Sullivan Higdon & Sink

Great summer intern experience

Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink

Pros

They feed you well, they throw you in head first on projects, never a dull day

Cons

Limited space in parking lot, but street parking is relatively safe

Growing Company With Lots To Offer

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an agency environment that fosters creative, strategic, leadership and personal growth. You will not find a better group of co-workers and clients to tackle challenging and meaningful projects. The talent and leadership here is first class with motives that are always pure of heart. I've had over 8 years of experience in advertising, including work that has lead me to major agencies in NYC. The work is always the same. It's the people, the thinking and the passion behind the work that make it great. This is why I've always come back to SHS.

Cons

The topic of work/life balance always comes up in any agency environment. This doesn't change regardless of what agency you jump to. It's the nature of the industry.

Great culture, but an agency living on their laurels.

Former Employee - Copywriter in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Wichita, KS

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast, fun culture. Free to be who you are.

Cons

Not a lot of career guidance.

Break barriers, find some exciting new clients.

Agency Life at It's Finest

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

It's easy to cheer for these people and this company. The SHS spirit is infectious. Creativity with passion, inclusive environment, fun and quality culture. These people take good care of each other - I've seen a couple of people have serious illnesses and it was heartening to see (and be a part of) videos, cards, personal gestures, food deliveries... to lift their spirits and to let them know they are being thought of everyday. All of this goes on while work is being won, sometimes not won, while work is stressful, while deadlines are looming - the great attitudes never stop no matter what.

The good days are great, the fun days are hilarious. I'm proud of these people. I'm proud of their accomplishments here at work and outside of work. I'm proud of who they are.

Integrity. Passion. SHS.

Cons

I wish the bathrooms were fancier and the fireplace was crackling more.

A growing agency with its head and heart in the right places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

Great culture, no gossiping, no Us-vs-Them. Beer:30 on Friday is something to really look forward to. Management gets out of your way and lets you do a great job, no micro management. There's a real focus on longevity, low turnover.

Cons

It is an ad agency, so there's the normal agency woes. Slow periods followed by short stretches of insanity and back again. But unlike some other agencies, they don't strategically under-staff, thank goodness. The sheephater brand is great, but the clients aren't sheephaters.

New business is great n all, but try to make the next few clients people who will let us live the Sheephater mentality.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The culture is unlike any other - a truly passionate group dedicated to being smart, innovative and creative
    - Exceptional co-workers who are dedicated to fostering creativity and growth
    - Dedicated to both individual and organizational growth
    - The "Work hard, play hard" motto is definitely relevant - lots of hard work to be done, but plenty of workplace fun to balance it out
    - Amazing team environment full of collaboration and support, with team members who are dedicated to preserving the quality of each project
    - Employees and teams feel empowered to be true partners with clients

Cons

- Some clients are not willing to hold themselves to the unsheeplike standards that SHS represents.
    - Sometimes you will have to put in way more than 40 hours/week and sometimes there will be weeks and/or months of this

Not a con, but a challenge:
    New employees do have to prove themselves and earn a place within the culture, but if you are willing to put in the time and effort you will be warmly welcomed into the company and quickly realize that this group of people and this company are unlike any other.

Continue to find ways to recognize and reward talent and hard work. Sometimes it's easy to overlook those who go "above and beyond" when so many people do and it is such a part of the culture, but it is important to make sure each exceptional employee feels appreciated.

I have never felt less welcome in an organization.

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with smart people who know their craft and have a passion for the business.

Cons

If you are not "SHS Material", you will never become an "SHS'r" and will never become part of the company or feel welcome at work.

Kill the clicks.

Great culture and clients

Former Intern - Brand Manager Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Intern - Brand Manager Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Great local and national clients
     - Awesome company culture (beer Fridays, tickets to Arrowhead events, birthday celebrations, etc)
     - Friendly, helpful people
     - Management is approachable and open

Cons

- Hourly pay on the low end for interns
     - Not much structure for the internship program
     - Always seemed to be someone using the stall when I needed to go to the bathroom

Keep hiring passionate people and making sure they stay. Pursue new business and diversify enough to not rely solely on the Sonic account.

Sheep claiming to not be sheep

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink

Pros

Some nice people. Lots of catered lunches and employee getaways. You could do much worse for a job in this area of the country.

Cons

SHS needs to learn the Western phrase "All hat, no cattle." This is a very average agency that continually claims to be change agents with their slogan "We Hate Sheep." They should follow their own advice. Look at the work on their website. Besides some really nice stuff for one or two clients, everything is above average at best. And you can imagine how weak the stuff is that doesn't make it on the website. Inside the agency, ideas were dumbed-down for no reason. Disorganized and irresponsible staff. Little-to-no communication. Lies and dishonesty.

Follow your own advice. Simply claiming to be a standout agency, does not make you a standout agency. Follow through on your commitments to your employees. We are not mind readers- if you want us to do something differently, tell us. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Good people, but not sure what the real goal is.

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink

Pros

Good individuals who are fun to be around.

Cons

Secretive nature. Most aren't trusted with but the most mundane things to think about.

Look for the employees who are doing the best work, not for the employees who are telling you they are doing the best work.