SugarCRM

Updated September 27, 2014
3.6

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt (in 6 reviews)

• The executive management team has tremendous vision and the company is growing at an unprecedented rate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can get tilted at times (in 5 reviews)

• Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sweet Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

- I absolutely love the company culture. Sugar hit its 10 year mark this year, but it still maintains a fun, start-up vibe. You can feel how passionate the exec team is, especially our founder, and the enthusiasm among the employees is contagious. Sugar is also very thoughtful to its employees, the exec team will set company milestones and when these milestones are reached, every employee worldwide is rewarded with a gift, some past gifts have been Nexus 7 tablets, mountain bikes, and the huge, 10 year anniversary party at the Bently Reserve in San Francisco. This is a fun and productive way to keep employees engaged and showing how we are valued.

- Great benefits. The company is very generous when it comes to contributing to medical costs and offers a really great medical package. Sugar also offers a weekly yoga class just for employees at the beautiful Bay Club gym across the street, a weekly boot camp/kickboxing class, weekly lunches, an annual summer picnic, fun holiday parties, up to $1000 to use towards tuition or classes within your job scope per year, spirit weeks with prizes, volunteer opportunities and partial gym membership reimbursement.

- Great people. The company really works to find "true sugas" who live up to our company values. There is even a great recognition program for employees who display our core values - value, innovative, open, integrity and passion - which shows how important these ideals are to the company as a whole. The company has an employee referral percentage at least twice the industry average, which shows that it is a great company to work for.

I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

Growing pains with recent reorgs, but this is to be expected at this point in the company's growth.

Great benefits and culture, love the new focus on employee training with Sugar University courses, looking forward to the next company milestone gift :-) .

I want to love Sugar again!

Current Employee - G&A Department in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - G&A Department in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have some great co-workers! Most of us are located in Cupertino, in a cool little complex. Sometimes we feel a bit separated from each other in the different buildings, but it's only a 2 minute walk to get to anyone. The only thing separating us is a cool fountain! They offer great benefits, perks, events and all the food/drinks you could imagine. They have stocked kitchens in every building, and do a great job at trying to accommodate everyone.

Cons

All the change is really hard. It seems like the leaders come and go on a very frequent basis. This makes it very difficult to feel safe and secure. Also, the company reorganizes frequently, some departments more than others. Again, very disruptive and hard to stay focused. Also, many of the leaders have very different philosophies on how to manage, where to focus, and what's important. It's not that any of them are necessarily wrong, but they go in opposing directions sometimes, and that's hard for an employee, because you feel like you are going to disappoint someone. Because off all the change, I'm working double time to keep up with the demand. I'd really like some work life-balance, but I currently don't really have a manager, so I'm not sure who to go to.

Please get on the same page! The company values that the HR department established are great! Abide by them. There are a lot of people here who love it here and want to be successful. But you have to get it right at the top. Hire the right leaders, agree on a direction and message, have the team leaders communicate that direction/message to the teams. I feel like I am free-falling, and that's not a very good feeling. I want to love working here again, so please give me a ray of hope. I want to remain a Suga!

Sugar is not as sweet as it used to be

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sugar tries very hard to take good care of their employees. The HR department does a great job in recognizing people and doing fun events. The work environment, overall, is very nice. Some spaces are overly crowded, and others are a bit more spread out, but overall nicely done. Facilities works with you to make sure you have what you need to be comfortable, from ergonomic consulting to automatic sit/stand desks. They provide lots of food and drinks in the kitchens.

So, all in all, Sugar provides a good experience for the employee - from the personnel side.

Cons

Where Sugar really struggles, is with the ever-changing leadership layer -- to the focused direction of the company.

The leadership level is like a revolving door. Now, there were some folks that left that was probably a good idea, and others that left - it was a huge loss. I know people move on and find new opportunities, but I feel many were driven out unnecessarily.

The work-life balance is also a struggle as certain people have an expectation that you should be 'on-line' 20 hours a day. Now, it's always a personal choice to be on-line or not - but when you feel like you will be called-out or reprimanded, it makes it hard. It would have been nice to go on vacation, and not have to check my email (and respond) 4-5 times a day.

The last area is lack of focus. The company has gotten better, but it's still needs to work on focusing on a direction and seeing it through. The constant change can get very tiring and results in frustration.

1) Continue doing what you're doing in HR. It's working. The onboarding, the events, the individual attention.
    2) Focus on hiring the right leadership, learn from the past, and work hard to retain the good ones. They are hard to find.
    3) Promote people taking vacations and not having to work. That's why they call it a vacation. It's hard to recharge, when your never able to unplug. You will have a much more productive employee when they return!
    4) Everyone understands that things change. It's normal. But try to keep the constant change to a minimum.

Great Potential, Terrible Execution

Former Employee - Sales in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SugarCRM has a nice product which is getting more attention upmarket than ever before. Sugar employees (Sugas) are a passionate group and are capable of great results. If you thrive in an engineering run business, you will like it here.

Cons

Sales and Marketing Management turnover has been high over the past 4 years. As a result, the company has been in a state of constant change of strategy. (Enterprise focus vs. SME, Direct selling vs. Channel, etc.) The company has been "IPO bound" for years now, however without a solid track record of predictable revenue growth it will be difficult to see the return many in the company are hoping for.

Focus on stabilizing leadership at the top and mid-level (not just e-staff). Recognize the true contributors to the business.

Sweet!

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the culture of the company.
    There is open communication at all levels and no hang-ups or attitude based on job titles.
    The company provides an excellent environment for learning and growing oneself.
    New ideas are welcomed and encouraged.
    The executive management team has tremendous vision and the company is growing at an unprecedented rate.
    I see a great future ahead both career-wise and company-wise at SugarCRM!

Cons

As is common with companies on the grow, there are many areas that need improvement.
    Better/more employees, processes and tools are needed to adjust to the growth as the company turns the corner and moves up.

Make sure the company is capitalizing on the current momentum and not reading its own press clippings.

The time of my life

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great company values, everyone is really open and happy to help you out. The company is full of amazing and lovely people. My manager was fantastic to me and all of HR were happy to help with whatever problem I had.
    - Generous benefits package
    - Many company events for you to get to know people in the company
    - Free snacks, coffee and free lunch every wednesday.
    - Tons of free T-shirts.
    - You can create your own opportunities around the company.
    - Would very much recommend working here, even though I am leaving. I am purchasing all my stock before I leave.
    - Tons of committees to join around the company
    - gym reimbursement.

Cons

The year to year raises were lower than expected (4%). When you negotiate your offer, make sure it is a salary you can be happy with for at least a couple years before you sign, especially if you are an engineer.

Compensate engineers with their current market value.

Was once a great place but fallen into harder times

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lunch provided once a week with a talk of some sort
    Drinks and snacks
    Movie nights
    Yoga
    on site shower
    esop

Cons

work life balance varies greatly from team to team,
    compensation below average,
    no 401k matching,
    no clear paths for career advancement,

Give employees fare wages.
    Get in touch with your employees and help foster their growth along with the companies growth.

SugarCRM Response

Sep 12, 2014Talent Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are proud to be able to offer a highly competitive benefits package that has long been embraced and welcomed by our employees. We encourage ... More

automation engineer

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

amazing experience, really good people and work environment

Cons

cannot think of any at the moment. In short no cons, a good company to work for.

After 10 years, company is becoming a start-up again

Former Employee - Developer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- experience to carry to another career
    - challenging to allow individuals with talent to excel and be noticed
    - possibilities to affect new releases through collaboration
    - great for internal (cupertino) workers, and many company retreats

Cons

- not enough resources to manage customer support requests
    - not enough remaining original staff / talent to carry on original SugarCRM traditions
    - as a open-source offering on the market, not enough feedback from developer community before releasing software

Needs to find balance with previous SugarCRM culture, and new company start-up model. Find a way to utilize previous customers experiences to guide future development in the product, and company as a whole.

Great potential but constant re-organizations and changes in sales processes.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits...fair pay...smart people. There can be a huge growth for Sugar if people stop playing the blame game when things go wrong.

Cons

very limited career opportunity potential