SugarCRM Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.7

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC (in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great potential but constant re-organizations and changes in sales processes.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits...fair pay...smart people. There can be a huge growth for Sugar if people stop playing the blame game when things go wrong.

Cons

very limited career opportunity potential

Sales Poker. Convincing customers to pay the company, and then convincing the company to pay you.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

* High career advancement if you are good, but you've got to ask for it. then ask again. then demand. then show proof of other offer letters.
    * Autonomy for top performing reps. If you do well and earn your superiors trust, you are given a lot of freedom and faith in how you perform your job.
    * Large enough company to have structure, but still small enough to have the excitement of a startup/private company.
    * Open communication across teams and departments means you can quickly find the resources you need to close business quickly. "Everyone is in sales"
    * Leaders are available and open to share advice, insight, guidance and even a coffee once in a while if you ask
    * flexible working environments, from home, off-hours, interesting travel opportunities
    * very relevant and growing industry, if you can sell this product well, you will be able to sell many, many others if ever needed
    * great top talent to benchmark your skills against and challenge yourself to grow as a salesperson
    * ambitious leadership group - never satisfied mentality of CEO and C suite keeps this company pointed up, meaning everyone always must elevate their games (and should want to)

Cons

* Sales Org has changed every year for the past 3.....meaning a trickle down effect on culture, practices and expectations placed upon the team
    * high performing reps often feel compelled to be overly "creative" in how and when they close their deals with the revolving compensation plans and policies implemented each year by leadership
    * Over-abundance of petty disputes and issues with leadership decisions due to increasing bureaucratic guidelines and policies (as expected with a company inching towards IPO) which is equaling a constantly encroaching negative haze around the simple, once common sense rule of "is this the right thing to do?" on many situations and decisions.
    * Promotion must too often be forced with threats of resignation, even for top talent.
    * Being from the sales side of the house, this is an Engineering company first. Where LinkedIN, or Salesforce.com have built out their company cultures from a selling perspective, Sugar is innately engineering centric in how product and marketing decisions are made...
    * disenchantment from high performing reps due to comp plans, bonuses and other spiffs being modified, or eliminated after any good quarter to protect the house coffers

* simplify compensation, bonus and spiff plan - be clear, be clear, be clear. Reps work hard enough convincing new customers to buy that they shouldn't have to worry about justifying a paycheck with leadership when earned.
    * focus on your strengths in both product, and marketing/selling initiatives. Know what you are, and what you are not. While Enterprise is where the big $ is at, perfect the product more the corporate and mid market level first, you are not far off.
    * Open the spigot for sales feedback. Reps on the front lines know more about what the customer wants than the folks in engineering might always think. Listen to them, they know why you win, and more importantly why you lose.
    * Insert any cliche statement about doing whatever is needed to keep top talent. too many good people have walked out of that door on their own accord over the years. It doesn't have to be that way.
    * loosen the collar a little bit, feels like a 2000 person company, not 400. relax, have fun, do great work.
    * sales wise - take more risks on talent, keep an open-mind as to where your next rock band of top reps will come from, from all backgrounds and experience levels.
    * The IPO carrot is starting to look like produce that has sat on the shelves too long.... find new and interesting ways to motivate the team....sure IPO's are cool, money is cool, but people are looking for more meaning in what they do with their lives, give them other things to grab onto and achieve

Great place to work for an engineer!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're engineer, you'll love working here. Interesting product and challenging problems to solve. Modern technology stack and development practices. My peers are a diverse and talented bunch of engineers who works well as a team. I learn something new everyday. And we're having fun working on software we care about!

The benefits are also quite awesome. The company really puts a lot of thought and effort into taking good care of us. There are free lunches, weekly learning/talks on all sorts of topics (both technical or non-technical), free gifts (nexus tablet, bike, and other goodies), movie screenings, workouts, massages, etc.

I feel good about the future of SugarCRM. We have a passionate founder CTO who's still devoted to the company 10 years after he founded it. The CEO is a credible, prominent leader who's in command of the financials and operations. There's been great news and developments in the past year or two, and the company is in a terrific position for further growth and innovation!

Cons

SugarCRM has obviously gone through growing pains and tough stretches in the past. This is likely to occur at any company that's been around for 10 years. Senior management seems to be taking these issues seriously and making real efforts improving things overall.

Be more transparent, especially when changes are made!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm the new CPO. Please reach out to me if you're a current or potential emp w concerns.

I have been working at SugarCRM

Pros

Great people. Great place to innovate. Fantastic market position. I'm working really hard to make sure we're transparent and honest in management.

Cons

Some baggage as a ten year old company, but doing (I believe) a great job of leveraging the assets of age to enable a great future.

Uh I am management. Please find me if you have advice because I honestly want it, good or bad. Especially bad. I want us to be a great place to work and innovate.

The best company I worked in, already more than 5 years here

Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people here I like to work with them. They have great ideas for product Product has potential in the mid market and Enterprise market.

Cons

Under the growing pain from a small company to a big one.

Better product shape and management, good road map will help to go public sooner.

Open friendly environment that has the edge of a start up with the stability and benefits of an established company

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flat open management structure, truly agile
    Smart engaged technical people
    Encouraged to use latest methods and technology
    Movie days, weekly technical forums with meals,flexible work environment, good PTO, WFH policy
    Great family medical plans
    Everyone encouraged to take relevant courses

Cons

Not sure if IPO will come anytime soon, but that said everything has its time

Keep doing what your doing

I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been in high tech for about 26 years, and worked at enough places to know a great company when I see it. I read some negative reviews here, and frankly it concerned me. But after meeting some great people in the interview process, I took a chance on them, just as they took a chance on me. And I'm SO glad we did! I feel lucky to be here! This review is not planted; nobody asked me to write it. I really feel this way. Here are some random thoughts and feelings about SugarCRM:

I have the best boss I've ever had. They treat their employees VERY well. They have by far the best HR department I've ever seen. Their Finance folks want to work with you rather than against you. The people are friendly, talented, dedicated, intelligent, and fun. They didn't beat me up in the interview process. They have a wonderful culture, they care about corporate values, and have a real sense of purpose. They spend money on employees (lunches, company anniversary parties, birthday desserts, well stocked kitchens, movie days, employee wellness, etc), which keeps us onsite more, which suits me just fine. We very much appreciate it! The product is solid, and rapidly improving. The IT infrastructure (my area) is OK, but also rapidly improving. They provide good work/life balance. Employees work hard, but enjoy it.

I admit I haven't been exposed to all areas of the company yet. And I'm sure there's some drama somewhere that I have yet to witness. I've heard about the politics, but haven't seen any of it on a large or even medium scale. From what I can tell, there were people that didn't work well with others that have been transitioned out, and very few still remain.

Overall, highly recommended!

Cons

Not a whole lot to say in this area... They are a late-mode startup, and are going through the somewhat painful fun of transitioning from a small company mentality to that of a well-run enterprise. Maybe the only thing I don't like are the open-type cubes, with no privacy whatsoever. Everyone wears headphones to block out the noise! I have to go elsewhere to seek a quiet space from time to time. But weighed against all the positives, it's meaningless.

Stay the course! We're going the right way. And please retain the existing fun and dynamic culture. I've seen too many great smaller companies lose their charm, fun, and mojo as they grow.

They Just Do A Lot Of Stuff Right

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for more than a year

Pros

The department managers for whom I work seem to put a lot of effort into removing those things that get in the way of doing our jobs. They also are frequently innovating to bring us ways to make our jobs easier so we can concentrate on working with customer instead of working with the system. These make us more effective. Personally, it also helps keep job satisfaction solid and high.

The company seems to appreciate what our department does despite the fact we are technical, not sales. This is a rarity with most companies.

My manager treats me like an adult. He is straight forward yet courteous and kind. I've never seen him get catty. As an older male adult his man-to-man manner in which he conducts business with me is refreshing and much appreciated. I would imagine he is equally appropriate with women employee. I've never seen any evidence to the contrary nor have I ever heard anyone complain about how he treats them.

Our CEO, Larry Augustin, is as much a techie as he is a corporate executive -- another welcome rarity.

Metrics that measure performance are VERY difficult to develop, but speaking for my department, I believe management works hard at making the measurements meaningful and fair. They also make a very good effort to frequently commend those who do well.

SugarCRM is based in California which has more employee-friendly laws than other states in the union. Even remote workers benefit from these rules. Since I work remotely from another state, when I compare work notes with my neighbors I feel like they are oppressed by my state's parochial attitude toward "labor resources units". I, on the other hand, work for SugarCRM, a California company.

Health benefits and PTO are more generous than other companies for which I've worked.

Though SugarCRM does not throw money away on freakishly extravagant luxuries that would make one think, "This is a gravy train that is going to come to a sudden stop when you least expect it", they are still generous with their employees in meaningful ways.

In short, SugarCRM is not perfect. No company is. It does seem, though, they are continually trying to balance creating a good solid product with providing a good place to work. It's a pleasure working here.

Cons

Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing. Even at that, it seems like management is constantly, and for the most part effectively, making changes to adjust to the growth. If there have been any misses in the changes, at least they are trying which is more than one can say for a lot of other companies.

Read my review. Its content reveals many of the things I think are important to a lot of good employees. Obviously, you seem to know these things already. For other companies: take note.

Good at first, then the honeymoon was over.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at SugarCRM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are on the cutting edge of most technology, so you get to learn a lot of new things. The fast-paced environment is good, as long as it is managed well. The medical plan is actually pretty decent, as well as a lot of on-site perks for employees.

Cons

Woefully mis-managed Project Management office. Trying to actually get things done was a nightmare. The developers were left to fend for themselves, but also had to defend their actions against management and project management because they would only get involved in the 11th hour (and everything you did was wrong). Despite being a global company, if you aren't in Cupertino, you are a second class citizen. also, there is no clear path for advancement -- once you are in, you are essentially stuck.

People at HQ received a lot of perks, but remote employees were left holding the bag. Compensation was based on region, not job responsibilities -- something you can't do once you open yourself up to the entire nation. Some of the remote employees were doing much more and higher quality work, but were paid substantially less than their counterparts in HQ.

Sugar has gone through growing pains, but upper management still thinks they have 50 people. There are a lot of inexperienced players in top positions that are not equipped to take Sugar to the next level.

Level compensation across all employees. Take people management classes. Let go of micromanagement -- Sugar is getting to large for you to still be involved with the day to day activities. For everyone's sake, PLEASE get competent project managers. The ones you have should be in Office Space ... seriously, they are terrible.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to work here, because in the interview process I learned that all 8 of the Sugar employees I encountered were enthusiastic, positive, high energy, clear minded, kind people—without exception—and sincere as well. SugarCRM is in a terrific position to move into the future in a spectacularly successful way, and I wanted to be a part of that. I regard SugarCRM as one of the places that is growing and I could establish a career track at. All of these factors were important to me.

What I have learned since is that SugarCRM is managed with goals and success in mind, but with a lot of heart and soul. I feel encouraged to grow and learn and am rewarded and recognized when I do perform well. The benefits package and overall approach to managing employees is generous, well above industry standard. The company clearly prioritizes treating its employees well, not just fairly. Team work, camaraderie is encouraged and the company regularly invests substantial sums to that end. I enjoy the people I work with—a lot! We are united in our endeavors and the enthusiasm towards that is pervasive thru departments and outlying locations. I have not been disappointed in any way since joining the SugarCRM team.

Cons

normal concerns that come with job, versus say vacation :)

I think management does a great job

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!