Sugar Publishing

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brian Sugar

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun, fast paced, smart people and chaotic!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosreally fun co-workers, u get to read popsugar, lots of energy

Consgrowing fast causes chaos and lack of communication

Advice to Senior Managementexplain strategy more and what others are doing

So many positives, but WAY more negatives

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosthe individual teams were so fun. We got each other through the day, made ourselves laugh. We depended on each other, and everyone was willing to drop everything and help the other. We created a family.

ConsThe executive team was the worst I have ever come across. Conniving and cold to each other, it was like being back in high school. We all regularly keep emails and voicemails from our bosses, because they are downright illegal, not to mention cruel.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your staff. We're the ones executing. You DID hire some of the smartest people I've ever met. And we know this company and have the relationships with the clients and vendors that make you money. Respect our ideas. Don't be so cruel and calculating. The personal attacks are recorded, trust me, and will get you in the end.

Glorified Sorority House

Associate Editor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany hands over great gadgets at the outset of employment (MacBook Pro and iPhone), and I learned a great deal about online publishing while at this company. Health benefits are fantastic, and the kitchen is always stocked with healthful, yummy snacks.

ConsThe gadgets mentioned above are given to employees because they serve as leashes -- from which the company will choke your freedom. I worked every weekend and was paid pennies, with little appreciation for my effort. Nepotism is a tremendous problem, as is the sorority house environment. If you're not friends with the bosses, then you're not a cool kid in the office -- and you're most likely not climbing the ladder anytime soon. Senior management has no clue how to deal with office politics and disputes. There's a general lack of communication regarding strategy and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more interest in the well-being of your employees. Pay attention to and act on their grievances.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't truly care about their employees

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWhen you start you get a MacBook Pro and and iPhone. The environment is fun at times because it still has a start up feel. There is some flexibility on hours and working from home.

ConsThe senior management doesn't seem to have a a clear long term path to success of the company and they jump into things and make changes quickly without thinking about the impact. Employees are extremely underpaid. You are made to believe that the CEO and his wife truly care about their employees when in the end it is all business and about them making the most money, while most the people who work there are barely making ends meet in. On more that one occasion I witnessed people being unfairly treated, putting in years of service only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them. There is no tact in the decision they make. There is heavy turnover, and people tend to get burnt out quickly and in turn become negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo major advice. I would say try to get to know everyone that puts in their time for you and not just play favorites. Listen to your employees before they are to burnt out.

Poorly managed with incompetent executives

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get some fun new toys when you arrive (MBP, iphone) and frequent happy hour invitations from overworked employees who need a drink.

ConsOverall management and lack of communication between divisions is appalling. The term "strategy" is not part of the Sugar vocabulary. The communication that does exist is often very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and remember that you are a celebrity gossip site, not Vogue. Do not let personal ideologies get in the way of the success of your company.

OK Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmall Co
    Some good people

ConsTerrible management
    No organizational communication
    Lack of leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementHire adequate people in the exec roles

Worked for Sugar Publishing? Contribute to the Community!