Suffolk County Community College

CEO

Best place to work 2014

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Brentwood, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Brentwood, NY

I have been working at Suffolk County Community College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, leadership is great, lots of autonomy

Cons

Its a state school so salary is basic

ok

Current Employee - Faculty
    Current Employee - Faculty

I have been working at Suffolk County Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits; good vacation time

Cons

politics; hire families and friends.

Great People, Great Job!

Former Employee - Adjunct
    Former Employee - Adjunct

I worked at Suffolk County Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean and optimistic setting. Feel comfortable and inspired by other teachers.

Cons

Hard to get something full time. Have to sometimes deal with annoying co-workers but that's expected anywhere. The pay is pretty lousy for an adjunct. They need more full time workers or start paying adjuncts a reasonable salary.

Get rid of ancient professors and hire some new and enthusiastic teachers.

Don't expect much

Former Employee - Adjunct in Selden, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct in Selden, NY

I worked at Suffolk County Community College part-time

Pros

flexible work hours, decent benefits

Cons

too much bureaucracy and employees left to their own devices too often

focus on developing staff rather than covering your own butts

Assistant Coach

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Selden, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Selden, NY

I worked at Suffolk County Community College as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and flexible schedule

Cons

Two year school so team is always changing

Should have a mandatory amount of practice/game hours and study hall hours

Peer Facilitator sounds pretentious, but it's fun.

Former Employee - Peer Facilitator in Selden, NY
    Former Employee - Peer Facilitator in Selden, NY

I worked at Suffolk County Community College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

During New Student Orientation, being a peer facilitator gives you the chance to make friends with the people you're working with, and give new students and often times their parents a good perspective on being a student at Suffolk.

During training, you learn a lot about the school, which department does what, and where to go to do this and that which is good to know both during orientation week and after, since so many people don't take the time to come to an orientation meeting even if they're already on-campus during orientation week to get books, student ID, etcetera, and so don't know anything beyond what building their classes are in--maybe--and there are always opportunities to help people out just being on campus.

Learning to give and then giving campus tours was fun and informative. I wish I had gone on a walking tour when I was a freshman, but I thought it would be boring.

Provided for you: food, snacks, and drinks during training and on the job (two meals during training, three during orientation, drinks and snacks always, if I remember correctly); a shirt etc. to wear on the job. We had the chance to give our input on what sort of shirt we wanted, which was cool. I'm not so sure I'll ever wear the shirt from Fall orientation again, but I still wear the hoodie we got for Spring orientation. I am happy to be free advertising.

A contracted temporary job is a plus for me. The pay is decent, and it's nice to get a check the day you're done working.

Getting involved with Campus Activities opens up new one-off job opportunities, like giving campus tours during the school year, and, possibly more importantly (if you do well during fall orientation) an invitation to work the Spring Semester's Orientation as well.

Also you get the chance to work with the awesome faculty, and chances to go on various leadership seminars (also informative, and with free food).

Cons

If you can't stand people, this is probably not the job for you, though I generally tend to dislike people-oriented jobs, and I had a lot of fun, so obviously your mileage may vary.

Orientation week isn't very long, but you spend around 10+ hours a day greeting students and parents, leading campus tours, talking to students about the school in more formalized information sessions, interacting with students waiting in line to get their student ID, and the requisite setup, cleanup, and general tidying.

There are lots of info packets to compile, too, so beware papercuts.

The biggest cons of this job are likely to be the same as with any service-type job. Lots of people, lots of walking and standing, potential conflicts with coworkers, etcetera.

Keep doing what you're doing. :) CAB is awesome to work with.

Succeeding in spite of itself

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Suffolk County Community College

Pros

The salary and benefits are outstanding. At times I have felt that I'm overpaid. As of right now you don't pay for your health benefits and the vacation time is overly generous. Also, as compared to a 4-year institution, you have very little night and weekend work.

Cons

Institution is VERY top-heavy. There are a whole class of college-wide Associate Deans who seem to do nothing. The institution would benefit from putting them back into the classroom and having lower paid administrators absorb their job functions.

Listen to your people. The upper levels do NOT accept criticism well and have created an environment of fear of speaking up. The institution also gives in too easily to the few senior faculty who are entrenched and not open to new or fresh ideas.