Summit Polymers

Summit Polymers Reviews

James H. Haas

Lots of promise...and inconsistency in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time

Pros

No debt, steady hours, lots of customer potential

Cons

Inconsistent management style, managers change area´s of responsibility on an almost weekly basis, production goals supercede quality and safety objectives

Be consistent, share the workload more evenly amongst managers and supervisors so that direction to the employees on the floor is more consistent and can be taken more seriously. There shouldn´t be a fire drill everytime a certain regional manager comes to visit, goals should be the same day in and day out, SAFETY, QUALITY AND THEN production.

The employees at summit are the a bunch of excons, that will back stab you right out the door!

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Portage, MI

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cannot think of any pros ! summit polymers is the most tacky, low life place to work anywere.

Cons

The maintenance department is the biggest group of cut throats I have ever met, they see it as their duty to get a person fired any way they can and then advertise to everyone in the plant how they managed to accomplish this,if you are considering a job summit do not waste you'r time it will be a negative career move or just plan death to you'r career and attitude. STAY AWAY FROM SUMMIT POLYMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What managment, anybody can pit employees against one another !

Limited growth

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Summit does offer decent benefits (medical, dental, 401k). Employee deductibles are fairly low compared to other companies.

Cons

Growth potential is higher for men. System utilization is very poor. Data is unreliable. System is antiquated. Company does not want to invest in systems that will allow them to grow in a successful manner.

Invest in systems and other assets to provide improved tools for your employees to succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good entry level experience but little reward/recognition for hard work

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Portage, MI

I have been working at Summit Polymers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent and very affordable benefits; ok starting pay for entry level experience; clean manufacturing environment

Cons

Very little reward or recognition for hard work; pay increases minimal; very reactive, not proactive; poor organization

Try to do things to keep good employees, like pay them what they are worth. Turnover for HR Coordinator is very high because with a little experience in the job, one can go to many other companies for much greater pay.

Glad that I was offered an office job with another company....i feel bad for the factory lifers.

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck every week.

Cons

They need AC for their floor employees....

Treat the employees as people and not numbers.

Summit review

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portage, MI

I have been working at Summit Polymers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Summit has ups and downs. Men earn higher wages and are promoted more often, but everyone who works hard will have a job. They are a large employer in our area - many families have several people working here.

Cons

Wages are generally on the low side for the automotive industry. The only way to make more is to be promoted to manager or supervisor. Some people are great where they are, but make terrible managers.

Reward people for the jobs they do well. Turnover will be reduced if you reward for a good job.

This is a company that can get your bills paid

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Dock Audit  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Dock Audit in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits good pay overtime if you want it

Cons

Upper management is not friendly. Many look down on entry level workers.

Get to know the floor workers. They are the individuals that keep the organization running. It is OK to speak to them.

It had its ups and Downs

Former Employee - Forklift Operator  in  Shelbyville, TN
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Shelbyville, TN

I worked at Summit Polymers full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a very good fit for me
    the pay was competitive
    and they benefits pkg

Cons

there was some inequalities with the the way offensive clothing was handled.
    Had a team leader who would LIE to get people in trouble even fired

Complaints about offensive clothing or attitudes should be handled as such

Fast paced and friendly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Elizabethtown, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elizabethtown, KY

I have been working at Summit Polymers

Pros

If you're looking to live in etown... Summit is a great place to get experience in different areas

Cons

Downside? I've seen fellow employees become wrapped up in work. At the end of the day... if you don't have personal management you will fail to grow.

Great place for men to work but a poor work environment for women.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

I worked at Summit Polymers

Pros

If you are of the male gender, your opportunities for job advancement and compensation are actually quite good and you can expect much in the way of training.

Cons

Harassment and far lower wages for women in this workplace are not uncommon. If you place a complaint then expect retaliation from those higher up. They also expect you to do your own reviews of your job performance with instructions that you should not rate yourself highly as it will show no room for improvement and will reflect on you poorly. They will then take those ratings later on to use against you stating that you agreed that you were a poor employee. My time at Summit was the lowest depths of hell. By going through the channels of complaint directed by the company it put me in a position where the people involved in the issue were informed and were able to not only retaliate but were open to building a case against me that improperly showed me as being a poor employee.

This company could do FAR better. Take a long look at the actual job performance of your managers and PLEASE work to change your policies on reporting issues. Many times the issues (harassment and discrimination in my case) are partially due to the managers of the department and the requirement to contact your manager FIRST before working your way up the ladder only opens the door to retaliation. Employees many times don't have support from those higher up and are sacrificed when management mistakes are made. This company during my time there was definitely run as an "old boy's club".

Worked for Summit Polymers? Contribute to the Community!