SumTotal Reviews

Reset

1. Great place to work if you want a flexible schedule

Current Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great team environment. They offer a very flexible work schedule. You are given opportunities to work on new platforms and be a part of rolling out new technology. It's a very exciting place to work.

Cons

The work day can be long at times.

Advice to Management

Please make every effort to keep good talent around.

2. Coworkers were wonderful, issues with management.

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are supportive, social, and friendly. Opportunities to move within company and advance.

Cons

Management is poor, salaried and hourly employees were overworked,

Advice to Management

Need more communication from top-down, too many organizational changes were sprung on employees after major decisions had been made.

3. Company places a low value on employees

Former Employee - Sales in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales in Des Moines, IA

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company pays decent compensation and benefits. Allow for career development (although are under-staffed so employees work long hours and handle enough work for several full-time employees).

Cons

Leadership is motivated only by profitability (they are owned by a private equity fund). Very rough corporate culture. Extremely vulgar and talk badly about customers behind their backs.

Advice to Management

A lot more professionalism needed. Treat employees and customers with more respect.

5. sucks

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, unless you're unemployed. Otherwise, look elsewhere. The place is a joke

Cons

Terrible pay, mediocre products, lousy support, management focused on staying alive for the quarter instead of building the team.

Advice to Management

Quit.

6. Heading the right way...

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Ability to have a voice if you want it * Excellent co-workers across the board * Ability to travel * Solid Exec team I have been at SumTotal for over 8 years at this point in time. I have read alot of the negative reviews on this site and cannot say that I disagree with everything they say. SumTotal has had a lot of change and some of that change has been extremely difficult and caused a number of us to question the direction. Lately I see a lot of positive signs in our updated product, changes in executive management, overall strategy, etc.all giving a sense that 2014 will be the start of a new direction in our company, and I for one have bought in.

Cons

* Work/Life balance can be tricky * VERY cost consious * Process can be a little too regimented Ultimately SumTotal has done a lot of growing up and that can be seen in some of the issues we face as a company. However, I see some of these challenges as temporary as we get our new direction and leadership established and I truly believe that same leadership when it states that these issues are top of mind and priorities to fix in 2014.

Advice to Management

Consistency in messaging and strategies. As we react to our market we tend to change directions fairly quickly. While being nimble is an excellent trait for a business too many changes can be confusing and lead others to wonder if we truly have a strategy for the long term. I believe this is being remedied but likely it will take some time to really cement this as the case in many people's minds and your sustaining a consistent message will be key in this portion of company's history and turnaround.

7. Losing focus

Former Employee - Customer Support in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Peers are fantastic. The people you work with day to day are the driving force to come into work in the morning. Local management is good and does the best with the resources they are given.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. Once you get outside of your regional area, no one has a real grasp on what is happening at each of the satellite offices. Processes that work for one product are forced upon other product teams that simply cannot follow the same process.

Advice to Management

Gain insight on employee morale and do something to actually address it rather than just talking around it.

8. No trust in their people

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people, Lots of young energy

Cons

A culture of mistrust that goes all the way from the top down. No respect for professionals in their middle and lower management levels.

Advice to Management

Trust you people.

9. Sales

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has very good working conditions. Open communication and the management team has open and honest communication

Cons

Sometimes process driven but it's a software company

Advice to Management

Keep the direction!!!

10. Some good people still holding on a vision.

I worked at SumTotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits were reasonable

Cons

No Teamwork, off shore team and US team constantly play the blame game. No support to succeed in your role at all. Expect absolutely no work/life balance

Advice to Management

Need to focus on customer and product and clean house.

11. Sr. Support Eng.

Former Employee - Senior Support Eng
    Former Employee - Senior Support Eng

I worked at SumTotal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work, but you will work hard. Co-workers were knowledgeable and helpful. Even though we worked remotely, there provide good means to keep everyone connected.

Cons

Compensation wasn't the greatest. The company completed way to many buyouts with smaller companies and the transition took to long to manage those teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed