Summa Health System

Thomas J. Strauss

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsTruly live their mission, makes it easy to do the right thing!

ConsChallenging financials, not unique in healthcare.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff.

Really enjoyed my time here

Environmental Aide (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsGot along well with coworkers and boss
    Decent hourly wage for the work I was doing (college student)
    Time and a half pay when you worked holidays
    Paid time off and paid vacation time
    Steady, consistent hours, MUCH better than my previous job!
    Excellent benefits for even the lowest paid employees
    Partial tuition reimbursement depending on your major

ConsWorking 2 holidays a year and one weekend a month
    Hard to take classes if you're a working student like I am
    I was hired as part time but more often than not worked full time hours due to high turnover rates in my department and short staffing (janitorial staff)
    Working around sick people
    VERY strict rules about calling off sick, being late, nitpicky staff. Can be quick to reprimand even if circumstances are unavoidable.
    Some nights busier than others depending on how many patients are discharged

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up on late/sick policy and don't be so quick to discipline
    Benefits are great, but for hourly workers it can sometime cost half a paycheck each month
    Revise the health exam so employees who do take benefits don't get charged extra for being considered unhealthy due to a very skewed rating system

Employees aren't valued

Coordinator (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsSupportive co-workers; organized volunteer opportunities.

ConsWhere to begin? I loved being here the first three years; it was a more positive environment than the hospital system I'd come from. Gradually they wore us down. No raises for three years - based on patient ratings, not finances, which isn't fair to administrative employees. Consistently told by management we were lucky to have jobs. In the lowest pay bracket for my job with ten years experience. Very underhanded way of dealing with employees; top management very secretive, with middle managers practically flaunting their "inside" knowledge as to who was next on the chopping block. Poor compensation for employees, and an overpaid administration. One example: Nursing Administrator makes $600,000 a year. No one at Summa contributes enough to the system to earn that much money. How many jobs could be saved by taking back $500K of that?

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't call yourself a "health system" when all you do is make people sick.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a learning experience, good and not so good.

Unit Secretary (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsA few good reason s to work for Summa are 1) ability to work in different jobs and learn new things. 2) ability to grow, during education and job transfer. 3) the multiple shifts/ hours that can be worked.

ConsThe fact that they have no leniency on the Flu Vaccination Policy. The fact that they cut the lower wage employees hours, to assist with the budget cuts. How easily they will terminate, over the smallest things. Lastly, their issue with offering unemployment benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your staff to keep them compliant with all policies, procedures, changes and updates. Listen to your staff. Never just listen to one staff member, listen to the majority.

Started out great ended wrong

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsCoworkers are great and neighboring departments great to work with.

ConsSenior management has is ideas and heads in the wrong places. HR is not supportive unless they are pushed. No pay increase in 4 years, always promised and never delivered. Reason, unexpected expenditures.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, or you will lose.

RN, BSN

RN, BSN Med/Surg (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsClose to home. Got to wear whatever color scrubs you wanted.

ConsExtremely stressful, Patient to RN ratio was 10/1. No teamwork. Co-workers clicky and gossipy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more qualified nurses.

Human resources is terrible and don't inform employees of resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsHours were great for a family

ConsClose minded , little training , and no help from human resources when facing challenges

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees not the job

Managed Poorly

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThe people I worked with were great for the most part. I miss the patients and I give props to all the ICU nurses.

ConsYour voice as an employee is not heard by management, at least from my experience.

Poor Moral - Punitive atmosphere-poor staffing ratios-they micromanage and do not promote autonomy - do not encourage in

Registed Nurse (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThey usually have very good supervisors on evenings, nights and weekends

ConsOverall, poor management with "bobble head" mentality. They are not usually proactive of their staff. Any support comes from the Physicians. I graduated from their school of nursing and have worked with them for most of my career. I used to be jokingly referred to as one of Summa's biggest cheerleaders....unfortunately that is no longer the case. Except for surgical procedures, my family members choose to be treated at other hospitals. Summa has really compromised their ethics and care of patients. I never thought I would see the day that the Hospital I believed was #1 would fall so low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare, Care, Care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start focusing on your staff and the problems at hand. They are your first line of defense. They are afraid to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. Invest in your employees and you will reap the benefits and see Summa soar once again. Morale and faith in who you work for can make all the difference, but that is not really possible when overall, Management is punitive and closed minded. What a shame.

Warehouse temp help.

Warehouse Help (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThe upper management were great to deal with, it was the lower management and office staff looked down on the people in the warehouse.

I had run upon bad times do to the economy. I had my own company related to construction and all of my clients had either gone under or stopped doing any work and was faced with debt and no work. At that time I was willing to do anything trying to keep up with my financial obligations, that is how I ended up in the warehouse.

ConsListed above are some, plus some people thought you were stupid because of what you were doing. I had run various projects around the country and large crews of different trades, I always treated everyone the same. When I was on the other side of management working as a temp, I found it very disappointing that people were looked down on by the office staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk a mile in the shoes of your employees before you pass judgement on others.

Worked for Summa Health System? Contribute to the Community!