Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

Toru Kuwahara

Good Entry level experience

Engineer Technician I (Current Employee)
Marysville, OH

I have been working at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsGood leadership, Helpful co-workers, Team based atmosphere

ConsWorkload takes getting used to.

Good place to work if you are looking for high job security

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood healthcare & 401k benefits, good job-security. Employees rarely get fired at this company.

ConsThere are limited opportunities for career advancement. Promotion for local employees is based on tenure. Management positions are mostly filled by Japanese expats who come to the US on 4-5 year assignment. They don't have vested interest in the long-term success of the company.

Employees get only 5 days of PTO per year until the 4 year of employment.

Very long work hours in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocalize more management-level positions. Offer better salary and PTO package.

It is a great company, with excellent benefits, pay, and people.

I have been working at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMy experience with Sumitomo has been excellent. I've been given many growth opportunities over the years and really like it here.

Our benefits are some of the best in town with an excellent 401K program. In addition, our Wellness program has been fun and helpful. And unlike what another reviewer said, it is not just for losing weight. It's about creating a balance body and mind.

ConsThere is a component with training that needs work. We don't really have any but my understanding is that HR is working on that and will be rolling it out soon.

Also, it would be nice to know professional growth opportunities, it's not always clear what one needs to do to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest with associates for growth and training.

I wished for a lot more professional training (either japanese or american)

Organizational Development Analyst (Former Employee)
El Paso, TX

I worked at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work environment
OK liberty to create and implement new ideas
Good benefits

ConsNot a lot of interesting corporate promotions/positions
Lacks a lot of training. Needs world-class training for such a big company
No motivation

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should invest more on motivation and creating a much more 'modern' company where people can work from anywhere and be more freely to do a lot more.

Good first experience in manufacturing

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsFriendly work environment - Everyone was very helpfull
Low stress
Decent pay for a college student
Good work out facilities

ConsMy main issue with this job was the fact that the employees I worked with were not very motivated to go above and beyond. For example I completed all work assigned to me in the first half of the day. When I asked for more work I was told by a senior employee "slow down young fellow, we don't want to set the bar too high."

Not a family oriented place to work.

Harness Designer (Former Employee)
Northville, MI

I worked at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems

ProsIf you don't mind working alot of hours. They pay pretty good and have good benefits.

ConsDo work at the last minute, not very organized. Management is very insincere, don't try to make any connection with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that can encourage there workers. It's easy to get someone to work overtime or get them to do something for you when you are nice. The moral os a company lies in managers hands so if they have no people skills then they shouldn't be in that position.

IF you can't find a job anywhere else...

Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
Edmonton, KY

I worked at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems

ProsIt's a paycheck. There are some good people at the plant.. but they're in the minority. The benefits package is adequate, and cost of living in this area of Kentucky is very low. The scenery is beautiful, and the winters aren't too bad.

ConsNon-existent leadership, toxic political infighting between departments, utter inability to remove "problem" employees, completely unrealistic expectations from top management, utter lack of cooperation with Japan-side sister companies, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management definitely needs a more physically present supervisory role at this plant. The department heads here are like petulant grade schoolers, taking "shots" at each other whenever the opportunity arises. If you can't get something done by corresponding with an employee below manager-level, you're probably in for a protracted fight between your department manager and someone else's.

overtime

Prosget paid after 45 hours of work per week even exempt

ConsThere are a lot of work.

Slow and boring - not a dynamic or motivating environment

I have been working at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems full-time

ProsStable company, steady paycheck.

Decent salary for location, do offer some help with relocation.

Acceptable benefits such as 401K match, health insurance, scholarship opportunities.

ConsTerrible HR:
- They sell a lot of the benefits when you start working, but create obstacles when you actually try to take advantage of them.
-Awful wellness program, focuses too much on competitive weight loss - not everyone needs to lose weight! Yet participation in programs is required to not have your health care costs increased.
- Overall unpleasant dealing with them, very unprofessional.

Little chance of advancement:
- If you don't speak Japanese, don't expect to be promoted beyond manager. In fact, if you don't plan on working there for 10+ years, don't expect a real promotion. This company does not promote based on effort or talent, but on tenure. This is extremely demotivating for young, intelligent employees with upward ambition.

Will not get rid of problem employees
- High turnover rate for educated, valuable employees
- On the flip side, this company values "loyalty" in the form of people who have worked there forever but do the bare minimum. Instead of getting rid of ineffective people they will reassign responsibilities and keep promoting people just for the years worked versus actual results. This leads to complacency and entitled employees.

Unfair comp time
- They do not have overtime if you are salaried, but the HR manager will email you if you are 5 minutes "late" in the morning. Of course, he leaves at 5 PM sharp every day so he wouldn't know that you stayed hours of (uncompensated) overtime the night before. Ridiculous and petty.

Very few vacations
- You only get 5 vacation days the first three years you work there. It's like they punish anyone who doesn't work for them for their whole life and only reward you after you've been at the company for 15 years, even if you did nothing but show up to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of motivating and promoting young talent! They are leaving in droves because they feel unappreciated and bored.

Seriously overhaul your HR program, it does a terrible job of preserving and taking care of your most precious assets: your people.

Have more women and non-Japanese in upper management. There is a HUGE disconnect between the people on the ground, those who do all the actual work, versus the executives from Japan. Very bad communication and messy organization. Also, a lack of opportunities for women.

ok company to work for

I have been working at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems

ProsFriendly environment and a lot of diversity

ConsUnfortunatenyl, the lack of room for growth in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh expecations with little rewards

Worked for Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems CEO Toru Kuwahara. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems employees.