SumTotal Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.6

Hardeep Gulati

Pros
  • Employer that will lie to you about ay raises, professional growth and WORK life balance (in 9 reviews)

• You can work from home occasionally (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect absolutely no work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• lack of vision, loyalyty to staff low base (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at SumTotal has been an amazing experience so far. As an entry-level employee fresh out of college, I was astounded to realize that my role is not only valued within my team but that I actually have a direct impact on the business. This is not a sentiment that I have heard from ANY of my classmates who have taken on similar entry-level roles.

Creativity is welcome and new ideas are taken seriously. The environment is great for self-starters who enjoy testing their own limits, but also offers the opportunity to work collaboratively as part of a bigger team. Great corporate culture and great work/life balance!

Also, there seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth. Internal mobility is encouraged without the rules and regulations that would come with a larger corporation (must spend X amount of time in a position before moving departments, positions, etc…).

Cons

The work environment is fast-paced and ever-changing. No two days are the same and at any given time you could be managing multiple projects (which I really enjoy). If you are looking for a job that is repetitive and slow-paced, this is not it. The fact that a large majority of the workforce is remote does present some communication challenges. Working here means that you can't be afraid to pick up the phone and call someone if you need answers.

I have had multiple opportunities to interact with senior management and can honestly say that I would feel comfortable reaching out to any one of them personally if I ever had questions or feedback that I wanted to share. Keep it up!

Good leadership, limited room for growth or talent

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at SumTotal as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very active company with high, but reachable targets. Good facilities with modern equipment and coffee, soda and other drinks for free.

Cons

Not always driving the people for self-improvement or learning, and treats contractors poorly. However, full-time employees are well treated and often stay there for many years.

Give your employees room to grow and move to other positions and you'll have happier folk. A good working environment doesn't always necessarily mean happy - you have to have adversity to overcome it!

Very rewarding and satisfying experience working for the leader in HRMS space

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for other big companies before but the unique experience that I have working for SumTotal is it's pure performance-driven, customer-focused work culture. You are encouraged to take ownership and new ideas brought to the table are always considered and commended.

Great brain-trust and energetic team mates. Flexible schedule and location (work from home). Inter-department move is possible. Company-facilitated training sessions to improve technical and functional skills. Opportunity to develop next-gen applications using some of the latest technologies, while getting an exposure to the entire development life-cycle.

Cons

We can do better with our succession planning

Continue recognizing your talented workforce

An organization that actually allows you to grow and achieve your goals

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are numerous career opportunities. The compensation is above average. SumTotal is a leader in the space and well recognized. You're surrounded by a workforce that wants everyone to be successful and the organization to be the greatest in the industry.

I've worked for multiple competitors and I can tell you SumTotal is the best in the space. A very well-known client base, amazing product, and a great team that makes things happen.

Cons

SumTotal went through some growing pains years ago, but is now a completely transformed organization.

If you are looking for an easy 9 to 5, without much creativity or a voice, and not planning on working hard to be successful...then this is not the place for you.

SumTotal provides an exciting and dynamic work environment with the potential to make a difference.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I admire the leadership team because I know that when I'm working long hours to accomplish what I need to accomplish, they are working just as long or longer to drive success.

Cons

We run a lean environment across all functions, and while we are always striving to create more efficiencies, we tend to have a reactive nature.

Continue to make improvements to become more proactive across all functions.

A long-term opportunity that won't disappoint

Current Employee - Recruiter in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From the very beginning, my experience with SumTotal has been nothing less than amazing. They truly value a model of promotion and retention with all employees. SumTotal's executive team stands behind every hire that is made, and wants to see everyone be successful in their career.

Everyday I get to work with amazing people to offer new and exciting career opportunities. These opportunities not only stretch and strengthen old and new skillsets, but also further display our company culture to put employees first. This is the culture I want to be a part of for a very long time.

For this reason, I can say with 100% confidence that I love my job! (Quite possibly the best in SumTotal)

Cons

My one and only request would be that there would be more opportunities to meet SumTotal's International teams.

Continue to show everyone employee how much their contributed efforts go into making SumTotal runs as an organization.

A joke for pro's, OK for new grads

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intensive sales 101 training; great for newbies, boring for pros.

Cons

Anal retentive protocols, miserable sales comp unless you're OK with 50-70k total a year, confusion and lack of issue ownership internally, lack of expert field support, Primarily a farming role.
    Significant functional issues with several key products; poor integration into main product line.

None. Until Vista Partners (holding co.) stops milking the revenue from all their subs including this one, there will never be a budget to adequately comp and staff to true requirements. This is a cookie cutter company with a very unimaginative sales/operational approach that survives not through new logo growth but because of their long-term SW contracts.

Truly unfortunate

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some true gems of employees who are still fighting to make it a better place to work.

Cons

Everything else. Hell on Earth. Too much work with too few employees. Constantly dealing with inter-fighting amongst groups and have to escalate everything to get something done. Do NOT work here unless you enjoy chaos and working at least 60 hours a week.

Appreciate and compensate your employees because they're working hard for you. Take a step back and fix your product before it gets any worse. It's impossible to successfully implement a broken product.

The Point of No Return

I have been working at SumTotal full-time

Pros

If you are single, have no social/family life, and want to work way more that 40 hours per week for maybe 32k a year, then this will be the perfect job for you.

Cons

The company requires you to "pass" an "IQ" test prior to being hired. They cannot hire people at the same rate that people are quitting/getting laid off due to this. They move people from one department to another trying to keep the employee happy so they won't quit, but refuse to hire and have that employee train someone which leaves the position open for months and requires others to pick up the slack. Then when someone is hired they have people who don't know what they are doing train the new hire and then no one knows what they are doing. The only direction people have are the interpreted guess on a process - things are changed so frequently, but those changes are rarely communicated.

Practically everyone I know in the company are looking for other jobs.

There is constant messaging about teamwork and how the US and India teams are one, but it is actually a fight between the two teams and the two locations have completely different processes where when things have to cross sides it becomes a whole ordeal because you spend more time arguing then fixing things for the customer.

Anyone who is given a company phone is on call 24/7 and expected to work 24/7.

When hired you are not told that there will be rotated scheduled weekend on-call work that you will have to do, or that there is Pacific time 11am EST-8pm EST rotated scheduled work weeks that need to be covered. These can vary for number of times per year depending on how many people work in your product line - twice a year to twice a month.

There are also multiple other reasons for management to give excuses to manipulate you into working late or over weekends at other times throughout the year. Ex: We are releasing a new product soon and so they are requesting people work over Thanksgiving weekend with a few weeks notice. This company has no regards to you or your family.

They have gone from legit international company to using "global company" as an excuse for outsourcing. Many US resources who had been with the company for a long time and were "making too much money" were let go. They refuse to give raises and question your motives when you ask for reasonable compensation, although they ask you to work triple since they refuse to hire more people. Although, they are bringing someone in a high-level position from India to fill the same position in the US - this includes, from my understanding, paying for his work Visa, paying for 3 months of hotel stay and cab fare, etc. until he settles in.

Stop constantly asking how you can help make things better and then when a very reasonable suggestion is made do not argue and say there is nothing wrong and then turn the blame on the employee for not "going above and beyond" their pay grade, their job duties, and their departmental functions. If you think there is nothing wrong, stop asking us how to fix it.

Stop playing mind games and being manipulative.

Stop asking employees to spy on other employees and report back what your co-workers conversations are and if they were "headed in the right direction" or not. Also, when you have to make a point to say that what you are asking is not spying...it is spying.

Actually be a manager; actually make decisions. Very few managers know what they are doing and just pawn off decision making to low-level employees so managers don't have to take the heat when it goes awry.

I know that the CEO has zero to little influence on the company as SumTotal is owned by Vista Equity Partners, but it seems that all he cares about is the sales team.

Total waste; absolutely the worst company ever. Run away!

Current Employee - Disillusioned Job Hunter
    Current Employee - Disillusioned Job Hunter

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work remote on occasion; many good employees who leave as soon as there is any option to do so

Cons

Terrible management; no vision; everything is a hack; no concern for customers, functionality or product usability. Poor communications; low pay; long hours; no respect. The management is totally lost about how to run a service-based business. Who builds a service business without full or even partial redundancy? SumTotal does! Decisions are made based on cost only. What is the worst is that management has the delusion that they are doing the right thing. Do everything quickly at the lowest cost. Push out products that don't work and fix them later. Wretched, soul-sucking company that pulls everyone down to be an ultimate underachiever with no goals or ambition to do anything correctly.

Quit! Now!