Sullivan Higdon & Sink Reviews

Tom Bertels

1. The place to be in KC advertising

Current Employee - Associate Creative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Creative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's simple: if you live in KC and want to work in advertising, SHS is the place to be. No other company can match their mix of good clients, good people and mid-size family feel. I fell in love with the place as an intern before coming on full-time. It was the best decision I could have made for my career.

Cons

You might have to park down the street.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Assoc. creative

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

I become part of a family when I started as an intern at SHS. Ive made some of my best friends & work relationships there & am very thankful for the time I worked there. I Have so appreciated the creative direction I've received it's helped me propel myself into greatness. Free pop/tea/beverages Limited free Beer

Cons

One of the worse paying agencies in the city. OT is great, until you Wnt to move up in the company & have. Hard time getting a salary close to what you had made after OT. No one should ever rely on OT, but you should also be given the chance to have an equal pay raise when needed.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes out for that true talent & don't give up. You've always tried to do it, but just make an effort to keep thats mall agency feel that SHS once possessed.

Great People. Great Culture. Frustrating Management.

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful work-life balance and is supportive of working parents; they are okay with employees working from home when personal things arise (most everyone is given a laptop to work from) - There are truly wonderful people in the agency, especially at the bottom - Casual, collaborative environment where egos are checked at the door - The agency is closed the week between Christmas and New Year's Day - Positive atmosphere if you're on the right team - Work hard, play hard mentality - Fun cultural activities (agency bbq's in the parking lot, office olympics, beer thirty, agency parties, etc.) - Free soda! - For the most part, everyone gets along really well which makes coming into the office each day an enjoyable act...not just something you have to do for a paycheck - This agency is a wonderful stepping stone and a great place for entry-level employees - Nice office space in Kansas City - open floor plan, no doors (except for conference rooms) and expanding to a third floor to allow for more meeting spaces (which is needed!)

Cons

- Management could do a better job recognizing team achievements and adequately rewarding/compensating those individuals who go the extra mile - Management often sugar coats things and doesn't give a realistic picture of the state of the agency to its employees; overall, honest communication from them could be improved - Since there is no title hierarchy, the agency lacks a clear career path and professional advancement for employees - While senior management tries to show an equal balance to all its employees, there are some obvious favorites that receive special treatment - The benefits aren't competitive and costly to employees in regards to what is taken out of each paycheck; maternity leave needs to be improved - Management can be really disconnected on the day-to-day business of their clients - Clients are on the roster simply because they bring in revenue (not necessarily because they are unsheeplike), which results in a lot of project work which can be frustrating since it's so unreliable - Not a lot of continuity in between offices - Parking. Or rather, lack thereof. If you don't have a parking pass or a reserved spot in the lot that's a mile away, you have to park on the street and risk getting ticketed throughout the day.

Advice to Management

Take some time and truly appreciate the people that make up the agency. There are some dissatisfied employees who are being looked over for internal opportunities and I fear you're going to lose some incredible talent as a result which is really unfortunate considering there are underperforming employees who are flying under the radar.

Brand Manager

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

Some truly cool people working here if you fall into the right crowd. The free soda and weekly happy hour is a nice touch. Overall the culture is great.

Cons

Too many project-based clients and the vast majority of the work is coming from two major clients (enough to employ most of the agency and keep senior management nice and cushy). You lose any business from either of these clients and staffing risks being cut in half...this is a serious problem for the stability of the company. Senior mgmt also tends to play favorites and pushes employees to drink the "we are unsheeplike" kool-aid, which is sheepish behavior in the first place. Overall the leadership team is pretty passive aggressive. No defined structure/hierarchy for where you progress to career-wise.

Advice to Management

Make better choices for your employees and stop playing favorites. Treat the junior level employees well and actually inspire them. Be an advocate for your internal team and stop allowing your clients to make management decisions. You need to have a backbone.

Great summer intern experience

Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink

Pros

They feed you well, they throw you in head first on projects, never a dull day

Cons

Limited space in parking lot, but street parking is relatively safe

Management lacks vision. Don't expect to advance your career at SHS.

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Causal work attire and free soda.

Cons

SHS claims to hate sheep but I've never worked at a place so against out-of-the-box thinking. Un-sheep-like ideas become stuck in the management bottleneck are are rarely presented to the client. Salaries are low and very few people actually receive bonuses. I had heard about the cliques prior to joining SHS and definitely saw those in action while I was there. Top-level management pushes down 'old school' work style to the rest of the company; SHS is not innovative or cutting edge. Don't be fooled by the laptop you are given; expect to physically be in the office every day. As long as money continues to roll in from the clients, SHS will not address employee concerns or make necessary personnel changes.

Advice to Management

Turnover will continue to increase as competent employees are passed over for promotions. Quit micromanaging employees and allow them to truly display un-sheep-like behavior.

8. Growing Company With Lots To Offer

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an agency environment that fosters creative, strategic, leadership and personal growth. You will not find a better group of co-workers and clients to tackle challenging and meaningful projects. The talent and leadership here is first class with motives that are always pure of heart. I've had over 8 years of experience in advertising, including work that has lead me to major agencies in NYC. The work is always the same. It's the people, the thinking and the passion behind the work that make it great. This is why I've always come back to SHS.

Cons

The topic of work/life balance always comes up in any agency environment. This doesn't change regardless of what agency you jump to. It's the nature of the industry.

Great culture, but an agency living on their laurels.

Former Employee - Copywriter in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Wichita, KS

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast, fun culture. Free to be who you are.

Cons

Not a lot of career guidance.

Advice to Management

Break barriers, find some exciting new clients.

10. Agency Life at It's Finest

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

It's easy to cheer for these people and this company. The SHS spirit is infectious. Creativity with passion, inclusive environment, fun and quality culture. These people take good care of each other - I've seen a couple of people have serious illnesses and it was heartening to see (and be a part of) videos, cards, personal gestures, food deliveries... to lift their spirits and to let them know they are being thought of everyday. All of this goes on while work is being won, sometimes not won, while work is stressful, while deadlines are looming - the great attitudes never stop no matter what. The good days are great, the fun days are hilarious. I'm proud of these people. I'm proud of their accomplishments here at work and outside of work. I'm proud of who they are. Integrity. Passion. SHS.

Cons

I wish the bathrooms were fancier and the fireplace was crackling more.

11. A growing agency with its head and heart in the right places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sullivan Higdon & Sink full-time

Pros

Great culture, no gossiping, no Us-vs-Them. Beer:30 on Friday is something to really look forward to. Management gets out of your way and lets you do a great job, no micro management. There's a real focus on longevity, low turnover.

Cons

It is an ad agency, so there's the normal agency woes. Slow periods followed by short stretches of insanity and back again. But unlike some other agencies, they don't strategically under-staff, thank goodness. The sheephater brand is great, but the clients aren't sheephaters.

Advice to Management

New business is great n all, but try to make the next few clients people who will let us live the Sheephater mentality.

RSS Feed </> Embed