+ weeks a year with an exponential increase.

Cons

None come to mind in the 2 1/2 years I've been with the company that wouldn't be the same small things that come with any job or corporation.

Better Be Related To Someone.

Former Employee - Warehouse/Converter Tech BBT1 in Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Warehouse/Converter Tech BBT1 in Beckley, WV

I worked at Suddenlink Communications

Pros

Anybody who was not management were great to work with.

Cons

They based almost all of their hiring and promotions on the "Good Ole Boy" program. Which means that if you didn't know someone or were related to them you didn't get hired or promoted. The Service Technicians work long hours dealing with disgruntled customers for little pay. The management did not care if the Techs had any materials or tools to work with and lord forbid if you tried to help them get what they needed. I ran a warehouse for Suddenstink and just getting tools for the ones that broke from "Fair Wear and Tear" was a chore. The outlying offices that I covered were ecstatic that I was running the warehouse because they were finally able to get the tools and materials that have been asking for, for years. Needless to say that I still talk to some of these Techs and they say it has gone back to the old ways and are no longer getting what they asked for.

My advice to management would be to clear out, stop pushing sales on everyone for some little trophy that doesn't mean anything. Pay more attention to your customers and stop avoiding them. Take care of your Technicians because they are the ones that the customers see and hear customers complaints in person. If you have Techs who are disgruntled because of lack of management support they will bad mouth company and who can blame them.

3. Needs work

Current Employee - CSR-Technical Support in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - CSR-Technical Support in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications

Pros

Decent Pay, commission, shift bid

Cons

Poor Communication
    Ever changing system before the current one has been mastered
    Poor staffing
    BS Vacation/Sick Accrual

Get organized, staff properly, change the way vacation and sick time are issued.

5. A great company to work for!

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company is unlike many others. They actually put value on their employees and they give their employees the recognition, training and perks that many others have begun cutting back on. As a Broadband Technician, I have been given a ton of nationally recognized training (SCTE) and have been allowed to not only apply for and been granted access to training, I have also been enrolled in training I would have never thought of taking. And I was rewarded with not only personal but also professional enrichment. I want a class, I ask. I want to learn something before class or brush up, I use the company provided training on the company website; at work or at home. A job is only what you make it, up to the point you receive support from the company. This company will provide you with all the support you want. On a big plus side, the company rewards you for passing classes you should pass to promote (in the form of bonuses) and rewards you in providing nationally accredited and recognized training (SCTE) for doing so - at no cost to you.

I personally think that Jerry Kent is a great leader. Having worked for a bunch of corporations who have leaders I don't agree with, Jerry Kent is a terrific change of pace. He sends video emails to all employees regarding to important changes, he also sends emails to all employees. Rather than give a short statement that may or may not be read by all employees, he makes sure we know why things are the way they are. And he has the fortitude to stand up against situations he sees as wrong (Viacom) and explain why. As a basic line employee, who has worked in upper management, it's a refreshing change to see someone talk to everyone on a common level rather than make decisions and allow the lower ranks to speculate on why changes were made. A little information goes a long way and it's clear that Mr. Kent understands this concept.

Cons

If you are a low performer, or a person that has no ambition, this company may be a bit much for you. It gives you the ability and the tools to excel. Promotions are up to you, bonuses are up to you. Sink or swim - it's up to you. If you want to be a rock star, you are a rock star. If you want a job just for a paycheck and only want to do the minimum - you'll still have a job, but it won't be as rewarding.

A little bit more communication on upgrades to the system and to daily use tools (like ETA Direct) would be awesome. If I were in charge, I'd make sure dispatch and BBT's would all get internal press releases on system upgrades that include information about the upgrade, time until roll out and pertinent facts. I'd also make sure that before making major changes to ETA Direct like the roll out of the WHC, I'd make sure all BBT's and dispatchers were given a press release and/or briefing on the software change.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications

Pros

Good work tight team to work with

Cons

Slow to get upgrades in equipment

Youre doing well

7. Extradinary

Current Employee - Intern in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications

Pros

Great benefits and awesome work enviornment

Cons

N/A because everything at Suddenlink is great!

Keep up the good work

Above Average

Current Employee - Broadband Technician III in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Broadband Technician III in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hourly pay for the area. Good promotional opportunities. Extremely good benefits, including free cable, internet, phone.

Cons

A lot of overtime in the summer months.

Upper Management is good but often expects you to work long work weeks and no notice ahead of time of mandatory OT.

Change is constant, if you can deal with that then you can have a good time at Suddenlink.

Former Employee - CSR-Technical Support in Parkersburg, WV
    Former Employee - CSR-Technical Support in Parkersburg, WV

I worked at Suddenlink Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training is relatively good and the trainers themselves are great people. They're nice, fun, and they really do want to see you succeed.

The pay was good for the area and for the job requirements. It's a job that almost anyone can do with training, so the pay was reasonable considering that.

The vacation and sick time were very reasonable, probably better than average. Benefits were fairly good too, I think they offer them after 90 days but it's hard to remember.

Another nice thing is that you get free cable and internet, with no cap on your internet usage and almost every channel available.

Having said all that, the number one reason to stay at Suddenlink is because of the people that work there. Despite all the BS from upper management, just about every supervisor is nice and helpful, and the VP of the Atlantic region (and the one in charge of the call center) Katie Kelly is super awesome. Really, she's a great person.

Cons

Working in a call center gets very old, very fast. Over the time I worked there, sales requirements also got more and more harsh, and customer service seemed to take a back seat to selling.

Communication between upper management and the customer service reps was shoddy at best, and downright deceitful at worst. A policy may change without you ever knowing about it (especially if it's a beneficial change to the attendance policy), or you can ask 3 supervisors the same question and get 5 different answers for example.

There's little room for advancement above supervisor. There simply weren't many positions above supervisor, and the people that occupied them had been around for a long time and weren't going anywhere.

Trust your employees. Don't be deceitful and patronizing to everyone just because of a few bad apples.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Suddenlink Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management shows interest in your development within your job description

Cons

Hard to move up in the company

Great benefits but sales driven

Current Employee - Technical Support in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Suddenlink Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, full-time, optional overtime, great commissions, nice friendly environment.

Cons

Sales driven, money hungry, confusing billing, doesn't listen to staff or customers, drops channels without notice.

Suddenlink Communications Photos