Summit Retail Solutions

3.4

CEO

I love my job!

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions

Pros

Pros are that it's commission based with excellent training. The management is a responsive and reasonable. If you're not making the sales that you need to to cover your pay you get more training, rather than negativity. The sales team is also generous with their knowledge. Top performers are always willing to help out someone who is struggling. The company culture is positive and enthusiastic.

Cons

No cons really but this job isn't for everyone. It's a lot of work to move product from location to location. But if you're a self motivated person with a good student mentality you won't mind because the pay more than makes up for the heavy lifting.

Keep up the great work!

Brand Representative

I worked at Summit Retail Solutions

Pros

This is a job that takes constant dedication and perserverance to be successful

Cons

You work weekends. Alot of stress

Strictly Entry Level

Former Employee - Senior Brand Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Brand Representative

I worked at Summit Retail Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Completely independent of a direct manager/boss. (Get to run your own sales demo)
    Commissions (credited once a month)
    Supportive team willing to help but you must ask for it
    Decent communication via conference calls
    I highly encourage you to take this job if you are seeking an Entry Level Sales position.

Cons

Commissions are basically a bonus (you work $12/hr for 10 hours= $120. Your sales for this day were $800) $800x.25%=$200-$120=$80 bonus not commission.
    Conference calls are daily throughout your 4 sometimes 5 day work week and normally last an hour of the same brainwashing sales jargon.
    Say goodbye to your weekends. Normal work week consists of Thurs-Sun sometimes Thurs-Mon
    Every 2 weeks you switch out of the BJs/Costco/Wegmans that you are in
    100-150+ Miles of travel per work week. And if your car breaks down you are fired, (saw it happen to a co-worker)
    Paying system is questionable. (explained below)

Stop the conference calls, notify us of the "high-rollers" through a weekly memo or email, your conference calls really cut into my sales floor time.
    If you expect us to work
    You can pay us for 38 hours of work but when we clock in 50+ and don't see a dime for overtime you should really raise your hourly wages plus the amount of manual labor we are expected to do is not worth the amount of "compensation" we receive

Thus prospective Summit Employee, take this job as strictly entry level it is a great resume filler especially if you are a college kid with reliable transportation struggling to find something

Interesting

Former Employee - Brand Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Brand Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Summit Retail Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for if you want to work very long hours, driving 30 + miles and transporting your product. And if you are a good sales person.

Cons

If you are a family orientated person it is very hard to manage since you are working every weekend and it is very hard to get days off.

Great learning experience, but not a great career

Current Employee - Brand Representative
    Current Employee - Brand Representative

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company trains you well on the system with a great support team. Benefits are good. Starting salary is alright, but if you work hard and are in a good location, you can make good extra money from commission. You are paid an hourly rate every day, so if you don't do so well in sales, you don't owe the company any money, you just don't get any commission. You do learn a lot about sales techniques which is helpful. And there are opportunities for growth in the company. Some people really love this job, because you make your own success and can make a lot of money.

Cons

You work every single weekend... and long hours- 40 hours in 4 days but really its more like 45 or more during the holidays. If you have a spiritual life which includes attending church on sunday, it is tough to manage. You work more hours than you are scheduled for, which you can technically enter and get overtime for, but it is taken out of your commission.
    Everything is extremely repetitive. You sell the same product every day for 3 months or more, which for me got tiresome and made me feel a little stuck. You also have conference calls every morning and on some days off. Conference calls are anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and on your day off you have 2 or 3! And every single week, they say pretty much the same exact thing.
    You work for other retailers, not your own, so occasionally a GM won't like your company and it makes the job quite stressful. Most of the time, you work by yourself, which can be lonely, and not great for morale. Sometimes you get to work as a team, which is helpful, but you have to split commission and make less money.
    Growing in the company is great, but when you train someone new, their payment comes out of your paycheck, instead of getting paid more. Also if you get a promotion, know that your pay increase can be taken away just after a couple weeks of getting it, but still expect more responsibilities.
    Inventory is terrible! It was my nightmare. First off there is so much inventory, it can be hard to calculate. You also must send a paper copy of your inventory to administration and use the inventory portal which is extremely time consuming and frustrating due to the glitches with the program. If there is any kind of technology failure, consider it your fault, and you may get a commission reduction.
    If you have a family, I don't recommend this job, because you will never see them.

Make the inventory portal easier to manage.

Summit Retail Solutions Response

Nov 26, 2014President

Thanks for your response. I would start by saying that we recognize the challenges with the roll-out of our new inventory portal. We invested a significant amount of money in software to improve the ... More

I was really excited to work for this company.

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions

Pros

No supervision, friendly customers and weekly pay.

Cons

Conference calls on your day off and while driving to work. Expects to conduct business outside of business hours. Low mileage reimbursement. Get written up if you are sick. No sick pay although they say they give 12 days a year.

Please find a better system when it comes to conference calls. Employee should not have to do anything work related on their day off. Reimburse employees for their mileage. Employees should not receive warnings/write ups when sick. Other than that I would love to stay but not happy with your current practices.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Summit Retail Solutions is a growing company. If you are dedicated to your position and desire growth there are many opportunities. The management team is dedicated to assisting representatives to allow for success. You truly feel like a valued member of the team instead of just a number.

Cons

This is a sales position where you get out of it what you put in. If you are looking for an easy position with little work this is not the job for you.

Not so great

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions

Pros

Working by yourself is cool.

Cons

A bunch of extra work that you do not get paid for... Like conference calls on days off and inventory that is way more complicated than it has to be. Morning pump up calls before work that are literally pointless. They promise certain things like bonuses for recruits but do not deliver. You Have to carry inventory in car and even store at home. When you get a raise they simply take the money you make extra out of your commission so it does not equal out. They are very quick to take your raise back if you have a bad week. Your are constantly being blamed for inventory mess ups that are due to poor inventory system rather than personal faults.

Choose one set of inventory having two separate things is redundant and frustrating for employees and people should not have to do so much work on their days off

Worst manager ever

I have been working at Summit Retail Solutions

Pros

Met some smart people that deserves better

Cons

Dumb company to ever work for! So annoying with content calls, text messages even on your day off !! Expect for you to drive out over 40 miles from your home to sell stupid products work crazy long hours so no family Time on weekends I'm assigned to the worst manager ever he don't answer calls, talks to you any kind of way. Reported him multiple times nothing happened this company is not what I thought it would be needs to pay more attention to the people they choose as managers all they care about is us employees making they money

It's sucks need new management

So unethical it's laughable

I worked at Summit Retail Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I met some hard-working, good coworkers who were so overqualified and unappreciated it was sad.
    I met some interesting customers who made the day go by faster.
    I learned how to never take a good job for granted.
    I learned In sales you must ask for and get complete transparency in how your compensation will be calculated.

Cons

They explained your compensation would be hourly plus commission. It is NOT! Your hourly rate is an 'advance' or a 'draw' that is then taken out of our total sales.

They will try to tell you the company is growing like crazy and the opportunities are endless. The company ISN'T really growing like 'crazy', they constantly have to hire people to replace the ones who leave right away. So don't be fooled. Their retention rate is deplorable. Worst I've ever seen in any company in all my years in the workforce.

In order for you to see a dime of commission, you must do at least $700 a day in sales as a brand rep and $860 as a senior brand rep. In my opinion in working for them, your ability to make commission is completely dependent on foot traffic and your market, and you have little to no say in where they send you in your 'pod'. They try to say if you have a great work ethic you can make a lot of money, but working hard for them only put lots of $$$ in their pocket, not mine.

The management will try to manipulative you in to thinking a rep put in a low-income area can do just as well as a rep in one of the wealthiest areas. Their motto is 'no excuses'.

They offer no vacation, no sick and no holiday pay.

They compensate mileage at .30 cents a mile (for anything over 40 miles) when the federal minimum standard is .565 cents a mile.

Be transparent in the hiring process.
    Give at least the federal minimum standard for mileage reimbursement and lunch breaks.
    Start offering sick, holiday and vacation pay.

Summit Retail Solutions Response

Nov 5, 2014President

Thanks for your time submitting this review. I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. You are correct that we have some really great employees. In my interaction with them, I would ... More

Summit Retail Solutions Photos