SugarCRM

Updated August 16, 2014

3.3

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC (in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The best company I worked in, already more than 5 years here

Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Nice people here I like to work with them. They have great ideas for product Product has potential in the mid market and Enterprise market.

Cons

Under the growing pain from a small company to a big one.

Better product shape and management, good road map will help to go public sooner.

Open friendly environment that has the edge of a start up with the stability and benefits of an established company

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Flat open management structure, truly agile
    Smart engaged technical people
    Encouraged to use latest methods and technology
    Movie days, weekly technical forums with meals,flexible work environment, good PTO, WFH policy
    Great family medical plans
    Everyone encouraged to take relevant courses

Cons

Not sure if IPO will come anytime soon, but that said everything has its time

Keep doing what your doing

I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I've been in high tech for about 26 years, and worked at enough places to know a great company when I see it. I read some negative reviews here, and frankly it concerned me. But after meeting some great people in the interview process, I took a chance on them, just as they took a chance on me. And I'm SO glad we did! I feel lucky to be here! This review is not planted; nobody asked me to write it. I really feel this way. Here are some random thoughts and feelings about SugarCRM:

I have the best boss I've ever had. They treat their employees VERY well. They have by far the best HR department I've ever seen. Their Finance folks want to work with you rather than against you. The people are friendly, talented, dedicated, intelligent, and fun. They didn't beat me up in the interview process. They have a wonderful culture, they care about corporate values, and have a real sense of purpose. They spend money on employees (lunches, company anniversary parties, birthday desserts, well stocked kitchens, movie days, employee wellness, etc), which keeps us onsite more, which suits me just fine. We very much appreciate it! The product is solid, and rapidly improving. The IT infrastructure (my area) is OK, but also rapidly improving. They provide good work/life balance. Employees work hard, but enjoy it.

I admit I haven't been exposed to all areas of the company yet. And I'm sure there's some drama somewhere that I have yet to witness. I've heard about the politics, but haven't seen any of it on a large or even medium scale. From what I can tell, there were people that didn't work well with others that have been transitioned out, and very few still remain.

Overall, highly recommended!

Cons

Not a whole lot to say in this area... They are a late-mode startup, and are going through the somewhat painful fun of transitioning from a small company mentality to that of a well-run enterprise. Maybe the only thing I don't like are the open-type cubes, with no privacy whatsoever. Everyone wears headphones to block out the noise! I have to go elsewhere to seek a quiet space from time to time. But weighed against all the positives, it's meaningless.

Stay the course! We're going the right way. And please retain the existing fun and dynamic culture. I've seen too many great smaller companies lose their charm, fun, and mojo as they grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They Just Do A Lot Of Stuff Right

Pros

The department managers for whom I work seem to put a lot of effort into removing those things that get in the way of doing our jobs. They also are frequently innovating to bring us ways to make our jobs easier so we can concentrate on working with customer instead of working with the system. These make us more effective. Personally, it also helps keep job satisfaction solid and high.

The company seems to appreciate what our department does despite the fact we are technical, not sales. This is a rarity with most companies.

My manager treats me like an adult. He is straight forward yet courteous and kind. I've never seen him get catty. As an older male adult his man-to-man manner in which he conducts business with me is refreshing and much appreciated. I would imagine he is equally appropriate with women employee. I've never seen any evidence to the contrary nor have I ever heard anyone complain about how he treats them.

Our CEO, Larry Augustin, is as much a techie as he is a corporate executive -- another welcome rarity.

Metrics that measure performance are VERY difficult to develop, but speaking for my department, I believe management works hard at making the measurements meaningful and fair. They also make a very good effort to frequently commend those who do well.

SugarCRM is based in California which has more employee-friendly laws than other states in the union. Even remote workers benefit from these rules. Since I work remotely from another state, when I compare work notes with my neighbors I feel like they are oppressed by my state's parochial attitude toward "labor resources units". I, on the other hand, work for SugarCRM, a California company.

Health benefits and PTO are more generous than other companies for which I've worked.

Though SugarCRM does not throw money away on freakishly extravagant luxuries that would make one think, "This is a gravy train that is going to come to a sudden stop when you least expect it", they are still generous with their employees in meaningful ways.

In short, SugarCRM is not perfect. No company is. It does seem, though, they are continually trying to balance creating a good solid product with providing a good place to work. It's a pleasure working here.

Cons

Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing. Even at that, it seems like management is constantly, and for the most part effectively, making changes to adjust to the growth. If there have been any misses in the changes, at least they are trying which is more than one can say for a lot of other companies.

Read my review. Its content reveals many of the things I think are important to a lot of good employees. Obviously, you seem to know these things already. For other companies: take note.

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I've been working at Sugar for almost a year, and I feel very grateful to have found a workplace that inspires so much excitement and passion for its employees. Sugar is well-positioned in the market, and has experienced amazing growth year after year. To reward its employees, the CEO creates company-wide goals, and once we reach these, all employees receive a great thank you gift - these gifts have included Nexus 7 tablets, mountain bikes and an upcoming 10 year anniversary party in San Francisco, which all employees worldwide are invited to (plane tickets and hotel stays are also covered by the company). Not only does this show Sugar's generosity, but it shows how much the company cares about its employees, and in return, employees are motivated to perform and have a strong sense of loyalty to the company. Management is very receptive to the voice of the employees and welcomes new ideas. High-performing employees are recognized and rewarded. There is a lot of room for career advancement across the company as well.

Cons

The company is experiencing some growing pains as it matures, but nothing uncommon for a company of its size or position.

Doing great! The passion and excitement that management shows for the future of the company is contagious.

Good at first, then the honeymoon was over.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

They are on the cutting edge of most technology, so you get to learn a lot of new things. The fast-paced environment is good, as long as it is managed well. The medical plan is actually pretty decent, as well as a lot of on-site perks for employees.

Cons

Woefully mis-managed Project Management office. Trying to actually get things done was a nightmare. The developers were left to fend for themselves, but also had to defend their actions against management and project management because they would only get involved in the 11th hour (and everything you did was wrong). Despite being a global company, if you aren't in Cupertino, you are a second class citizen. also, there is no clear path for advancement -- once you are in, you are essentially stuck.

People at HQ received a lot of perks, but remote employees were left holding the bag. Compensation was based on region, not job responsibilities -- something you can't do once you open yourself up to the entire nation. Some of the remote employees were doing much more and higher quality work, but were paid substantially less than their counterparts in HQ.

Sugar has gone through growing pains, but upper management still thinks they have 50 people. There are a lot of inexperienced players in top positions that are not equipped to take Sugar to the next level.

Level compensation across all employees. Take people management classes. Let go of micromanagement -- Sugar is getting to large for you to still be involved with the day to day activities. For everyone's sake, PLEASE get competent project managers. The ones you have should be in Office Space ... seriously, they are terrible.

Awesome experience

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I came to work here, because in the interview process I learned that all 8 of the Sugar employees I encountered were enthusiastic, positive, high energy, clear minded, kind people—without exception—and sincere as well. SugarCRM is in a terrific position to move into the future in a spectacularly successful way, and I wanted to be a part of that. I regard SugarCRM as one of the places that is growing and I could establish a career track at. All of these factors were important to me.

What I have learned since is that SugarCRM is managed with goals and success in mind, but with a lot of heart and soul. I feel encouraged to grow and learn and am rewarded and recognized when I do perform well. The benefits package and overall approach to managing employees is generous, well above industry standard. The company clearly prioritizes treating its employees well, not just fairly. Team work, camaraderie is encouraged and the company regularly invests substantial sums to that end. I enjoy the people I work with—a lot! We are united in our endeavors and the enthusiasm towards that is pervasive thru departments and outlying locations. I have not been disappointed in any way since joining the SugarCRM team.

Cons

normal concerns that come with job, versus say vacation :)

I think management does a great job

Change management every time ....

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

nice solutions despite all problems

Cons

several changes of management in 6 months : you can imagine the mess...

leave the company : you make a mess any time you do something...

Exciting, energetic, passionate and growing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

This company is evolving, learning and growing as it goes along - full of people that are passionate about what they do - think ten year old start up that transitioned into teenage years. Management is open from the CEO down to where all voices count, and all employees are empowered and invested in the future of what SugarCRM is going to become. SugarCRM is investing in it's employees - and that has a lot of value.

Cons

There are growing pains, but nothing out of the ordinary. These are opportunities to morph and grow, and to mature into an enterprise.

Keep the passion coming - it's very addictive.

Classic Startup (even though its 10 years old) Wonderful people, Best Product, finding direction.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Exciting energy level, wonderful people, great product. Awesome learning environment, so much cutting edge technology. CRM marketplace is one of the best places to be in at this time.

Cons

Resource constrained, eats it own young as was quoted to me by a fellow employee. Its still a good old boy network and your not at HQ you have an uphill climb. Criticism is rampant, praise sparse. Useful training non existent (unless its peer to peer). Manuals written for users, but are twice as good as last year and getting better!

Relax, get the public offering done so you can return to normal business flow

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!