Sullivan University

2.6

Glen Sullivan

love it

I have been working at Sullivan University

Pros

Laid back, Tuition Assistance, personal growth

Cons

not very structured compared to my previous position but most everyone is willing to help learn the ropes

It's okay, BUT...

Former Employee - Professor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Professor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Sullivan University

Pros

Clean environment, good computer/IT systems all over. Pretty much left alone in teaching a class. The place is not a diploma mill and does no pressure faculty to pass all students.

Cons

They ant facuty to feel loyal to the school, and although they give lip service to faculty appreciation, the loyalty goes only one way. Their bottom line is making money, although they do put the profits back into the institution.

Know your faculty and treat them all with respect, not just the favored few.

Terrible overall experience working here

Current Employee - Academics in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Academics in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really can't think of much to say that is positive.

Cons

Culture of this company is terrible. They are in denial that their reputation exceeds itself , so they expect you to sell this company to poor students who are signing away thousands of dollars in student loans... Knowing they can't get gainful employment.

There is a lot of 'good old boys' mentality here and if you aren't a Yes Man or Woman you won't last. You need to change with the times and respect your employees and the students who are your lifeblood.

A very well run University that exceeds all of the SACS and ACICS accreditation standards.

Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably the best value proposition for a private university in the state of Kentucky. Quality education at a reasonable cost. The Chancellor and all of management care 1000 more times about their students than the tuition dollars. That is the key to Sullivan's success.

Cons

When will the other shoe drop. I'm surprised that there has been no class action law suite filed from current and former Admissions Officers regarding the 1/2 of the hourly rate for overtime compensation. In addition to that the Associate Directors of Admissions, who truly don't manage anybody were paid no overtime of any kind for working 60 hour weeks to make their extraordinarily high start plans.

It is what it is. Enrollment is down at all post secondary private for-profit schools. The wind fall of students recruited from 2008-2012 may never happen again. If you want to grow expand to other KY cities and states. You provide a good quality education.

cook food to order

I have been working at Sullivan University

Pros

flexible hours and easy to work with

Cons

the customers are not so nice

Sullivan University exemplifies the best practices in career education... a pleasure to work with and for.

Former Employee - Senior Associate Director in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Director in Louisville, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional, opportunity, collaboration and integrity

Cons

High standards, expectations and accountability

Continue to empower talented people without undue interference.

So thankful to be a part of Sullivan University!

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The long time, motto that is set forth by the leadership of the Sullivan University System is that "we are in the business of changing people’s lives for the better." This company inspires this mantra not just in the students and the graduates that we serve but also in the people we employ. During my time with Sullivan University I have been given the unique opportunity to help change the lives of people for the better every day. It is an amazing feeling and makes “work” something I am so proud of.

In addition, Sullivan has given back to me in so many ways. Each year, I am presented with numerous opportunities for training and development. I am in the process of earning two graduate degrees from 100% support of our employee tuition benefits. I have completed Dale Carnegie Training and further honed my skills by using the plethora of internal training systems that Sullivan University has. I work hard and this company is helping me to realize that my potential is limitless. I give Sullivan 120% and they give it right back to me, tenfold.

All that they invest in me has made me better able to serve our students and graduates. I see the negative feedback on this website and it’s sad to me to see miserable people blame such a great company for their own shortcomings and nonbelief in themselves. Your life is truly what you make it at Sullivan; there is an overabundance of growth opportunities to take advantage of as an employee with this company. Plus, the feeling you get when you help a student or graduate better themselves is in indescribable.

Thanks Sullivan for all that you give to the students, graduates, your employees, the workforce and the economic growth in Kentucky. Our employees got it right when they ranked us so highly that we earned the “Best Place to Work in Kentucky” award in 2014. Sullivan truly is in the business of changing people’s lives for the better and I am so grateful to be a part of it!

Cons

Sullivan believes in giving their employees many chances. The intention is good and comes from a good place but there is much to be gained by letting go of negative, underperforming and entitled employees sooner. For instance, they waste their production time writing false reviews on this website and they spread their “yuck” in our culture. We should work to create a leaner workforce of productive and positive people who are committed to our mission of changing people’s lives for the better. This will allow us to put our talent management and development dollars to better use.

Thanks for all that you do. Keep us the great work!

Ultimately a lost opportunity for employee and employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Sullivan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company offered competitive pay and decent benefits after six months of employment.

Cons

Poor training for role responsibilities, was trained by other departments in an effort to understand my job. It did not give the proper understanding. Not enough constructive feedback in order to actively work on poor work performance.

Invest in proper training for employees. Maintain constructive feedback for employee growth.

Blessed to be at SU

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sullivan is a great place to study and a great place to work. It has a family-like atmosphere that makes coming to work an enjoyable task. The faculty legitimately care as do us office workers. The company has been independently named a Best Place to Work based on anonymous surveys of the employees. No company wins such a designation without truly being such. The negative comments about SU have to be from people who are either out of touch or not in step with the mission and goals of the company. Those individuals should do the students, faculty and staff a favor - hit the road and rid us of your negativity.

Cons

Sometimes the work load gets heavy but that happens anywhere. The upside to this is that when the work is finished, you go home with a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

Keep on listening and adapting in a positive manner.

False sense of security

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Sullivan University full-time

Pros

Management is excellent at pretending everything is alright. The fresh paint on the walls every summer makes me happy. Plenty of opportunity to be fed and have information regurgitated that is not factual all in the name of "caring".

Cons

The company focuses solely on profit and does not care who they have to exploit to get there. It is sad that many students do not feel that their best interest is whole heartedly considered. Poor branding. Poor leadership. Confrontation between departments. Constant changes that are impossible to keep track of. Conflicting policies. Benefits are not family friendly.

Stop trying to hide the truth about the company and actually fix it. Pretending that everything is alright is equivalent to putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound.