SugarCRM

SugarCRM Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin

Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC(in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing(in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks(in 3 reviews)

EXCITING time to be at Sugar!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsI really can't say enough about the energy, people, culture, product and focus of the company. We're going the right direction, doing all the right things, and everyone is working hard as a team to make it happen. This is a fun and exciting time to be at Sugar! I definitely don't agree with the negative comments I see on here, that's not been my experience, not even close.

ConsLike any high growth company, some growing pains. But these are just opportunities to improve the current processes and systems to scale for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Deceptive and unethical company

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey're in Cupertino. Comp was good at first until commissions were suddenly changed.

ConsDishonest management, constantly changing commissions, poor sales structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with your employees. Also be careful in who you hire for management.

Slow but positive progress.

ProsLoads of opportunity to innovate in the CRM space. There is a strong focus placed on Engineering talent and collaboration. If you are an ambitious self-starter, you'll do very well here. Also, if you are able to focus and follow-through on your plans you'll quickly establish yourself as a key resource.

There's no limits to what you can work on or the problems you can solve. Results and hard evidence are valued more than opinions or chit-chat.

Leadership and high level decisions can be influenced by anyone who is willing to understand the problem and propose alternatives. The executives are very accessible.

ConsCollaborative environments can be difficult to master. You have to understand a broad range of audiences and their priorities to properly sell your ideas internally. People with less assertive personalities might get trampled on or drowned out.

New employees tend to see so much opportunity for improvement, that they have trouble prioritizing what's most important.

There is a history of Shiny Penny Syndrome, but that has faded quite a bit over the past two years as the company has become more aware of it's own challenges.

Being primarily channel driven, we've struggled to understand our own model for success and don't listen to our partners and customers as much as we could.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus, focus, focus. Refine, refine, refine. We're seeing success in a number of areas, let's focus on reproducing that as much as we can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are a lot of positive things happening and a lot of excitement in the company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsLot of growth opportunities in the company

ConsStill new to processes but getting there

SugarCRM is a fantastic place to work!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsCompany shares the wealth, makes allowances for employees, rewards hard work, gives stock options, free lunches, company is moving in a great direction, CEO is fantastic, HR team are lovely and welcoming, every employee (including management) is approachable.

ConsA little bit of growing pains, but the staff are getting through it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Sugar has supported my goals of learning and growing into different roles

Manager, Product Marketing (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsOpen | Everyone from our CTO to our CEO and CPO are such humble people! They take the time to come by and talk ,explain and teach and interact with everyone! I have felt very encouraged by each one of them and they are the kind of leaders I want to grow into someday! I adore our CPO and draw my inspiration from her and my manager.
    Flexibility | I have been with Sugar for about 10 months. I started in capacity of Demand Gen and later felt like I needed to be challenged more. All i had to do was drop a line in an IM chat window to our CPO- OMG! She was all over it and took the time (45 minutes) to talk to me about my career goals and what I wanted to do and how I can get there.
    Great Learning Environment | I transitioned into the Products group and work with our VP of Products- she has taken the time to teach me and groom me. I have acquired new skills and everyone on the team (including engineering)has taken the extra effort to be patient with me and teach me as I transitioned.

Our HR department is always open to suggestions- welcoming and works hard to create an inclusive culture. They've always had fun events for all of us to come together and enjoy.

ConsCommute
    Wish there were more coffee shops- the one attached to the complex is PRICEY!

Wasted potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsReasonably solid company that has a strong global footprint, decent technology team.

ConsCan't get out of its own way, shoots itself in the foot on something major every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with what works when it's working, don't shove it to the side!

Great Potential - Disastrous Execution

ProsThe company is in a great place as far as the available CRM market. There are some people here who believe in the product and the company and who want to create a successful brand.

ConsThe company is its own worst enemy. A handful of people, at the highest level of the organization, seem to have their own agenda and are not open to any suggestions or ideas that do not fit that agenda. People are in positions of power here who are nowhere near senior enough to hold c-level titles. On the flip side, there are some very intelligent folks that bring great ideas and yet they are shot down again and again, and as a result nothing ever changes as far as forward momentum. Internal systems are atrocious. Backstabbing is the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to take the company to the next level, take the advice of the folks who are bringing the issues to your attention. How many different people have to raise the flag on the same issue before something is done to fix it? How many good people need to walk out the door?

hang in there

Prosyou will go thru many managers in less than a year, reorganizations,and changes. maybe the company will get acquired

Conshave integrity. We're honest, sincere, and treat others fairly is contradictory

SugarCRM is an OK place to work if you are an engineer.

Prosengineering culture, smart co-workers and cool projects to work on .

Conscomplex politics, lack of communication and no clear direction for anyone outside of engineering.

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!