Summa Health System

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Akron, OH

Pros

Truly live their mission, makes it easy to do the right thing!

Cons

Challenging financials, not unique in healthcare.

Listen to your staff.

Really enjoyed my time here

Current Employee - Environmental Aide  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Environmental Aide in Akron, OH

Pros

Got along well with coworkers and boss
    Decent hourly wage for the work I was doing (college student)
    Time and a half pay when you worked holidays
    Paid time off and paid vacation time
    Steady, consistent hours, MUCH better than my previous job!
    Excellent benefits for even the lowest paid employees
    Partial tuition reimbursement depending on your major

Cons

Working 2 holidays a year and one weekend a month
    Hard to take classes if you're a working student like I am
    I was hired as part time but more often than not worked full time hours due to high turnover rates in my department and short staffing (janitorial staff)
    Working around sick people
    VERY strict rules about calling off sick, being late, nitpicky staff. Can be quick to reprimand even if circumstances are unavoidable.
    Some nights busier than others depending on how many patients are discharged

Lighten up on late/sick policy and don't be so quick to discipline
    Benefits are great, but for hourly workers it can sometime cost half a paycheck each month
    Revise the health exam so employees who do take benefits don't get charged extra for being considered unhealthy due to a very skewed rating system

Employees aren't valued

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Akron, OH

Pros

Supportive co-workers; organized volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Where to begin? I loved being here the first three years; it was a more positive environment than the hospital system I'd come from. Gradually they wore us down. No raises for three years - based on patient ratings, not finances, which isn't fair to administrative employees. Consistently told by management we were lucky to have jobs. In the lowest pay bracket for my job with ten years experience. Very underhanded way of dealing with employees; top management very secretive, with middle managers practically flaunting their "inside" knowledge as to who was next on the chopping block. Poor compensation for employees, and an overpaid administration. One example: Nursing Administrator makes $600,000 a year. No one at Summa contributes enough to the system to earn that much money. How many jobs could be saved by taking back $500K of that?

Don't call yourself a "health system" when all you do is make people sick.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out great ended wrong

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Pros

Coworkers are great and neighboring departments great to work with.

Cons

Senior management has is ideas and heads in the wrong places. HR is not supportive unless they are pushed. No pay increase in 4 years, always promised and never delivered. Reason, unexpected expenditures.

Get it together, or you will lose.

It was a learning experience, good and not so good.

Former Employee - Unit Secretary  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Akron, OH

Pros

A few good reason s to work for Summa are 1) ability to work in different jobs and learn new things. 2) ability to grow, during education and job transfer. 3) the multiple shifts/ hours that can be worked.

Cons

The fact that they have no leniency on the Flu Vaccination Policy. The fact that they cut the lower wage employees hours, to assist with the budget cuts. How easily they will terminate, over the smallest things. Lastly, their issue with offering unemployment benefits.

Work with your staff to keep them compliant with all policies, procedures, changes and updates. Listen to your staff. Never just listen to one staff member, listen to the majority.

RN, BSN

Former Employee - RN, BSN Med/Surg  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - RN, BSN Med/Surg in Akron, OH

Pros

Close to home. Got to wear whatever color scrubs you wanted.

Cons

Extremely stressful, Patient to RN ratio was 10/1. No teamwork. Co-workers clicky and gossipy.

Hire more qualified nurses.

Human resources is terrible and don't inform employees of resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Pros

Hours were great for a family

Cons

Close minded , little training , and no help from human resources when facing challenges

Value employees not the job

Managed Poorly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Pros

The people I worked with were great for the most part. I miss the patients and I give props to all the ICU nurses.

Cons

Your voice as an employee is not heard by management, at least from my experience.

Poor Moral - Punitive atmosphere-poor staffing ratios-they micromanage and do not promote autonomy - do not encourage in

Current Employee - Registed Nurse  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Registed Nurse in Akron, OH

Pros

They usually have very good supervisors on evenings, nights and weekends

Cons

Overall, poor management with "bobble head" mentality. They are not usually proactive of their staff. Any support comes from the Physicians. I graduated from their school of nursing and have worked with them for most of my career. I used to be jokingly referred to as one of Summa's biggest cheerleaders....unfortunately that is no longer the case. Except for surgical procedures, my family members choose to be treated at other hospitals. Summa has really compromised their ethics and care of patients. I never thought I would see the day that the Hospital I believed was #1 would fall so low.

Care, Care, Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start focusing on your staff and the problems at hand. They are your first line of defense. They are afraid to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. Invest in your employees and you will reap the benefits and see Summa soar once again. Morale and faith in who you work for can make all the difference, but that is not really possible when overall, Management is punitive and closed minded. What a shame.

Warehouse temp help.

Former Employee - Warehouse Help  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Help in Akron, OH

Pros

The upper management were great to deal with, it was the lower management and office staff looked down on the people in the warehouse.

I had run upon bad times do to the economy. I had my own company related to construction and all of my clients had either gone under or stopped doing any work and was faced with debt and no work. At that time I was willing to do anything trying to keep up with my financial obligations, that is how I ended up in the warehouse.

Cons

Listed above are some, plus some people thought you were stupid because of what you were doing. I had run various projects around the country and large crews of different trades, I always treated everyone the same. When I was on the other side of management working as a temp, I found it very disappointing that people were looked down on by the office staff.

Walk a mile in the shoes of your employees before you pass judgement on others.

Worked for Summa Health System? Contribute to the Community!