Sudler & Hennessey

Jed Beitler

Lively

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The office environment is very friendly and social. Upper management is very willing to help and give their opinions to those who ask. Ice cream in the summer!

Cons

Can be long hours and times. Common stress of working in an ad environment.

Good company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice building and office space.

Cons

Work/life balance isn't the best. Long hours without overtime

No room for promotion & Not suggested to build career (except freelancing)

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey

Pros

Office is clean and work space is pretty wide. Near union square park.

Cons

The pay is very low compared to other industries and companies.
    People are not intelligent compared to others.
    SH don't hire staff - hire freelancer instead to avoid paying benefits.
    From what I heard, project management work environment seems worse.

Don't be too top management-heavy.
    Some of your mission statement is corny...
    You need to value your employees more.

Couldn't Agree More

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (less than an year)

Pros

location, hmmmmmm, let me think, that is all.

Cons

Sadly, it doesn't appear to have changed a bit. For those who wrote bad reviews - I feel every ounce of your pain. Actually, I worked there in the late 90's for 8 months and it sucked so much I just up and quite! I was interviewing at the time, but I had not secured a new job. I just had to get out. It is full of stupid, petty, no talent, unprofessional, has bins, who are extremely bitter because they never amounted to anything in advertising. The younger folks are slightly less horrible, but there is a reason they are there...they are not very good/talented. Be warned: this sector of advertising is not consider advertising by the folks on Mad Ave. and it never will be. It is consider the reject bin (young or old). If you have any chops/talent/professionalism, you should be able to get work on a good account with smart people. Everyone is there for a paycheck and would walk in a split second if a REAL consumer agency expressed any interest. Which will never happen. They all just rotate between the Pharma shops in NYC and NJ.

Resign, immediately. The day I walked out for the last time, I remember a lovely calm overtaking me. That's because I realized I would never, ever, ever, ever have to go back to that third rate hell-hole again.

Avoid This Company

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I found another job and got out.

Cons

Management is terrible, Incompetent and lazy. If you work hard you will never be appreciated, if you are an asset you will never be respected or promoted. It is a high school environment where there is gossipping, bullying and it is all encouraged all and nurtured by management. The responsibilities are disproportionately distributed, you can be overworked while your coworkers can watch movies, chat on yahoo or facebook or just hangout and have a 40-60 min conversation when work needs to get done. People will be allowed to send you disrespectful or condescending emails and if you defend yourself you will be reprimanded. If you are reading this and are thinking of applying, interviewing or considering accepting an offer for this job, you will experience EXTREME buyers remorse. I WARN YOU, do not work here you will be very dissatisfied.

Replace current management with people that value their employees, that back their employees and want to see the best in them.

Potential employees are strongly advised to stay away from this employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Oh yes...one...that I left the place

Cons

Racially divided culture, ppl of ethnicity protect their own and conspire against others. No work/life balance. The agency is run like a sweat shop--work all hours--no matter what it takes to get the job done. No raises, no bonuses, no overtime regardless of how hard you work or how much you work. Understandably, employee turnover is very high. Absolutely no consideration or respect for employees. Taking vacation is looked down upon and retaliation ensues. Benefits are minimal and the employee has to cover most of the cost. Also, 401k choices are greatly restricted and the fees charged to the worker are high.

Pull your heads from the sand and wake up to the fact that you are loosing talent due to the company's poor treatment and absolute disrespect for employees. Employee does not equal slave. Stop the racial discrimination and recognize that it is strictly prohibited under federal and state laws.

Recognize that S&H will never be the best agency in the business without change in management. Otherwise, why is the company losing clients a dime a dozen? Even the client can see through the S&H promise of smoke and mirrors.

The most disturbing management tactics I have ever encountered

Current Employee - Group Copy Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Copy Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice neighborhood. Near transportation. Decent places to eat lunch and a Starbucks across the street (sorry. the pros have to be at least 20 words). Like any place there are some good people there.

Cons

Not judged in work quality but how late you are willing to stay at night.

Get rod of the dead wood

Refreshing

I have been working at Sudler & Hennessey full-time

Pros

People at S&H are driven to product high-quality work, supports a creative environment. Hands-off management style lets teams run their own brands. Valued employees are well-compensated. Very flexible and supportive of individual employees. Great location and great people.

Cons

Can be slow to cut dead weight. Account services and production are particularly uneven. The print production studio is understaffed, and the digital production studio DNE so art directors have to handle it.

Be more consistent with expectations across employees and hold people accountable when they fall short of expectation.

Needs updating

I worked at Sudler & Hennessey

Pros

People are friendly for the most part; location is convenient.

Cons

Technology is behind the times.

Good

Current Employee - Scientific Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Scientific Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sudler & Hennessey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

S&H has a very good environment and atmosphere, people are nice and seem to care about what they do. The office is located by union square, which is a great location.

Cons

S&H is not particularly well known for their salary compensation. Furthermore, the medical benefits could definitely use an upgrade. Finally, they need to pay their medical staff better, as this is a HEALTHCARE communications agency.

Compensate employees more competitively (salary and health benefits)