Sullivan University

Glen Sullivan

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsSullivan University is a great place to work. I work with some amazing people whose mission matches mine -- we're helping people change lives for the better. Overall benefits are great, senior leadership listens and is open to new ideas. The company is determined and willing to invest in employee development. I am very excited about the future of this company!

ConsAs many companies out there, Sullivan University had many changes in leadership but all good. It will take some time to reboot the system and to clean up the "negative" mindset caused by former employees who did not care about the company and who are luckily no longer work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making the changes, keep growing and challenging the marketplace out there. Excited to be a part of this company's future.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Admissions Officer (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFree tuition for a worthless degree

ConsTerrible work-life balance, favoritism is very evident, atmosphere is that of a high school in which if you are not one of the chosen few then you will have a difficult time being successful. Goals are made up without any real evidence behind them. The company has no ethical bone in its structure. Students take on large amounts of debt for degrees that they will never be able to finish. Morally speaking this company only cares about profit and not about education.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople attend a University with the goal of making a better life. Sullivan takes the future of the students that attend and crush any possibility of financial freedom. Most students who attend have to max out all of their eligible aid for an associates degree and may be able to squeeze a bachelor's degree out if they are lucky. Then, once these students get to the end of the program the classes they need aren't offered and they delay the graduation process. Admissions will let anyone in who can pass the test regardless of whether it is a wise decision.

The admissions officers are told that they can deny anyone enrollment if they do not meet criteria however if they do this management will question every move made and push the admissions officer to enroll the student even if it is not in their best interest.

Financial planning coordinators are bullied by admissions management if they advise students on their debt too far past planning out the first year of school. They do not want financial planning coordinators advising students that they will likely run out of aid eligibility past the first year. Students that live in housing have even more debt and will be asked to leave after the first 9 months because they will not have enough aid to cover room and board any further. The school wants them to start but does little to guarantee success.

Enrollment services can't schedule students correctly because of poor policies by the company and classes cancelled the week before school starts.

Scholarships are offered to students not based on eligibility but more as a discount to be able to get in and start with requirements that can't be met so the student typically owes a balance.

The corporate office says they care but they don't. Goals are not realistic. The school should stop spending money on painting the walls every quarter, installing new carpet, and repaving the parking lot every year and instead give the employees a raise that is equal to the increase in standard of living and give the students a cheaper tuition rate. The product they receive is not that great after all. I received my master's degree as a benefit from Sullivan and the accounting class I took was easier then my Accounting 101 course that I took at the University of Louisville.

Also, the insurance package is very pricy and not family friendly. No paid maternity leave so women who have to take off must use any vacation or sick time and then have to pay for insurance since their is no paycheck to deduct it from. Sullivan also battled employees in a lawsuit and lost because they did not pay employees according to the Federal regulations that have been set.

I had an awesome experience

Marking Tepresentative (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsRated as one of best companies to work for in Kentucky by employers

ConsPrivately owned, big turnover on entry level

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater opportunity for advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On the up tick

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsSullivan has definitely made some changes in the past year that make working here a pleasure. Anyone who wants to work can find a happy home here. Anyone that wants to be paid to slack off may not be as happy. Overtime policies have changed to be 1.5x pay for overtime. Benefits are good. Opportunities for advancement are presented to those who demonstrate an ability to do their job well. Lots of training is provided and the culture provides a lot of little perks and a lot of fun to break up the day.

ConsSome people may have a hard time accepting that they can't just show up 9-5 every day and never have to work late, work overtime, or work a weekend activity. These people probably don't belong in a work environment that requires more than the bare minimum. It can be frustrating to deal with potential students who are flakey, but that comes with the territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making positive changes and continue offering activities that involve the staff and make this a fun, exciting place to work. I haven't been here long, but I can tell this isn't the same place it was a year or so ago.

Great opportunity to teach and share.

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsWell equipped classrooms.
    Helpful faculty and staff.
    Enjoyed teaching students from all walks of life for 3 years.

ConsOnline classes appeared .to be reserved for instructors located at Louisville campus only. Minor consideration given to non-Louisville based faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide equal opportunity to non - Louisville based faculty to participate with online distance learning.

Sullivan's Demise

NCHS AO (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsSome of the folks at Sullivan are good people. The management system in place ruins this though because they do not care about the student anymore in the corporate office and the few folks that care are treated like garbage, pretty sad really.

ConsThere were many good people over the years that gave tremendously not to mention the sacrifices made only to watch over the past decade the most management decision debacle in the history of Sullivan University.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the reviews on this website and realize there are many that point to the same individual and get back to the values that once made Sullivan a good institution.

Surreal: The ability to ignore reality and pretend daily that there are consistent successful outcomes is quite amazing

Senior Associate Director (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsAs long as you receive a nod from 'elite group of senior leadership' your inability to perform means nothing. Moreover, you are 'safe' and will not be held accountable for continued failure.

ConsThe biggest 'con' is the trickle down effect of poor leadership to the most important part of the organization: the students (consumers). Morally, ethically, and legally there are grave injustices that occur daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must acknowledge the dysfunctional culture and hold yourselves accountable first and foremost in order to correct it. You are responsible for the destruction not only of a legacy, but also of hundreds and thousands of students futures.

Registrar Office

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGreat Benefits. It's a pleasure assisting the students in achieving their goals

ConsToo many people doing their own thing without advice from owner. A lot of confusion within the departments as well as advice that is relayed to the students. No on is on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen having academic council meetings involve Chancellor Sullivan so he can see what crazy practices that are being enforced. Company was great 6 years ago.

Sullivan University: Where morale can't get any Lowe-r

(Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsTuition Benefits, the Sullivan Bakery is nice.

ConsPoor leadership, Human Resources is non-exsistant, micro-managing, departments at war with each other, student's treated like customers at a fast food restaurant, Employees reminded that they are expendable, favoritism, discrimination, Lack of moral compass of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have employees that care and believe in the Sullivan system, do not trample on them every single day. Do not put "what's best for business" above the fair and ethical treatment of your employees. Above all, when an employee has been physically, verbally, or emotionally abused, do not allow your Human Resources department to say that they can't and won't help because the behavior is "not illegal."

Recognize the individuals who log more activities and stay later than every other team member and receive half of the compensation of those who arrive late, play on the computer all day, or worse, clock in and then head out to Bed Bath and Beyond for a several hour long shopping spree. And to those employees that do milk the clock and slack off, don't turn a BLIND EYE until they have done so much damage that you have to create new positions and procedures just so students don't have to interact with them.

If you make a promise to an employee, especially if they have labored to keep their end of the bargain, you MUST follow through. You cannot just decide one day that the deal is not convenient and just retract it. You have decent human beings who work for you, however, the percentage is getting lower and lower each month. I was crushed by the Sullivan system, a system I once believed in and now have a constant CRICK in my neck and a chip on my shoulder. I wish more than anything, that Glassdoor had a negative star option.

Lack of institutional control...

(Current Employee) Louisville, KY

Pros- Easy commute. Centrally located. Entrance is right next to 264.
    - Relaxed work environment.
    - Full-time employees can receive an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree essentially free of charge.
    - Recently became SACS accredited.
    - The area surrounding campus is great for light exercise.
    - Internet isn't restricted so you can apply for other jobs during breaks from work.
    - Staff discount at book store and bakery, which is useful because goods there tend to be very overpriced. (However, according to a recent memo from the CEO you can't even get free water from the Cafe's soda fountain even if you have your own cup without putting yourself at risk of write-up or termination.)

Cons- High turnover in every department. In the past two months, Sullivan has lost two department directors, two associate directors, and numerous subordinates. Corporate isn't replacing many of the vacancies, which sets the stage for more burnout among the few remaining good workers.
    - Draconian compensation plans. High-handed HR policy. Many former and current staff have legitimate back pay issues.
    - Uncertain future. Enrollment is down system-wide, hence the multiple January 2013 layoffs. Also the system is constantly at odds with local, state, and federal levels of government, so it attracts political pressure to add to the already existing economic strain.
    - Sloppy management. Performance reviews aren't conducted regularly. Policies often change from week to week. Schedules aren't usually reliable. Employees arrive late, leave early, and take long lunches on the clock without consequence.
    - Blatant favoritism. One group is told a lie to justify an injustice, then management contradicts itself to justify preferential treatment of another group months later.
    - Almost as many bosses as there are subordinates. (How can you truly be a "director" when you only "direct" 1-3 people at any given time? Who's the boss?)
    - Health insurance premiums are too high relative to the plans' benefits. Most healthy, single people are better off with individual insurance.
    - HR serves the corporate interest exclusively. That arm of the university is not impartial. The defensive attitude that it defaults to is unfair to employees.
    - No child care even though Sullivan trains child care providers.
    - You will be exposed to toxic chemicals in poorly ventilated work areas for entire work days many times a year because Corporate chooses not to do work of this nature on Sundays when campus is empty. This is especially a problem if you are pregnant or nursing as many of our staff have been.

Advice to Senior Management- Have integrity. Figure out what you want to be by 2030 and stick to the plan. Sullivan finds itself going in circles so much because it usually cuts corners.
    - Realize that a fish rots from the head. A certain individual is the common thread in most of the campus' problem areas. Positions beneath this person have changed but the problems persist. This person is an obvious cancer. Remove the cancer.
    - Stop placating entitled non-workers by dumping work on the few who do work. Your better workers are leaving because of it. Stop trying to get more out of the wagon pullers and start trying to get the wagon riders to start wagon pulling.
    - Stop investing in unnecessary capital projects at the expense of necessary human capital.
    - Get rid of the slow virtual desktop system. Invest in better technology. Go digital. Reduce paper consumption.
    - Focus less on keeping up surface-level appearances in the short-term and focus more on attracting better students and staff over the long run. Bellarmine has been around as long as Sullivan and while its hallways aren't painted 4 times a year it is on a more positive trajectory.
    - Ensure compliance with the Department of Labor and Department of Education a priority before it's too late.
    - Think twice before you lay people off again. It's hard for those who remained to take your two week notice expectations seriously when you gave their teammates zero day notice.
    - Identify talent. Pay them well. Treat them well. You are going to need them badly when the long-time Sullivan employees retire soon -- and they will.

Worked for Sullivan University? Contribute to the Community!