Summit Funding

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.5

Todd Scrima

I enjoy waking up and coming into work every single day!!

Current Employee - Loan Partner in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Partner in Chico, CA

I have been working at Summit Funding full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is up-beat and positive! Co-workers offer assistance and are willing to help each other out when needed. I appreciate my pay and the benefits are a great bonus as well! Since the first day I began working here I have felt right at home. The office is a big family who all genuinely care about one another and the branch manager makes himself very available for any questions and truly cares about his team. I hope to be with this company forever.

Cons

I have only worked here for a couple of months but I have not been dissatisfied with any person or situation.

ON THE ROAD TO IMPROVEMENT (MAYBE)

I worked at Summit Funding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Todd Scrima, the owner of Summit Funding, genuinely cares about his employees. He's down to earth & he will do what he can to help. He holds himself to a very high standard. This company has GREAT sales motivation & programs in place to help you become a good sales leader. However, if you are at a remote branch in a different state, his attitude & work ethic have very little bearing on your manager & superiors at your office.

Cons

Being at a remote office versus corporate gives your superiors the "right" to basically do what they want & get away with taking advantage of people, switching their pay grades, changing their titles without their consent, etc. The training is terrible (mostly because it's non-existent) & the stress level is HIGH because it's sink or swim every day, and unless you find a co-worker who graciously volunteers to help even though they have their own heavy workload, that's the only way you'll make it. Their basic webinar trainings are worthless. Also, their Operations department is caring & they try, but they are TERRIBLE as far as knowledge & efficiency goes. Everyone is overworked & underpaid (except the LO's). Inexperienced underwriting. Very hard to compete with other companies because they have higher rates & disappointing turn times.

Get to know your branch managers better. Eliminate their micro-managing tendencies & eliminate the negative ones that sit around & collect a paycheck while they break their employees' backs. Pay attention when particular branches/people have the HIGHEST turnover ever. Make Rick Ruby stop bullying people. Also, implement REAL training. In office one-on-one training so your employees feel prepared & don't make mistakes all the time.

Terrible place to work - terrible manager in Chico who only cares about himself, and SLOW turn times on loans

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Chico, CA

I have been working at Summit Funding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

compensation is just "comparable" Tracy in Chico is pleasant to work with. But nothing more to say from there.

Cons

They set you up to fail, unless you are a frat type, forget it, you wont fit in. They run the office in Chico like a frat house, and if you aren't in the "click" your only a person to add some numbers to the wall. Training is terrible and needs so much work, there is no support in making sure the employees have what they need, and the manager certainly doesn't care, if your not selling it is easier to let you go than spend some time away from his activities of the day (golfing, playing pool, etc....) to help you out. I would not recommend this office to anyone. working or needing a loan.

I don't have advise for the Chico Manager, but rather the upper management. There's more going on in Chico than you think, you may have the numbers from there, but the management is not good at all....

Best Company I Have Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Confidential in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Confidential in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Summit Funding full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ethics are real, not just given lip service. The leadership holds themselves to even higher standards than they expect of the workforce. The owner of the company honestly cares more about having a great company than in making more money than everybody else at any cost - rare in this business. If you are a person who thrives on self-improvement and goal setting, you will never find a better place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the rules imposed by H.R. or Facilities can seem obnoxiously controlling and short sighted, but as time goes on, the overall good of everyone tends to win out, so you just have a couple of odd inconveniences. Fast paced and very demanding work environment - not for state worker mentality. If you are a person who doesn't feel the need to improve yourself or set goals, you will think the culture is weird and Stepford-wife like.

Continue messaging the value of improving lives and developing great people!

Great Fit for Me

Current Employee - Corporate Department Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Department Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Summit Funding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company listens to its employees. We have a voice in our department meetings, our corporate meetings and if you want to be anonymous you can give your feedback on the regularly scheduled Culture tests that go to every employee in the company. Our Senior management is relevant and in touch with what is happening. Loan Officers can get an audience daily with the decision makers if they disagree with a loan decision. I have never felt more a part of a team striving to be great than I have at Summit Funding.

Cons

Can some really, really smart person please figure out how to moderate or predict the dramatic volume swings in the mortgage business? At Summit we have permission and are encouraged to hire ahead of the volume and are allowed as many temps as our department can use but with the craziness of this industry we still end up working long hours and giving it our all to keep our sales team and branches feeling supported. This is the case with every mortgage company and bank I have ever worked for. Where is the Nobel Prize Winning answer to this?

Keep listening, keep caring, keep working to make us the BEST mortgage company. It is what sets us apart and what makes Summit THE place to work.

Unbelievably positive atmosphere with great employees and a leader who is driven and accountable!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Summit Funding full-time

Pros

I have never worked for a company who asks their employees for suggestions on ways to improve. Summit not only asks you how they can improve the company overall, But they provide you with a plan of action with a timeline. They truly care so much for their employees it's almost unbelievable.... They have a specific employee who dedicates her time in ensuring people are acknowledged for their birthdays and anniversaries. You will never go hungry here they're CONSTANTLY thanking their employees not only verbally but also by providing breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Cons

They are constantly implementing change in order to grow the company and make is better. Also you may need to work overtime but unlike other companies they DO compensate you for your overtime.

Market and brand yourself effectively/strategically. Everyone should be aware of the awesome qualities Summit has to offer not only employment but service as well. After all not very many mortgage companies can say they grow in a declining market...

This is NOT the best place to work, it's truly the worst job I've ever had!!!

Former Employee - Former Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Summit Funding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A couple really cool Underwiters- let me stress just 2 nice Underwiters the rest of them will yell at you.

Cons

Management at corporate is REALLY BAD. I find the review by a manager laughable. Corporate office does not operate that way. Don't believe it!!! If you choose to work for this company management will treat you poorly. They will use you for what they need then get rid of you. There is a manager who shares her extracurricular actives with her employees and I've seen "things" passed around the office as well. I know it's the mortgage industry but come on- can't it wait til after work? If you like to be verbally abused on daily basis Summit is perfect for you. If you like High School mentality Summit is the place to be. Cool with gossip and back stabbers apply at Summit. One last thing, do not confide in your manager at corporate office. I shared very personal things with my manager looking for some advice and she shared it with other employees. I still to this day feel sick about it!!!

Please start treating your employees with respect. Don't make people feel expendable. Stop with the favoritism. Fire all the managers especially the UW Support manager and start fresh!!!

Good company culture and team oriented employees!!!

I worked at Summit Funding full-time

Pros

Everyone in each department communicates well and provides positive reenforcement. Training is always available and any issue or concern is treated as an opportunity to improve and grow. Leadership is great and work-life balance is just fine. I've gained a lot of knowledge and experienced while at this company!

Cons

Corporate departments are all extremely kind and help train you, but that positive, team-oriented company culture didn't seem to trickle down across every branch consistently. There is a gap between the branches and corporate that can be bridged more.

Office culture in branches needs to replicate the corporate's infrastructure as best as possible. Also, keeping all departments on the same page about every policy and guideline is rough, but prevents problems or miscommunication from escalating.

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Summit Funding full-time

Pros

I wish I had something to say but I don't.

Cons

It doesn't matter how hard you work if management doesn't like you- you're out! I worked at corporate office and I've never experienced such a hostile work environment. I couldn't believe what people got away with. It's was very sad and disappointing.

Care about all your employees. Invest in your employees. Create a positive work environment. Don't lead your employees on be truthful and loyal. One recommendation for Todd is to find new managers at corporate office.

Horrible company to work for!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Summit Funding

Pros

No pros at all with this company!

Cons

Make you work overtime and don't pay you for it. Staff was rude and pretentious. Poor structure of loan management from start to finish. Employees left people's personal information insecure. Horrible work environment!!

Go paperless teach your employees to respect each other.