SumTotal

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
2.7

Hardeep Gulati

Pros
  • Employer that will lie to you about ay raises, professional growth and WORK life balance (in 9 reviews)

• You can work from home occasionally (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect absolutely no work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is only by title and not by ability or experience (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good entry level positions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal

Pros

Benefits are good, management is usually fair and flexible

Cons

No career paths, stressful jobs

Perfect Job Opportunity for Young Employees

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young average employee age
    Numerous options to advance a career
    Face-time exposure with executive team at almost any level
    Most managers really care about their employees

Cons

Pay is below market average (usually as a result of employing those with less experience)
    Seemingly high turnover in relation to pay

They seem to know what they're doing, but I'd be more generous in compensating the experienced workers who are willing to work long hours for the company.

Company in Transition

Former Employee - Bus Operations in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Bus Operations in Mountain View, CA

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned the challenges of transitioning from Perpetual to SaaS

Cons

Company moved to Florida, most local employees left the company. Methodology implemented was interesting to observe but was very rigid and not always tailored to companies specific requirements.

Good Luck with building a new company and culture in Florida

Politics and Disfunction

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few great people left, but fewer and fewer all the time.
    If you happen to have lived in Jacksonville FL thne this was likely one of the best jobs around, but to be honest I'd consider moving.

Cons

When I was there the biggest issue was the way that people outside the head office were treated by those in Jacksonville. Whether you worked as a remote worker or as at a remote office you simply were out of the loop with little or no attempts made to include people.
    They paid Really low.

For a company that grew up in the Learning space and stills earns a very large proportion of it's revenue from the various LMSs they sell I'd expect them to have more respect for L&D as a function.

Manager, Engineering

I worked at SumTotal (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary. Use to be very nice team culture.

Cons

No innovation. It has become more like customer support company.

Build quality product.

Probably a good company if they fire divisive middle managers

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company good for fresh graduate. Try to get rid of all experienced employees and replace them with contractors and new graduates.

Cons

- Bad middle layer of management. Employees work hard but middle layer tries to take all credit. My manager was a bad employee who didn't know understand about the company products. The only way she was keeping her job was to have other people fired to save her skin.
    - Top layer doesn't try to get in touch with employers. All the middle managers work as a syndicate. They keep tab on their team members and share information and make it difficult for members to do work.

Please get rid of divisive middle management especially in PMO .

It was great. Employees were great. Management used to be great.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work. Employees were what made it great.

Cons

Yes, we were all conned. They told us company was doing fine. Then laid off half the company the next day.

don't outright lie to the people who work for you. That's just not cool.

Chill work.

I have been working at SumTotal

Pros

If you love Gainesville, this is a good place to work.
    You can work from home occasionally. Technologies are easy to work on.

Cons

Compensation is very less compared to others in the industry.
    There are abrupt changes to the management. Top level decisions are kept very discreet.

Better training videos

Bottomless pit of despair

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great people. You get insurance. You have that going for you, which is nice. It also provides a roof over your head when it is raining outside. And free bagels on Fridays if you can beat the herd to the kitchen.

Cons

Everything else. The pay is abysmal, yet you're constantly reminded of how great the pay is. From day one you're told about how there is a ton of opportunity for growth, but there are amazing employees who have been working for the company for years and have not been promoted and have not received a raise other than the 1-3% raise (3 if you're lucky) each year.

The people who make decisions all come from a work culture that consists of fear and being overworked due to fear of being replaced. What this translates to is management expects full commitment, even outside of work hours. You have to be on call on weekends, which means you may receive phone calls simply because a call needs to be scheduled between two parties other than yourself. This is because people at SumTotal don't know how to make calls themselves and have to have the TSE coordinate for them.

Upper management is only by title and not by ability or experience. Everyone above low level management should be removed from the organization to let people who actually do their jobs run the company. Things would get done and ignorant decisions would not be made if that were the case. Delegation is the word of the day at SumTotal and everything rolls down to the low level managers and their direct reports. The low level managers are not able to do their jobs because they end up shouldering a majority of the responsibility to prevent the TSEs from being completely and utterly overwhelmed. This doesn't come as a surprise though, because the managers who delegate the most work away from their own plate end up getting promoted and are now Directors and VPs.

Every good employee leaves because they soon realize that all promises made to them are empty and that the people calling the shots lack the fundamental skills required to actually leads a group of people.

The practices employed by this company are insane no matter what department you work for and it is only a matter of time before the company is gutted and everyone is replaced by the company that just bought it. Vista Equity Partners has run the company into the ground in the name of making a few bucks and now real lives are paying the price. Congratulations Vista. Congratulations management. Now do everyone else at the company a favor and acknowledge the fact that you don't deserve your role and you have no idea how to do your job. Please. You're ruining great people.

Realize that you aren't qualified to manage and let someone replace you who can do a good job and not make everyone under you want to leave. If you are a manager and you are reading this wondering if you are that person, then you are. Just know that you are.

The two best days in the life of a SumTotal employee are the day you get hired and the day you quit.

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got a paycheck, albeit a small one.

Cons

I was excited when I was first hired. I enjoyed my job, and liked the day to day challenge. The newness quickly wore off when I realized that hard work did not pay off there. It was quickly apparent that working extra hours and/or weekends was never appreciated and was expected as our :service to the organization." Title/pay and responsibilities never seemed to align and the promises of promotions are empty. When asking how to grow in the organization you are told "Keep doing what you're doing" and are never provided a clear career path.

Upper management would not set realistic expectations with customers. They would arbitrarily pick and choose customers to get special treatment. This ultimately meant that after the sale, the customer was already set up for failure. We simply did not have the manpower to support them in the fashion that was promised.

The worse part about working at SumTotal was how hostile the environment was. Upper management disrespected the people on the floor making things happen. They assumed that we were unintelligent and unable to have ideas of our own. They would instruct middle management to micromanage us, as if we were incapable of prioritizing work on our own.

Attention Skillsoft Management - Fire everyone director level and above. They are incompetent and care not about the people that work underneath them. They will flat out tell you how replaceable you are, which is what ultimately lead me to find new work. The practice of bringing people over from India instead of promoting people with good ideas within global headquarters needs to stop.