Sullivan University

Add Photos

Glen Sullivan

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Louisville, KY

ProsSullivan University is a great place to work. I work with some amazing people whose mission matches mine -- we're helping people change lives for the better. Overall benefits are great, senior leadership listens and is open to new ideas. The company is determined and willing to invest in employee development. I am very excited about the future of this company!

ConsAs many companies out there, Sullivan University had many changes in leadership but all good. It will take some time to reboot the system and to clean up the "negative" mindset caused by former employees who did not care about the company and who are luckily no longer work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making the changes, keep growing and challenging the marketplace out there. Excited to be a part of this company's future.

I had an awesome experience

Marking Tepresentative (Former Employee)
    Lexington, KY

ProsRated as one of best companies to work for in Kentucky by employers

ConsPrivately owned, big turnover on entry level

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater opportunity for advancement

On the up tick

Louisville, KY

ProsSullivan has definitely made some changes in the past year that make working here a pleasure. Anyone who wants to work can find a happy home here. Anyone that wants to be paid to slack off may not be as happy. Overtime policies have changed to be 1.5x pay for overtime. Benefits are good. Opportunities for advancement are presented to those who demonstrate an ability to do their job well. Lots of training is provided and the culture provides a lot of little perks and a lot of fun to break up the day.

ConsSome people may have a hard time accepting that they can't just show up 9-5 every day and never have to work late, work overtime, or work a weekend activity. These people probably don't belong in a work environment that requires more than the bare minimum. It can be frustrating to deal with potential students who are flakey, but that comes with the territory.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making positive changes and continue offering activities that involve the staff and make this a fun, exciting place to work. I haven't been here long, but I can tell this isn't the same place it was a year or so ago.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity to teach and share.

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
    Lexington, KY

ProsWell equipped classrooms.
    Helpful faculty and staff.
    Enjoyed teaching students from all walks of life for 3 years.

ConsOnline classes appeared .to be reserved for instructors located at Louisville campus only. Minor consideration given to non-Louisville based faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide equal opportunity to non - Louisville based faculty to participate with online distance learning.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Admissions Officer (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsFree tuition for a worthless degree

ConsTerrible work-life balance, favoritism is very evident, atmosphere is that of a high school in which if you are not one of the chosen few then you will have a difficult time being successful. Goals are made up without any real evidence behind them. The company has no ethical bone in its structure. Students take on large amounts of debt for degrees that they will never be able to finish. Morally speaking this company only cares about profit and not about education.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople attend a University with the goal of making a better life. Sullivan takes the future of the students that attend and crush any possibility of financial freedom. Most students who attend have to max out all of their eligible aid for an associates degree and may be able to squeeze a bachelor's degree out if they are lucky. Then, once these students get to the end of the program the classes they need aren't offered and they delay the graduation process. Admissions will let anyone in who can pass the test regardless of whether it is a wise decision.

The admissions officers are told that they can deny anyone enrollment if they do not meet criteria however if they do this management will question every move made and push the admissions officer to enroll the student even if it is not in their best interest.

Financial planning coordinators are bullied by admissions management if they advise students on their debt too far past planning out the first year of school. They do not want financial planning coordinators advising students that they will likely run out of aid eligibility past the first year. Students that live in housing have even more debt and will be asked to leave after the first 9 months because they will not have enough aid to cover room and board any further. The school wants them to start but does little to guarantee success.

Enrollment services can't schedule students correctly because of poor policies by the company and classes cancelled the week before school starts.

Scholarships are offered to students not based on eligibility but more as a discount to be able to get in and start with requirements that can't be met so the student typically owes a balance.

The corporate office says they care but they don't. Goals are not realistic. The school should stop spending money on painting the walls every quarter, installing new carpet, and repaving the parking lot every year and instead give the employees a raise that is equal to the increase in standard of living and give the students a cheaper tuition rate. The product they receive is not that great after all. I received my master's degree as a benefit from Sullivan and the accounting class I took was easier then my Accounting 101 course that I took at the University of Louisville.

Also, the insurance package is very pricy and not family friendly. No paid maternity leave so women who have to take off must use any vacation or sick time and then have to pay for insurance since their is no paycheck to deduct it from. Sullivan also battled employees in a lawsuit and lost because they did not pay employees according to the Federal regulations that have been set.

Needs improvement!

ProsTuition benefit is great, it's the only reason I stay until I'm done with the degree. If UofL or Bellarmine offered a similar benefit I would never have looked here to begin with.

ConsTHERE IS NO LEADERSHIP!!!! No one wants to take accountability for ANYTHING from the top down. Placing blame and pointing fingers seems to be the preferred way of spending corporate time. This school treats students like profit centers instead of people and the Admissions team will take ANYONE who walks in the door. Out of the entire building there are only a handful of faculty and staff the genuinely care about the success of the students. Students who don't belong in college keep squeaking by because corporate "leadership" demands that faculty and staff do whatever they need to to keep enrollment up.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at the corporate level. You have people on the corporate team that have created a dysfunctional work environment and who are not thinking past the next quarter in terms of the school's long term viability. This could be a wonderful institution if you would raise the standard of student you admit but most people laugh when I tell them where I work.

unsatisfied employee

ProsTHe only benefit of being employed is the education benefits to fulltime employees.

Conslack of managment structure, policies are always changing, managment doesnt really care about employees at all

Advice to Senior Managementbefore you make a new policy or change to an existing policy, it would be useful to speak with the employees who actually do the things you are changing so you can have an idea of what we do/

Sullivan's Demise

NCHS AO (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsSome of the folks at Sullivan are good people. The management system in place ruins this though because they do not care about the student anymore in the corporate office and the few folks that care are treated like garbage, pretty sad really.

ConsThere were many good people over the years that gave tremendously not to mention the sacrifices made only to watch over the past decade the most management decision debacle in the history of Sullivan University.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the reviews on this website and realize there are many that point to the same individual and get back to the values that once made Sullivan a good institution.

Surreal: The ability to ignore reality and pretend daily that there are consistent successful outcomes is quite amazing

Senior Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsAs long as you receive a nod from 'elite group of senior leadership' your inability to perform means nothing. Moreover, you are 'safe' and will not be held accountable for continued failure.

ConsThe biggest 'con' is the trickle down effect of poor leadership to the most important part of the organization: the students (consumers). Morally, ethically, and legally there are grave injustices that occur daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must acknowledge the dysfunctional culture and hold yourselves accountable first and foremost in order to correct it. You are responsible for the destruction not only of a legacy, but also of hundreds and thousands of students futures.

Registrar Office

Louisville, KY

ProsGreat Benefits. It's a pleasure assisting the students in achieving their goals

ConsToo many people doing their own thing without advice from owner. A lot of confusion within the departments as well as advice that is relayed to the students. No on is on the same page.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen having academic council meetings involve Chancellor Sullivan so he can see what crazy practices that are being enforced. Company was great 6 years ago.

Worked for Sullivan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sullivan University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sullivan University CEO Glen Sullivan. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Sullivan University employees.