www.summerlinhospital.com

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital

Pros

The pay is pretty good. Better than any other place I've been offered a job at (lots of job offers).

Cons

Work 6 days a week sometimes.

None at this time,

Former Employee - Software Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Software Support in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Summerlin Hospital as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Worked at the hospital as a contract employee. Great team to work with. Everyone willing to help each other learn. I worked in at least two departments, and everyone was very friendly.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Listen to the staff and the suggestions they have for the hospital. I think it is very important to listen to the staff regarding the suggestions they have , because they are on the front lines dealing with the general public.

My time at Summerlin Hospital was challenging

I worked at Summerlin Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Around the clock shifts, perfect location, clean environment

Cons

Staff was not willing to teach nor showed enthusiasm with training

Executive Level Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful Facility in a lovely part of the city. Dedicated C-Suite personnel

Cons

Regional Financial Leadership only focused on the financial bottomline and not the facility's patient safety, staff and physicians

Ensure that you value your associates and help them to progress in their career

RN III

Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - RN Staff in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UHS implements evidenced based practices and best practices and supplies were more cutting edge. There was outstanding educational support for newly hired nurses within the UHS System.

Cons

This hospital is far from pro-nursing. I last worked there in 2010 and at that time there was no strive for Magnet status. This may have changed since this credential is now highly associated with Quality care and the embodiment of Health Reform is looking closely at quality. As I stated above there was excellent educational support for new nurses but, it seemed to stop there rather than encouraging all of their nursing staff through various stages of there careers.
    I was a critical care nurse in the MICU and last worked at Summerlin Medical Center in 12/2010 at that time the nursing culture in the MICU did not embrace the nursing profession rather than seeing it as a job. There were literally 2 strong nursing leaders during the time that I worked at Summerlin MICU and a crew of punitive management (most charge nurses included) which were not leaders.
    Lastly there were no intensivists in the critical care units or house doctors for the floors to support patients and nurses overnight or even in a critical situation.

I apologize for inaccurate information if efforts have been made over the last 3 years to change the culture of nursing but, I feel that there is a lot of support from UHS which could be far greater utilized to really make Summerlin an outstanding nurse centric hospital. Nurses need to be supported to produce research, achieve certification, and stay current by attending conferences (which I should add are often in LV).
    Patient safety would improve if there were intensivists in the critical care units, house MD or acute care NP's to support floor staff, and lastly establish a team to solely work codes and rapid responses.

It was good

I worked at Summerlin Hospital full-time

Pros

Nice building. Extremely personable people

Cons

Employees are not empowered to make improvements

Understaffed and underpaid

Current Employee - Registration in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registration in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The majority of co-workers are very nice and I actually do like my manager.

Cons

- Always, always, always understaffed.
    - On-Call/Per-diem folk are not used properly. I mean if it's a real busy day CALL THEM IN. The fact that management is so restricted with hours in a registration department that makes over 300,000 a month in collections for the hospital is ridiculous.
    - Employees that slack off and don't care about the rest of the team kind of ease on by.
    - The work load can be a bit ridiculous especially working in the ER.
    - Patients constantly complain regarding the amount of papers they have to sign. I mean seriously...why should an ER patient have to sign almost 20 pages worth of documents? It's ridiculous.
    - It's all about the collections. Customer service is very secondary.
    - No real part-time positions are available. It's all full-time or per-diem. The CEO has no tolerance for more than 3 per-diems for a staff of 30. And refuses to give us a part-time person on the weekend...which are normally are busiest days...even though we are already more understaffed on the weekend than on the weekdays.
    -WAY underpaid for how much they expect of you.

Just stay away.

Reconsider staffing and staff more the weekends. Allow management to hire more on-call/per diem workers to help fill gaps. Also hire some part-timers. It's ridiculous not too.

Exhausting and treated like dirt on shoe.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Summerlin Hospital

Pros

The same as any hospital:Job stability and benefits

Cons

patient loads to heavy
    never acknowledged for anything good
    bugdet is #1, not staff license or patient safety.
    they expect you to do things that they themselves could not or would not do.
    supervisors will YELL at you and talk to you like a child in front of others.

Realize that the people that are on the front line of patient care are the ones making you all that money. While you point out that there are always other people who will do the job, eventually the word will get out about how you treat staff and then you will REALLY be "short staffed". Staff surveys are positive because the majority of the people that are doing them are sitting behind a desk and dont have to worry about retaliation if truthful.

No different than any other hospital in Las Vegas...Inferior medical care throughout the city

I have been working at Summerlin Hospital

Pros

Money, self scheduling, supportive night shift nursing supervisors

Cons

Inconsistency with rules, unsafe nurse to patient ratios, allowing doctors to behave inappropriately without any recourse

If you want HCAP scores to improve you need to provide the staff with proper equipment to do their job.

Summerlin Hospital Photos