Sullivan University

Glen Sullivan

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Registrar Office

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Benefits. It's a pleasure assisting the students in achieving their goals

ConsToo many people doing their own thing without advice from owner. A lot of confusion within the departments as well as advice that is relayed to the students. No on is on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen having academic council meetings involve Chancellor Sullivan so he can see what crazy practices that are being enforced. Company was great 6 years ago.

Sullivan's Demise

NCHS AO (Former Employee)

I worked at Sullivan University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the folks at Sullivan are good people. The management system in place ruins this though because they do not care about the student anymore in the corporate office and the few folks that care are treated like garbage, pretty sad really.

ConsThere were many good people over the years that gave tremendously not to mention the sacrifices made only to watch over the past decade the most management decision debacle in the history of Sullivan University.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the reviews on this website and realize there are many that point to the same individual and get back to the values that once made Sullivan a good institution.

Surreal: The ability to ignore reality and pretend daily that there are consistent successful outcomes is quite amazing

Senior Associate Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs long as you receive a nod from 'elite group of senior leadership' your inability to perform means nothing. Moreover, you are 'safe' and will not be held accountable for continued failure.

ConsThe biggest 'con' is the trickle down effect of poor leadership to the most important part of the organization: the students (consumers). Morally, ethically, and legally there are grave injustices that occur daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must acknowledge the dysfunctional culture and hold yourselves accountable first and foremost in order to correct it. You are responsible for the destruction not only of a legacy, but also of hundreds and thousands of students futures.

Sullivan University: Where morale can't get any Lowe-r

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sullivan University full-time for more than a year

ProsTuition Benefits, the Sullivan Bakery is nice.

ConsPoor leadership, Human Resources is non-exsistant, micro-managing, departments at war with each other, student's treated like customers at a fast food restaurant, Employees reminded that they are expendable, favoritism, discrimination, Lack of moral compass of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have employees that care and believe in the Sullivan system, do not trample on them every single day. Do not put "what's best for business" above the fair and ethical treatment of your employees. Above all, when an employee has been physically, verbally, or emotionally abused, do not allow your Human Resources department to say that they can't and won't help because the behavior is "not illegal."

Recognize the individuals who log more activities and stay later than every other team member and receive half of the compensation of those who arrive late, play on the computer all day, or worse, clock in and then head out to Bed Bath and Beyond for a several hour long shopping spree. And to those employees that do milk the clock and slack off, don't turn a BLIND EYE until they have done so much damage that you have to create new positions and procedures just so students don't have to interact with them.

If you make a promise to an employee, especially if they have labored to keep their end of the bargain, you MUST follow through. You cannot just decide one day that the deal is not convenient and just retract it. You have decent human beings who work for you, however, the percentage is getting lower and lower each month. I was crushed by the Sullivan system, a system I once believed in and now have a constant CRICK in my neck and a chip on my shoulder. I wish more than anything, that Glassdoor had a negative star option.

Lack of institutional control...

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Easy commute. Centrally located. Entrance is right next to 264.
- Relaxed work environment.
- Full-time employees can receive an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree essentially free of charge.
- Recently became SACS accredited.
- The area surrounding campus is great for light exercise.
- Internet isn't restricted so you can apply for other jobs during breaks from work.
- Staff discount at book store and bakery, which is useful because goods there tend to be very overpriced. (However, according to a recent memo from the CEO you can't even get free water from the Cafe's soda fountain even if you have your own cup without putting yourself at risk of write-up or termination.)

Cons- High turnover in every department. In the past two months, Sullivan has lost two department directors, two associate directors, and numerous subordinates. Corporate isn't replacing many of the vacancies, which sets the stage for more burnout among the few remaining good workers.
- Draconian compensation plans. High-handed HR policy. Many former and current staff have legitimate back pay issues.
- Uncertain future. Enrollment is down system-wide, hence the multiple January 2013 layoffs. Also the system is constantly at odds with local, state, and federal levels of government, so it attracts political pressure to add to the already existing economic strain.
- Sloppy management. Performance reviews aren't conducted regularly. Policies often change from week to week. Schedules aren't usually reliable. Employees arrive late, leave early, and take long lunches on the clock without consequence.
- Blatant favoritism. One group is told a lie to justify an injustice, then management contradicts itself to justify preferential treatment of another group months later.
- Almost as many bosses as there are subordinates. (How can you truly be a "director" when you only "direct" 1-3 people at any given time? Who's the boss?)
- Health insurance premiums are too high relative to the plans' benefits. Most healthy, single people are better off with individual insurance.
- HR serves the corporate interest exclusively. That arm of the university is not impartial. The defensive attitude that it defaults to is unfair to employees.
- No child care even though Sullivan trains child care providers.
- You will be exposed to toxic chemicals in poorly ventilated work areas for entire work days many times a year because Corporate chooses not to do work of this nature on Sundays when campus is empty. This is especially a problem if you are pregnant or nursing as many of our staff have been.

Advice to Senior Management- Have integrity. Figure out what you want to be by 2030 and stick to the plan. Sullivan finds itself going in circles so much because it usually cuts corners.
- Realize that a fish rots from the head. A certain individual is the common thread in most of the campus' problem areas. Positions beneath this person have changed but the problems persist. This person is an obvious cancer. Remove the cancer.
- Stop placating entitled non-workers by dumping work on the few who do work. Your better workers are leaving because of it. Stop trying to get more out of the wagon pullers and start trying to get the wagon riders to start wagon pulling.
- Stop investing in unnecessary capital projects at the expense of necessary human capital.
- Get rid of the slow virtual desktop system. Invest in better technology. Go digital. Reduce paper consumption.
- Focus less on keeping up surface-level appearances in the short-term and focus more on attracting better students and staff over the long run. Bellarmine has been around as long as Sullivan and while its hallways aren't painted 4 times a year it is on a more positive trajectory.
- Ensure compliance with the Department of Labor and Department of Education a priority before it's too late.
- Think twice before you lay people off again. It's hard for those who remained to take your two week notice expectations seriously when you gave their teammates zero day notice.
- Identify talent. Pay them well. Treat them well. You are going to need them badly when the long-time Sullivan employees retire soon -- and they will.

For Profit Admissions At Its Finest

Lexington, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time for less than a year

ProsEducation benefit, great team members, growth opportunities.

ConsTerrible hours, management is awful, corporate run, no care for students, all a numbers game, only care about profit, poor campus level leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. I have never worked for a Director who would pit his team against each other in such a way. He wanted no comradarie, just straight competition in a call center like atmosphere. Very unapproachable and old fashioned. I took a pay cut just to get out of the hostile environment. He wanted the admissions department run like a foreign call center. NO care for the best interest of the student. NO care for his employees or their lives outside of the office. Incredibly negative. No coaching or feedback unless it was an email that said, "why aren't you making dials?". Not how admissions at a college should be run. Such a joke. Nothing will change at the Lexington campus until something is done about their leadership.

Never work here, Never go to school here, Never send your children here

Admissions Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree education while employeed for self, children, and spouse.

ConsFavoritism, long hours, unethical, greedy, last minute notice of weekend hours, unorganized, lack of accountability, terrible reviews, no follow up, students allowed to start class up to two weeks late when they have no proven ability to successfully complete these classes, set up to fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and stop listening to each other. Ask the people actually doing the job what the problem is and stop asking Directors, ADOA's, etc. Management fights are obvious, there is no way to share unethical behavior with management.

Things are going from bad to worse

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time for less than a year

Pros-Decent starting salary (if you don't consider the absolutely insane "half-time" overtime [fun fact: literally the more hours you work, the less you make], or the fact that you are pretty underpaid for the amount of stress you encounter daily)

-My co-workers were the best part of the job -- everyone in my admissions department was fantastic, but unfortunately that can't be said for the entire campus or system.

ConsI worked in admissions at the Spencerian campus in Lexington. Cons? Not sure even where to begin with that one.

For starters, I was lied to in my interview about everything from job duties to turnover rates (found out two days into the job that most people last there under six months, after being told in the interview that there was very little job turnover, and if so, it was because people were promoted - LOL nope).

I was also told that, although there was -some- recruitment involved, that most of my job would involve meeting with prospective students who'd applied into the school, to advise them on what programs would be a good fit for them. Again, LOL nope. On the first day of "training" (in quotations because it was 2 or 3 days of half-assed tutorials about stuff that barely related to the job) we were informed that we would be expected to make 100+ outbound calls per day, and that many times these calls were almost like cold-calling (inquiries were bought from a company who used less than reputable means to get them - many people thought they were applying for a job, not giving us their info).

We were constantly pressured to get more applications, regardless of whether it was in the best interest of the student. Well, I take that back - they would "say" that we should only offer applications to "qualified applicants" who were a good fit, then if we became picky with who we chose, we were berated for not getting more of our interviews to apply. There were constant threats of losing our jobs if we did not get more applications.

I felt very uncomfortable admitting people to college who were barely qualified to do it (even though the school itself is a joke - but that's another story), especially because the programs were so outrageously expensive ($50,000 for an associates degree?!) and the salary outlooks for those programs often maxed out at $13/hr.

I believe the Sullivan University System preys on the low-income and disadvantaged, taking their money and happily putting them into massive debt they will never get out of, without any concerns for the long-term futures of these students.

I ultimately quit because I refuse to compromise my integrity, and the more I learned about my job and about the SUS, the more I realized that was what I was expected to do every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your student base and target market (low-income people) and stop ripping them off. Focus more on delivering a better, more valuable experience to your students, and less on petty policies, outrageous financial demands, and quantity over quality.

The reason the student population has decreased tenfold over the past 5 years? It has nothing to do with the admissions department, and everything to do with the fact that people are realizing what an absolute scam this place is.

A for-profit family business, lacking student entrance selectivity, where no paying customer fails

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
Louisville, KY

I worked at Sullivan University as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFor a student who has made poor choices throughout high school, this can be a second chance.
The courses are accredited.

ConsNot the best place to be, for anyone with high integrity and any residual moral faith in academia.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut ethics and moral virtue on the radar of your organizational values and culture.

VERY toxic environment - STAY AWAY!

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers, eating the food from the Culinary department...that's really about all.

ConsManagement, Hours, Pay, Benefits, other departments employees, negative environment. Things will be good for the first 6 months and then you'll realize how badly you messed up accepting that job.

Advice to Senior Management- Invest time/money into your current employees and make them proud/happy to work at Sullivan, not dread work everyday and all of the gossiping that their boss is doing about them.
- Monitor hours that employees are working compared to management
- Pay your employees fairly, they work too much for too little (ever heard of 1/2 time pay, anyone?)
- Hire qualified, personable employees and your company has potential to excel, hiring people who require a year of training before they are suitable for the job sets everyone up for failure

Worked for Sullivan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sullivan University reviews and ratings in Kentucky — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sullivan University CEO Glen Sullivan. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Sullivan University employees.