SugarCRM

SugarCRM Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin

Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC(in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing(in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks(in 3 reviews)

The time of my life

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

Pros- Great company values, everyone is really open and happy to help you out. The company is full of amazing and lovely people. My manager was fantastic to me and all of HR were happy to help with whatever problem I had.
    - Generous benefits package
    - Many company events for you to get to know people in the company
    - Free snacks, coffee and free lunch every wednesday.
    - Tons of free T-shirts.
    - You can create your own opportunities around the company.
    - Would very much recommend working here, even though I am leaving. I am purchasing all my stock before I leave.
    - Tons of committees to join around the company
    - gym reimbursement.

ConsThe year to year raises were lower than expected (4%). When you negotiate your offer, make sure it is a salary you can be happy with for at least a couple years before you sign, especially if you are an engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate engineers with their current market value.

automation engineer

Automation Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

Prosamazing experience, really good people and work environment

Conscannot think of any at the moment. In short no cons, a good company to work for.

Approaching the event horizon of failure

ProsThe fountain in the courtyard
    The food trucks during the week
    The free snacks in the kitchens
    CFO (smart guy - focused)
    VP of Support (smart guy - dedicated)
    VP of Sales Ops (smart gal - helpful)
    CPO (seems guy - but very new)
    Many of the employees (nice, hardworking people)

ConsCEO (No focus, no leadership)
    CTO (Been there too long - needs to move on)
    CMO (Aggressive and unapproachable)
    Company focuses on too many things at once, and rarely achieves success on anything
    No accountability in marketing or engineering
    Product always late, and with lots of bugs

Advice to Senior ManagementC-level executive staff need to get on the same page and help departments become successful. Too much chaos is happening and it distracts employees from their work.

Beating people down doesn't help morale, and that's why many people are looking to leave.

Sick of hearing about the IPO, it's not going to happen. Move on.

Too many meetings, let people just work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

After 10 years, company is becoming a start-up again

Developer (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

Pros- experience to carry to another career
    - challenging to allow individuals with talent to excel and be noticed
    - possibilities to affect new releases through collaboration
    - great for internal (cupertino) workers, and many company retreats

Cons- not enough resources to manage customer support requests
    - not enough remaining original staff / talent to carry on original SugarCRM traditions
    - as a open-source offering on the market, not enough feedback from developer community before releasing software

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to find balance with previous SugarCRM culture, and new company start-up model. Find a way to utilize previous customers experiences to guide future development in the product, and company as a whole.

Great potential but constant re-organizations and changes in sales processes.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsGood benefits...fair pay...smart people. There can be a huge growth for Sugar if people stop playing the blame game when things go wrong.

Consvery limited career opportunity potential

Great place to work for an engineer!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're engineer, you'll love working here. Interesting product and challenging problems to solve. Modern technology stack and development practices. My peers are a diverse and talented bunch of engineers who works well as a team. I learn something new everyday. And we're having fun working on software we care about!

The benefits are also quite awesome. The company really puts a lot of thought and effort into taking good care of us. There are free lunches, weekly learning/talks on all sorts of topics (both technical or non-technical), free gifts (nexus tablet, bike, and other goodies), movie screenings, workouts, massages, etc.

I feel good about the future of SugarCRM. We have a passionate founder CTO who's still devoted to the company 10 years after he founded it. The CEO is a credible, prominent leader who's in command of the financials and operations. There's been great news and developments in the past year or two, and the company is in a terrific position for further growth and innovation!

ConsSugarCRM has obviously gone through growing pains and tough stretches in the past. This is likely to occur at any company that's been around for 10 years. Senior management seems to be taking these issues seriously and making real efforts improving things overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, especially when changes are made!

I'm the new CPO. Please reach out to me if you're a current or potential emp w concerns.

ProsGreat people. Great place to innovate. Fantastic market position. I'm working really hard to make sure we're transparent and honest in management.

ConsSome baggage as a ten year old company, but doing (I believe) a great job of leveraging the assets of age to enable a great future.

Advice to Senior ManagementUh I am management. Please find me if you have advice because I honestly want it, good or bad. Especially bad. I want us to be a great place to work and innovate.

The best company I worked in, already more than 5 years here

Staff Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsNice people here I like to work with them. They have great ideas for product Product has potential in the mid market and Enterprise market.

ConsUnder the growing pain from a small company to a big one.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter product shape and management, good road map will help to go public sooner.

Open friendly environment that has the edge of a start up with the stability and benefits of an established company

Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsFlat open management structure, truly agile
    Smart engaged technical people
    Encouraged to use latest methods and technology
    Movie days, weekly technical forums with meals,flexible work environment, good PTO, WFH policy
    Great family medical plans
    Everyone encouraged to take relevant courses

ConsNot sure if IPO will come anytime soon, but that said everything has its time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing

I love this place!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsI've been in high tech for about 26 years, and worked at enough places to know a great company when I see it. I read some negative reviews here, and frankly it concerned me. But after meeting some great people in the interview process, I took a chance on them, just as they took a chance on me. And I'm SO glad we did! I feel lucky to be here! This review is not planted; nobody asked me to write it. I really feel this way. Here are some random thoughts and feelings about SugarCRM:

I have the best boss I've ever had. They treat their employees VERY well. They have by far the best HR department I've ever seen. Their Finance folks want to work with you rather than against you. The people are friendly, talented, dedicated, intelligent, and fun. They didn't beat me up in the interview process. They have a wonderful culture, they care about corporate values, and have a real sense of purpose. They spend money on employees (lunches, company anniversary parties, birthday desserts, well stocked kitchens, movie days, employee wellness, etc), which keeps us onsite more, which suits me just fine. We very much appreciate it! The product is solid, and rapidly improving. The IT infrastructure (my area) is OK, but also rapidly improving. They provide good work/life balance. Employees work hard, but enjoy it.

I admit I haven't been exposed to all areas of the company yet. And I'm sure there's some drama somewhere that I have yet to witness. I've heard about the politics, but haven't seen any of it on a large or even medium scale. From what I can tell, there were people that didn't work well with others that have been transitioned out, and very few still remain.

Overall, highly recommended!

ConsNot a whole lot to say in this area... They are a late-mode startup, and are going through the somewhat painful fun of transitioning from a small company mentality to that of a well-run enterprise. Maybe the only thing I don't like are the open-type cubes, with no privacy whatsoever. Everyone wears headphones to block out the noise! I have to go elsewhere to seek a quiet space from time to time. But weighed against all the positives, it's meaningless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course! We're going the right way. And please retain the existing fun and dynamic culture. I've seen too many great smaller companies lose their charm, fun, and mojo as they grow.

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!