SugarCRM

SugarCRM Reviews in Cupertino, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin

Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC (in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The time of my life

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

Pros- Great company values, everyone is really open and happy to help you out. The company is full of amazing and lovely people. My manager was fantastic to me and all of HR were happy to help with whatever problem I had.
    - Generous benefits package
    - Many company events for you to get to know people in the company
    - Free snacks, coffee and free lunch every wednesday.
    - Tons of free T-shirts.
    - You can create your own opportunities around the company.
    - Would very much recommend working here, even though I am leaving. I am purchasing all my stock before I leave.
    - Tons of committees to join around the company
    - gym reimbursement.

ConsThe year to year raises were lower than expected (4%). When you negotiate your offer, make sure it is a salary you can be happy with for at least a couple years before you sign, especially if you are an engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate engineers with their current market value.

automation engineer

Automation Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

Prosamazing experience, really good people and work environment

Conscannot think of any at the moment. In short no cons, a good company to work for.

After 10 years, company is becoming a start-up again

Developer (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

Pros- experience to carry to another career
    - challenging to allow individuals with talent to excel and be noticed
    - possibilities to affect new releases through collaboration
    - great for internal (cupertino) workers, and many company retreats

Cons- not enough resources to manage customer support requests
    - not enough remaining original staff / talent to carry on original SugarCRM traditions
    - as a open-source offering on the market, not enough feedback from developer community before releasing software

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to find balance with previous SugarCRM culture, and new company start-up model. Find a way to utilize previous customers experiences to guide future development in the product, and company as a whole.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great potential but constant re-organizations and changes in sales processes.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsGood benefits...fair pay...smart people. There can be a huge growth for Sugar if people stop playing the blame game when things go wrong.

Consvery limited career opportunity potential

The best company I worked in, already more than 5 years here

Staff Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsNice people here I like to work with them. They have great ideas for product Product has potential in the mid market and Enterprise market.

ConsUnder the growing pain from a small company to a big one.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter product shape and management, good road map will help to go public sooner.

Open friendly environment that has the edge of a start up with the stability and benefits of an established company

Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsFlat open management structure, truly agile
    Smart engaged technical people
    Encouraged to use latest methods and technology
    Movie days, weekly technical forums with meals,flexible work environment, good PTO, WFH policy
    Great family medical plans
    Everyone encouraged to take relevant courses

ConsNot sure if IPO will come anytime soon, but that said everything has its time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing

I love this place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsI've been in high tech for about 26 years, and worked at enough places to know a great company when I see it. I read some negative reviews here, and frankly it concerned me. But after meeting some great people in the interview process, I took a chance on them, just as they took a chance on me. And I'm SO glad we did! I feel lucky to be here! This review is not planted; nobody asked me to write it. I really feel this way. Here are some random thoughts and feelings about SugarCRM:

I have the best boss I've ever had. They treat their employees VERY well. They have by far the best HR department I've ever seen. Their Finance folks want to work with you rather than against you. The people are friendly, talented, dedicated, intelligent, and fun. They didn't beat me up in the interview process. They have a wonderful culture, they care about corporate values, and have a real sense of purpose. They spend money on employees (lunches, company anniversary parties, birthday desserts, well stocked kitchens, movie days, employee wellness, etc), which keeps us onsite more, which suits me just fine. We very much appreciate it! The product is solid, and rapidly improving. The IT infrastructure (my area) is OK, but also rapidly improving. They provide good work/life balance. Employees work hard, but enjoy it.

I admit I haven't been exposed to all areas of the company yet. And I'm sure there's some drama somewhere that I have yet to witness. I've heard about the politics, but haven't seen any of it on a large or even medium scale. From what I can tell, there were people that didn't work well with others that have been transitioned out, and very few still remain.

Overall, highly recommended!

ConsNot a whole lot to say in this area... They are a late-mode startup, and are going through the somewhat painful fun of transitioning from a small company mentality to that of a well-run enterprise. Maybe the only thing I don't like are the open-type cubes, with no privacy whatsoever. Everyone wears headphones to block out the noise! I have to go elsewhere to seek a quiet space from time to time. But weighed against all the positives, it's meaningless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course! We're going the right way. And please retain the existing fun and dynamic culture. I've seen too many great smaller companies lose their charm, fun, and mojo as they grow.

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsI've been working at Sugar for almost a year, and I feel very grateful to have found a workplace that inspires so much excitement and passion for its employees. Sugar is well-positioned in the market, and has experienced amazing growth year after year. To reward its employees, the CEO creates company-wide goals, and once we reach these, all employees receive a great thank you gift - these gifts have included Nexus 7 tablets, mountain bikes and an upcoming 10 year anniversary party in San Francisco, which all employees worldwide are invited to (plane tickets and hotel stays are also covered by the company). Not only does this show Sugar's generosity, but it shows how much the company cares about its employees, and in return, employees are motivated to perform and have a strong sense of loyalty to the company. Management is very receptive to the voice of the employees and welcomes new ideas. High-performing employees are recognized and rewarded. There is a lot of room for career advancement across the company as well.

ConsThe company is experiencing some growing pains as it matures, but nothing uncommon for a company of its size or position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing great! The passion and excitement that management shows for the future of the company is contagious.

Awesome experience

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsI came to work here, because in the interview process I learned that all 8 of the Sugar employees I encountered were enthusiastic, positive, high energy, clear minded, kind people—without exception—and sincere as well. SugarCRM is in a terrific position to move into the future in a spectacularly successful way, and I wanted to be a part of that. I regard SugarCRM as one of the places that is growing and I could establish a career track at. All of these factors were important to me.

What I have learned since is that SugarCRM is managed with goals and success in mind, but with a lot of heart and soul. I feel encouraged to grow and learn and am rewarded and recognized when I do perform well. The benefits package and overall approach to managing employees is generous, well above industry standard. The company clearly prioritizes treating its employees well, not just fairly. Team work, camaraderie is encouraged and the company regularly invests substantial sums to that end. I enjoy the people I work with—a lot! We are united in our endeavors and the enthusiasm towards that is pervasive thru departments and outlying locations. I have not been disappointed in any way since joining the SugarCRM team.

Consnormal concerns that come with job, versus say vacation :)

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management does a great job

Exciting, energetic, passionate and growing.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsThis company is evolving, learning and growing as it goes along - full of people that are passionate about what they do - think ten year old start up that transitioned into teenage years. Management is open from the CEO down to where all voices count, and all employees are empowered and invested in the future of what SugarCRM is going to become. SugarCRM is investing in it's employees - and that has a lot of value.

ConsThere are growing pains, but nothing out of the ordinary. These are opportunities to morph and grow, and to mature into an enterprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the passion coming - it's very addictive.

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!