Suffolk County, New York

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven Bellone

Dept. of Health

Public Health Sanitarian (Former Employee)
Farmingville, NY

I worked at Suffolk County, New York full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent boss: knowledgeable, dedicated, helpful, and provided new employees with scaffolding for success

ConsBudget crisis in County effects last hired

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics interfere with projects.

Seasonal Employment

I worked at Suffolk County, New York

ProsLaid Back Environment. Mostly all friendly people. Feel comfortable and not stressed.

ConsLow pay. Some rude people.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Ok summer job in Parks

I worked at Suffolk County, New York part-time for less than a year

ProsSomewhat relaxed work environment
Friendly co-workers
Minimal red tape
Working outside a plus 90% of the time

ConsThey keep you to 35 hours
Could have better oversight of workers (I had some lazy co-workers)
Job demands were variable. Some days tough, other days really relaxed.
Pay was not much higher than min wage
Have to work weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much advice, they do what they can with a limited budget and I respect them for that.

Suffolk PD

Lieutenant (Current Employee)
Yaphank, NY

I have been working at Suffolk County, New York full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding salary and benefits, great lifetime pension ,lifetime healthcare ,A job that has meaning with a feeling of personal accomplishment

Consstrict reliance on civil service exams for promotion

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the Police Officers ,many of them are highly educated ,dedicated workers who can contribute to the goals and objectives of the department.

Infrastructure Manager

Infrastructure Manager (Former Employee)
Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Suffolk County, New York full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat leadership in the IT department and chance to work with relevant technologies.

ConsAdministration decisions have destroyed moral and focus of department.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Directors and Commissioners of the County departments.

Review

Administrator (Current Employee)
Yaphank, NY

I have been working at Suffolk County, New York

ProsThe benefits are great and we have a pension.

ConsWe are currently understaffed and upper management does not have a plan to deal with the inevitable inability to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being proactive rather than reactive.

The best legal job you'll ever have.

Assistant District Attorney (Current Employee)
Central Islip, NY

I have been working at Suffolk County, New York

ProsThe people you work with are generally fantastic, and not uptight like many legal employers. If you work in the office, you will make life-long friends whether you retire from the office or leave after a few years. The work also has a direct impact on your community because you prosecute crimes against members of Suffolk County (yes, there is a residency requirement.) Also, from the first day you are given much more discretion than prosecutors in other offices in NY state, and you will gain trial experience that is unheard of at big firms.

ConsThe salary. Six figure salaries are almost a necessity when you graduate law school with six figure debt, but there are many loan forgiveness plans that you may be able to take advantage of if you can make it through 3-5 years in the office. Also, the job can be very political in both office politics and public opinion dictating how you do your job--i.e. policies instituted due to public pressure, which reduce your discretion in certain matters. Another big downside is that if you screw up you could end up in the newspaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy and large, my experience with management has been very good. I would say that communication between bureaus could be improved so that certain things don't fall through the cracks and cause headaches. Also, it would be nice if there could be an office wide update of technology and modernization--but this is limited more by government budget than management.

Benefits of Working for Suffolk County Depend on Your Long-Term Goals

Analyst (Former Employee)
Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Suffolk County, New York

ProsThe compensation and benefits of this job are incredible and certainly worth considering. A civil service job provides job security, and with Suffolk County being one of the most affluent counties in the US, the compensation is pretty good. It is also conducive to a family lifestyle. All employees ultimately respond to an elected official who demands that employees take ownership of their work. If you can do this well, you have the opportunity to really shine. The County Executive is a known fiscal conservative, and he asks very prudent and pressing questions when it comes to initiatives that influence the budget and potentially cost the taxpayers money. This provides an excellent opportunity for professional development; the experience is certainly what you make of it. The most important question to ask yourself is "What am I looking for in a job, and what are my goals?" Then compare your answers to my ratings, and see where you land.

ConsThere is very little transparency of executive and senior management decisions. Unfortunately, what happens in instances like this, conspiracy theories on decisions will prevail (which are oftentimes more damaging and demoralizing than the truth). While there is a great potential for professional development with the County, you need to be a self-starter to grow. Senior Management does not manage staff as much as they give directives. Furthermore, the old adage regarding politics is "it's not what you know, but who you know," and this holds true in Suffolk County as well. While a civil service system is in place, there are ways around the system to offer appointments/promotions to preferred candidates. This leads to an unnecessary amount of competition, and undermines the civil service system.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for the County has great potential, and there are a number of extremely qualified employees in the system. However, those employees will leave the system if they are not properly managed. While some management discretion is inherently necessary, I would encourage Senior Management to increase transparency with their staff and remain active in their professional development. This benefits management, and ultimately, reflects positively on the County Executive.

Overall positive experience.

I have been working at Suffolk County, New York full-time

ProsGreat health and retirement benefits.

ConsLittle room for advancement and civil service protects incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

Stable Secure Work

I worked at Suffolk County, New York full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work was stable, secure, and you see what you are doing directly affecting your community. Rarely were there very long hours. Pay was reasonable, benefits great.

ConsComplacent employee attitudes can be toxic, no clear path for growth re: responsibilities, very hierarchical.

Advice to Senior Managementengage with newer and lower ranked employees. encourage more comradery, encourage high performers with promotional opportunities, engage in mentorship programs.

Worked for Suffolk County, New York? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Suffolk County, New York reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Suffolk County, New York CEO Steven Bellone . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Suffolk County, New York employees.