Sullair

Add Photos

Henry Brooks

The Workplace at Sullair

Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) Michigan City, IN

ProsSullair offers very fair salaries and top notch benefits. The atmosphere within its walls is one of ethics, pride and promotes a positive attitude throughout its workforce.

ConsBeing under the large umbrella of United Technologies, one never knows when the next change of management, ownership, or policies will take place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to keep the morale at a high level, as that is the key to maintaining a productive, positive workforce. Continue the know-everyone-on-a first-name basis mentality. That speaks volumes to employees.

Typical

Office (Former Employee) Michigan City, IN

ProsClose to where I live

ConsMediocre people making mediocre decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should work with you not against you

Long hours, low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Michigan City, IN

ProsWork in teams with mainly dedicated people.

ConsLack of consistent production materials results in too much standing around and increased work hours.
    Don't go there if you are a person of faith. The language in this plant is worse than the army. Most of the personnel can't put a sentence together without making a foul comment.
    They promote safety and ignore what goes on on the floor.
    Supervision is lacking and fears for their job.
    Rather Gestapo like environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnroll your top level management in some classes to upgrade their personnel skills.
    Attempt to make a more hospitable environment and teach, if possible, the management, shippers, and employees how to be civil. I doubt if they really want that since the number of contract employees is so high.
    They and Kelly Personnel don't really care too much about the contract people.
    In reality, it is a jungle out there. The most unsophisticated place I have ever worked.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Always there" only applies to bottom line

ProsGood retirement benefits and good non-exec people to work with.

ConsVery little to no chance of internal promotion. Employees are viewed as disposable. so much so they longer give exit interviews because they dont want to hear the truth. Executive team works from a mindset of failed automotive culture and fails to understand the true compressor business.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee satisfaction and be open to honest feedback. Your scare tactics of "if you can't do it we will find someone that can" ( actual quote from vp) are sad. You have created a team of people looking for another place to work. You should ask "what do you need to succeed?" You should also evaluate the true cost of your outsourced parts not just the sales margin and total inventory cost reduction. Cheaper is not always better.

Could be a great place

ProsSteady work for someone that works hard.

ConsWorking hard will not get you hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the full time employees that are taking advantage of the company.

A once good place to work gone downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Michigan City, IN

ProsIntegrated into the community; good people to work with; laid back.

ConsIncompetent management; slavish devotion to the bottom line; no concern for employee welfare.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince 2000 the company took a turn for the worst and never looked back. Began with twisting ACE around "the Sullair Way" (which was the wrong way; they figured it was better to do it easy instead of right) and then pushing their workforce to do more and more with less and less. With the layoffs of 2008-2009 they managed to rid themselves of those who they saw as troublesome but whom, in reality, did a lot to keep the company moving forward. My advice: fire the majority of the executive staff and their underlings, stop bragging about how much money is being banked and return to bringing in people who are going to bring about actual change. I hold out little hope this will ever happen, however, since UTC is really doing all the shot calling, and their debased culture is the real villain.

In need of a cultural shift

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours. Good reputation. Global company. Conservative

ConsHorrible compensation plan for ASM's

Worked for Sullair? Contribute to the Community!