SumTotal

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
2.5

Hardeep Gulati

Pros
  • Employer that will lie to you about ay raises, professional growth and WORK life balance (in 9 reviews)

• You can work from home occasionally (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect absolutely no work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management is only by title and not by ability or experience (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Sumtotal

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are good.

Cons

SumTotal is all about numbers. There is no life/work balance with this company. I left this company to gain some balance in my life and find a company that cares about people. This company offshores as much work as it possibly can. I have worked for other software companies and this is by far the worst culture I've worked in. Colleagues are all overworked and have become bitter and difficult to work with due to overwhelming work loads.

Treat your employees like people and not a number or you are not going to have a company.

Working at SumTotal

I worked at SumTotal full-time

Pros

Colleagues, Things are always challenging and keep you going, Work Life Balance, Work schedule flexibility

Cons

Top Heavy Compensation Structure, Unclear direction

Great workplace, excellent culture

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very engaged and passionate user base.
    Some very talented employees.
    Company culture not just makes for a great place to work, it actually makes you a better human being.

Cons

A lot of ongoing changes in the marketplace and the competitive landscape.

Keep up the great work!

A great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at SumTotal has been an amazing experience so far. As an entry-level employee fresh out of college, I was astounded to realize that my role is not only valued within my team but that I actually have a direct impact on the business. This is not a sentiment that I have heard from ANY of my classmates who have taken on similar entry-level roles.

Creativity is welcome and new ideas are taken seriously. The environment is great for self-starters who enjoy testing their own limits, but also offers the opportunity to work collaboratively as part of a bigger team. Great corporate culture and great work/life balance!

Also, there seems to be a lot of opportunity for growth. Internal mobility is encouraged without the rules and regulations that would come with a larger corporation (must spend X amount of time in a position before moving departments, positions, etc…).

Cons

The work environment is fast-paced and ever-changing. No two days are the same and at any given time you could be managing multiple projects (which I really enjoy). If you are looking for a job that is repetitive and slow-paced, this is not it. The fact that a large majority of the workforce is remote does present some communication challenges. Working here means that you can't be afraid to pick up the phone and call someone if you need answers.

I have had multiple opportunities to interact with senior management and can honestly say that I would feel comfortable reaching out to any one of them personally if I ever had questions or feedback that I wanted to share. Keep it up!

Good leadership, limited room for growth or talent

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at SumTotal as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very active company with high, but reachable targets. Good facilities with modern equipment and coffee, soda and other drinks for free.

Cons

Not always driving the people for self-improvement or learning, and treats contractors poorly. However, full-time employees are well treated and often stay there for many years.

Give your employees room to grow and move to other positions and you'll have happier folk. A good working environment doesn't always necessarily mean happy - you have to have adversity to overcome it!

Very rewarding and satisfying experience working for the leader in HRMS space

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for other big companies before but the unique experience that I have working for SumTotal is it's pure performance-driven, customer-focused work culture. You are encouraged to take ownership and new ideas brought to the table are always considered and commended.

Great brain-trust and energetic team mates. Flexible schedule and location (work from home). Inter-department move is possible. Company-facilitated training sessions to improve technical and functional skills. Opportunity to develop next-gen applications using some of the latest technologies, while getting an exposure to the entire development life-cycle.

Cons

We can do better with our succession planning

Continue recognizing your talented workforce

An organization that actually allows you to grow and achieve your goals

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are numerous career opportunities. The compensation is above average. SumTotal is a leader in the space and well recognized. You're surrounded by a workforce that wants everyone to be successful and the organization to be the greatest in the industry.

I've worked for multiple competitors and I can tell you SumTotal is the best in the space. A very well-known client base, amazing product, and a great team that makes things happen.

Cons

SumTotal went through some growing pains years ago, but is now a completely transformed organization.

If you are looking for an easy 9 to 5, without much creativity or a voice, and not planning on working hard to be successful...then this is not the place for you.

SumTotal provides an exciting and dynamic work environment with the potential to make a difference.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I admire the leadership team because I know that when I'm working long hours to accomplish what I need to accomplish, they are working just as long or longer to drive success.

Cons

We run a lean environment across all functions, and while we are always striving to create more efficiencies, we tend to have a reactive nature.

Continue to make improvements to become more proactive across all functions.

A long-term opportunity that won't disappoint

Current Employee - Recruiter in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at SumTotal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From the very beginning, my experience with SumTotal has been nothing less than amazing. They truly value a model of promotion and retention with all employees. SumTotal's executive team stands behind every hire that is made, and wants to see everyone be successful in their career.

Everyday I get to work with amazing people to offer new and exciting career opportunities. These opportunities not only stretch and strengthen old and new skillsets, but also further display our company culture to put employees first. This is the culture I want to be a part of for a very long time.

For this reason, I can say with 100% confidence that I love my job! (Quite possibly the best in SumTotal)

Cons

My one and only request would be that there would be more opportunities to meet SumTotal's International teams.

Continue to show everyone employee how much their contributed efforts go into making SumTotal runs as an organization.

A joke for pro's, OK for new grads

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Northeast, NY

I worked at SumTotal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intensive sales 101 training; great for newbies, boring for pros.

Cons

Anal retentive protocols, miserable sales comp unless you're OK with 50-70k total a year, confusion and lack of issue ownership internally, lack of expert field support, Primarily a farming role.
    Significant functional issues with several key products; poor integration into main product line.

None. Until Vista Partners (holding co.) stops milking the revenue from all their subs including this one, there will never be a budget to adequately comp and staff to true requirements. This is a cookie cutter company with a very unimaginative sales/operational approach that survives not through new logo growth but because of their long-term SW contracts.