SugarCRM Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
89 reviews filtered by

Let's play executive musical chairs!

I have been working at SugarCRM

Pros

The product is decent and there are a few good people at the company.

Cons

Marketing and sales executives are cycled out annually (great tradition!) and the company apparently learns nothing from each experience.
    Talent retention is something that the company struggles with and it's quite obvious that the problems reside in the areas of culture and compensation.

Progress in general would be nice to see but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

SugarCRM Response

Sep 12, 2014Talent Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. SugarCRM is in a pivotal, high-growth phase in the company’s evolution, and with this growth, we will continue to see a consistent level of ... More

After 10 years, company is becoming a start-up again

Former Employee - Developer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at SugarCRM part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- experience to carry to another career
    - challenging to allow individuals with talent to excel and be noticed
    - possibilities to affect new releases through collaboration
    - great for internal (cupertino) workers, and many company retreats

Cons

- not enough resources to manage customer support requests
    - not enough remaining original staff / talent to carry on original SugarCRM traditions
    - as a open-source offering on the market, not enough feedback from developer community before releasing software

Needs to find balance with previous SugarCRM culture, and new company start-up model. Find a way to utilize previous customers experiences to guide future development in the product, and company as a whole.

automation engineer

Current Intern - Automation Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Intern - Automation Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

amazing experience, really good people and work environment

Cons

cannot think of any at the moment. In short no cons, a good company to work for.

Great potential but constant re-organizations and changes in sales processes.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits...fair pay...smart people. There can be a huge growth for Sugar if people stop playing the blame game when things go wrong.

Cons

very limited career opportunity potential

I'm the new CPO. Please reach out to me if you're a current or potential emp w concerns.

I have been working at SugarCRM

Pros

Great people. Great place to innovate. Fantastic market position. I'm working really hard to make sure we're transparent and honest in management.

Cons

Some baggage as a ten year old company, but doing (I believe) a great job of leveraging the assets of age to enable a great future.

Uh I am management. Please find me if you have advice because I honestly want it, good or bad. Especially bad. I want us to be a great place to work and innovate.

Great place to work for an engineer!

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're engineer, you'll love working here. Interesting product and challenging problems to solve. Modern technology stack and development practices. My peers are a diverse and talented bunch of engineers who works well as a team. I learn something new everyday. And we're having fun working on software we care about!

The benefits are also quite awesome. The company really puts a lot of thought and effort into taking good care of us. There are free lunches, weekly learning/talks on all sorts of topics (both technical or non-technical), free gifts (nexus tablet, bike, and other goodies), movie screenings, workouts, massages, etc.

I feel good about the future of SugarCRM. We have a passionate founder CTO who's still devoted to the company 10 years after he founded it. The CEO is a credible, prominent leader who's in command of the financials and operations. There's been great news and developments in the past year or two, and the company is in a terrific position for further growth and innovation!

Cons

SugarCRM has obviously gone through growing pains and tough stretches in the past. This is likely to occur at any company that's been around for 10 years. Senior management seems to be taking these issues seriously and making real efforts improving things overall.

Be more transparent, especially when changes are made!

The best company I worked in, already more than 5 years here

Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people here I like to work with them. They have great ideas for product Product has potential in the mid market and Enterprise market.

Cons

Under the growing pain from a small company to a big one.

Better product shape and management, good road map will help to go public sooner.

Open friendly environment that has the edge of a start up with the stability and benefits of an established company

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flat open management structure, truly agile
    Smart engaged technical people
    Encouraged to use latest methods and technology
    Movie days, weekly technical forums with meals,flexible work environment, good PTO, WFH policy
    Great family medical plans
    Everyone encouraged to take relevant courses

Cons

Not sure if IPO will come anytime soon, but that said everything has its time

Keep doing what your doing

Sales Poker. Convincing customers to pay the company, and then convincing the company to pay you.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at SugarCRM full-time

Pros

* High career advancement if you are good, but you've got to ask for it. then ask again. then demand. then show proof of other offer letters.
    * Autonomy for top performing reps. If you do well and earn your superiors trust, you are given a lot of freedom and faith in how you perform your job.
    * Large enough company to have structure, but still small enough to have the excitement of a startup/private company.
    * Open communication across teams and departments means you can quickly find the resources you need to close business quickly. "Everyone is in sales"
    * Leaders are available and open to share advice, insight, guidance and even a coffee once in a while if you ask
    * flexible working environments, from home, off-hours, interesting travel opportunities
    * very relevant and growing industry, if you can sell this product well, you will be able to sell many, many others if ever needed
    * great top talent to benchmark your skills against and challenge yourself to grow as a salesperson
    * ambitious leadership group - never satisfied mentality of CEO and C suite keeps this company pointed up, meaning everyone always must elevate their games (and should want to)

Cons

* Sales Org has changed every year for the past 3.....meaning a trickle down effect on culture, practices and expectations placed upon the team
    * high performing reps often feel compelled to be overly "creative" in how and when they close their deals with the revolving compensation plans and policies implemented each year by leadership
    * Over-abundance of petty disputes and issues with leadership decisions due to increasing bureaucratic guidelines and policies (as expected with a company inching towards IPO) which is equaling a constantly encroaching negative haze around the simple, once common sense rule of "is this the right thing to do?" on many situations and decisions.
    * Promotion must too often be forced with threats of resignation, even for top talent.
    * Being from the sales side of the house, this is an Engineering company first. Where LinkedIN, or Salesforce.com have built out their company cultures from a selling perspective, Sugar is innately engineering centric in how product and marketing decisions are made...
    * disenchantment from high performing reps due to comp plans, bonuses and other spiffs being modified, or eliminated after any good quarter to protect the house coffers

* simplify compensation, bonus and spiff plan - be clear, be clear, be clear. Reps work hard enough convincing new customers to buy that they shouldn't have to worry about justifying a paycheck with leadership when earned.
    * focus on your strengths in both product, and marketing/selling initiatives. Know what you are, and what you are not. While Enterprise is where the big $ is at, perfect the product more the corporate and mid market level first, you are not far off.
    * Open the spigot for sales feedback. Reps on the front lines know more about what the customer wants than the folks in engineering might always think. Listen to them, they know why you win, and more importantly why you lose.
    * Insert any cliche statement about doing whatever is needed to keep top talent. too many good people have walked out of that door on their own accord over the years. It doesn't have to be that way.
    * loosen the collar a little bit, feels like a 2000 person company, not 400. relax, have fun, do great work.
    * sales wise - take more risks on talent, keep an open-mind as to where your next rock band of top reps will come from, from all backgrounds and experience levels.
    * The IPO carrot is starting to look like produce that has sat on the shelves too long.... find new and interesting ways to motivate the team....sure IPO's are cool, money is cool, but people are looking for more meaning in what they do with their lives, give them other things to grab onto and achieve

They Just Do A Lot Of Stuff Right

I have been working at SugarCRM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The department managers for whom I work seem to put a lot of effort into removing those things that get in the way of doing our jobs. They also are frequently innovating to bring us ways to make our jobs easier so we can concentrate on working with customer instead of working with the system. These make us more effective. Personally, it also helps keep job satisfaction solid and high.

The company seems to appreciate what our department does despite the fact we are technical, not sales. This is a rarity with most companies.

My manager treats me like an adult. He is straight forward yet courteous and kind. I've never seen him get catty. As an older male adult his man-to-man manner in which he conducts business with me is refreshing and much appreciated. I would imagine he is equally appropriate with women employee. I've never seen any evidence to the contrary nor have I ever heard anyone complain about how he treats them.

Our CEO, Larry Augustin, is as much a techie as he is a corporate executive -- another welcome rarity.

Metrics that measure performance are VERY difficult to develop, but speaking for my department, I believe management works hard at making the measurements meaningful and fair. They also make a very good effort to frequently commend those who do well.

SugarCRM is based in California which has more employee-friendly laws than other states in the union. Even remote workers benefit from these rules. Since I work remotely from another state, when I compare work notes with my neighbors I feel like they are oppressed by my state's parochial attitude toward "labor resources units". I, on the other hand, work for SugarCRM, a California company.

Health benefits and PTO are more generous than other companies for which I've worked.

Though SugarCRM does not throw money away on freakishly extravagant luxuries that would make one think, "This is a gravy train that is going to come to a sudden stop when you least expect it", they are still generous with their employees in meaningful ways.

In short, SugarCRM is not perfect. No company is. It does seem, though, they are continually trying to balance creating a good solid product with providing a good place to work. It's a pleasure working here.

Cons

Growing pains -- but that is to be expected with a company that is growing. Even at that, it seems like management is constantly, and for the most part effectively, making changes to adjust to the growth. If there have been any misses in the changes, at least they are trying which is more than one can say for a lot of other companies.

Read my review. Its content reveals many of the things I think are important to a lot of good employees. Obviously, you seem to know these things already. For other companies: take note.