SugarCRM

Updated August 16, 2014

3.3

SugarCRM CEO Larry M. Augustin
Larry M. Augustin

Pros
  • Product has potential in the mid market but they will never come close to SFDC (in 3 reviews)

• Some smart great people to work with if you get below the egos of senior mgmt (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing (in 8 reviews)

• many useless layers of management just collecting paychecks (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Poisonous, Extremely Political Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Decent place to work if you're an engineer. The engineering department is a protected bubble that gets a hefty portion of the company budget for team building, lunches, beer, other fun activities.

Cons

The rest of the company gets to watch while engineering gets these perks (and are explicitly not invited to events). Can you imagine how this affects morale?

Outside of engineering, to survive at this company and be paid or appreciated fairly, you have to be adept at navigating politics, very good at managing up, and great at delegating e.g. passing the buck. The people who do this well are usually rewarded--but watch out, if something goes wrong executive management is very quick to appoint a scapegoat. Many people have left this way.

This leaves employees who actually do work with long work hours, little pay, and empty promises of fair compensation or advancement. Doesn't help that there is little direction from managers other than to keep heads down and continue business as usual.

The work environment and culture has negative effects on the company and on each employee. I do not know of anyone who has worked here and believe that their time spent at Sugar is beneficial to their work experience or even self-learning.

Would I recommend this company to anyone? Maybe for grossly unqualified people looking to pad their resumes. Hiring standards here are low.

Executive management has lost the love for the product. There is no real roadmap, only attempts at being bought out or IPO. For the last few years, promises of IPO are dangled as incentives for employees. New releases are presented with smoke and magic mirrors.

Stop hiring bigwigs from large companies, get people who can action. Treat your employees like they're people, not cattle.

Awesome, encouraging, open, engaging

Current Employee - Sales  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The management and culture they have cultivated results in employees feeling more motivated. I have never worked with such an amazing group of talented, happy, encourage, creative people.

Cons

Cupertino is busy! Not their fault!! But there is valet parking!

Keep encouraging!!

EXCITING time to be at Sugar!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I really can't say enough about the energy, people, culture, product and focus of the company. We're going the right direction, doing all the right things, and everyone is working hard as a team to make it happen. This is a fun and exciting time to be at Sugar! I definitely don't agree with the negative comments I see on here, that's not been my experience, not even close.

Cons

Like any high growth company, some growing pains. But these are just opportunities to improve the current processes and systems to scale for the future.

Keep doing what you're doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are a lot of positive things happening and a lot of excitement in the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Lot of growth opportunities in the company

Cons

Still new to processes but getting there

Deceptive and unethical company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

Pros

They're in Cupertino. Comp was good at first until commissions were suddenly changed.

Cons

Dishonest management, constantly changing commissions, poor sales structure.

Be more transparent with your employees. Also be careful in who you hire for management.

SugarCRM is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Company shares the wealth, makes allowances for employees, rewards hard work, gives stock options, free lunches, company is moving in a great direction, CEO is fantastic, HR team are lovely and welcoming, every employee (including management) is approachable.

Cons

A little bit of growing pains, but the staff are getting through it.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Slow but positive progress.

Pros

Loads of opportunity to innovate in the CRM space. There is a strong focus placed on Engineering talent and collaboration. If you are an ambitious self-starter, you'll do very well here. Also, if you are able to focus and follow-through on your plans you'll quickly establish yourself as a key resource.

There's no limits to what you can work on or the problems you can solve. Results and hard evidence are valued more than opinions or chit-chat.

Leadership and high level decisions can be influenced by anyone who is willing to understand the problem and propose alternatives. The executives are very accessible.

Cons

Collaborative environments can be difficult to master. You have to understand a broad range of audiences and their priorities to properly sell your ideas internally. People with less assertive personalities might get trampled on or drowned out.

New employees tend to see so much opportunity for improvement, that they have trouble prioritizing what's most important.

There is a history of Shiny Penny Syndrome, but that has faded quite a bit over the past two years as the company has become more aware of it's own challenges.

Being primarily channel driven, we've struggled to understand our own model for success and don't listen to our partners and customers as much as we could.

Focus, focus, focus. Refine, refine, refine. We're seeing success in a number of areas, let's focus on reproducing that as much as we can.

Sugar has supported my goals of learning and growing into different roles

Current Employee - Manager, Product Marketing  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Product Marketing in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Open | Everyone from our CTO to our CEO and CPO are such humble people! They take the time to come by and talk ,explain and teach and interact with everyone! I have felt very encouraged by each one of them and they are the kind of leaders I want to grow into someday! I adore our CPO and draw my inspiration from her and my manager.
    Flexibility | I have been with Sugar for about 10 months. I started in capacity of Demand Gen and later felt like I needed to be challenged more. All i had to do was drop a line in an IM chat window to our CPO- OMG! She was all over it and took the time (45 minutes) to talk to me about my career goals and what I wanted to do and how I can get there.
    Great Learning Environment | I transitioned into the Products group and work with our VP of Products- she has taken the time to teach me and groom me. I have acquired new skills and everyone on the team (including engineering)has taken the extra effort to be patient with me and teach me as I transitioned.

Our HR department is always open to suggestions- welcoming and works hard to create an inclusive culture. They've always had fun events for all of us to come together and enjoy.

Cons

Commute
    Wish there were more coffee shops- the one attached to the complex is PRICEY!

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Reasonably solid company that has a strong global footprint, decent technology team.

Cons

Can't get out of its own way, shoots itself in the foot on something major every year.

Stick with what works when it's working, don't shove it to the side!

Great Potential - Disastrous Execution

Pros

The company is in a great place as far as the available CRM market. There are some people here who believe in the product and the company and who want to create a successful brand.

Cons

The company is its own worst enemy. A handful of people, at the highest level of the organization, seem to have their own agenda and are not open to any suggestions or ideas that do not fit that agenda. People are in positions of power here who are nowhere near senior enough to hold c-level titles. On the flip side, there are some very intelligent folks that bring great ideas and yet they are shot down again and again, and as a result nothing ever changes as far as forward momentum. Internal systems are atrocious. Backstabbing is the norm.

If you really want to take the company to the next level, take the advice of the folks who are bringing the issues to your attention. How many different people have to raise the flag on the same issue before something is done to fix it? How many good people need to walk out the door?

Worked for SugarCRM? Contribute to the Community!