Sugar Publishing

Sugar Publishing Reviews

2.4

Brian Sugar
1 Rating

Fun, fast paced, smart people and chaotic!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sugar Publishing

Pros

really fun co-workers, u get to read popsugar, lots of energy

Cons

growing fast causes chaos and lack of communication

explain strategy more and what others are doing

Chaotic + Exhausting

I have been working at Sugar Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun brands/celebs to work with

Cons

Terrible internal attitude... lack of leadership and vision... lots of incompetent people in key roles

So many positives, but WAY more negatives

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sugar Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the individual teams were so fun. We got each other through the day, made ourselves laugh. We depended on each other, and everyone was willing to drop everything and help the other. We created a family.

Cons

The executive team was the worst I have ever come across. Conniving and cold to each other, it was like being back in high school. We all regularly keep emails and voicemails from our bosses, because they are downright illegal, not to mention cruel.

Pay attention to your staff. We're the ones executing. You DID hire some of the smartest people I've ever met. And we know this company and have the relationships with the clients and vendors that make you money. Respect our ideas. Don't be so cruel and calculating. The personal attacks are recorded, trust me, and will get you in the end.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glorified Sorority House

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sugar Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company hands over great gadgets at the outset of employment (MacBook Pro and iPhone), and I learned a great deal about online publishing while at this company. Health benefits are fantastic, and the kitchen is always stocked with healthful, yummy snacks.

Cons

The gadgets mentioned above are given to employees because they serve as leashes -- from which the company will choke your freedom. I worked every weekend and was paid pennies, with little appreciation for my effort. Nepotism is a tremendous problem, as is the sorority house environment. If you're not friends with the bosses, then you're not a cool kid in the office -- and you're most likely not climbing the ladder anytime soon. Senior management has no clue how to deal with office politics and disputes. There's a general lack of communication regarding strategy and vision.

Take more interest in the well-being of your employees. Pay attention to and act on their grievances.

Don't truly care about their employees

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sugar Publishing

Pros

When you start you get a MacBook Pro and and iPhone. The environment is fun at times because it still has a start up feel. There is some flexibility on hours and working from home.

Cons

The senior management doesn't seem to have a a clear long term path to success of the company and they jump into things and make changes quickly without thinking about the impact. Employees are extremely underpaid. You are made to believe that the CEO and his wife truly care about their employees when in the end it is all business and about them making the most money, while most the people who work there are barely making ends meet in. On more that one occasion I witnessed people being unfairly treated, putting in years of service only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them. There is no tact in the decision they make. There is heavy turnover, and people tend to get burnt out quickly and in turn become negative.

No major advice. I would say try to get to know everyone that puts in their time for you and not just play favorites. Listen to your employees before they are to burnt out.

Poorly managed with incompetent executives

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sugar Publishing

Pros

You get some fun new toys when you arrive (MBP, iphone) and frequent happy hour invitations from overworked employees who need a drink.

Cons

Overall management and lack of communication between divisions is appalling. The term "strategy" is not part of the Sugar vocabulary. The communication that does exist is often very unprofessional.

Treat your employees with respect and remember that you are a celebrity gossip site, not Vogue. Do not let personal ideologies get in the way of the success of your company.

OK Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sugar Publishing

Pros

Small Co
    Some good people

Cons

Terrible management
    No organizational communication
    Lack of leadership

Hire adequate people in the exec roles

Fun, fast paced company!

I have been working at Sugar Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like women's media Sugar is a great place to work! The company moves fast and can be a little chaotic at times, but its much more fun than a large company that takes years to do anything!

I love using the sites and getting to read them as much as I want at work. ;)

People are really smart, energetic and passionate.. best bunch of co-workers I've had!

People get promoted that do a good job.

Cons

- Lots of firedrills and fast turnaround times
    - Intradepartment communication can be absent or strained
    - Lots of different businesses means you don't always know what is going on outside your group

- Spend more time explaining strategy to the company
    - Don't roll out major changes suddenly and expect everyone to scramble to accomodate

Nepotism

I have been working at Sugar Publishing

Pros

Great work benefits including health care and the attempt from HR to have company-wide events to boost morale. Fun environment.

Cons

With constant departmental "restructures" the career path you thought you were on week can/will be changed the next. From the perspective of just a regular employee it looks as though corporate decisions are made on a whim with little thought to how it will change the company in the future or how it will give us edge over competitors.

Want to move up? Find a way within the 200+ other employees to become friends with the people at the top, otherwise you'll continue to pull a meager salary and see little of the lavish lifestyle the executive team imagines the rest of the staff has. The frat/sorority vibe seems to be encouraged.

Work on employee happiness and creating a product they can be proud of.

cult of sugar

I worked at Sugar Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

this is a great place to work if you or your spouse are already friends with the founders

Cons

work environment is like a sorority house: the claws are out. overstaffed in editorial and management, absence of product management resources. audience growth achieved through acquisition vs. actually making a better mousetrap. surely one of the steamier piles in the Sequoia portfolio.

welcome to waterloo

Worked for Sugar Publishing? Contribute to the Community!