Summit Solutions

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
3.5

Chris Homan

Con Artist. Unethical. Deceiving.

I have been working at Summit Solutions (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people (not genuine, hidden agenda nice) I really have nothing nice to say- it's that bad.

Cons

Door to door salesman. They mislead candidates by calling their positions anything other than that (marketing, customer relations manager, business admin. ) DO NOT BE FOOLED. It's door to door soliciting. Then they tell you there is room to move up (which is highly unlikely if you ask the right question) THEN to add insult to injury- it's ONLY COMMISSION. they ask you to work 8-6 with no base pay or salary- no benefits, no reimbursement for gas, which you burn through at the job. WASTE OF TIME.

I lost all trust and respect for the owners/managers when I expressed my concern about the pay. He offered me $200 bucks a week (which for a 40 hour week is a joke, never mind it's more than 40 hours here) but then I thought. What about those sorry people that don't bother to ask because they are so desperate for a job? It's not fair that he extends that extra pay for only people that know to ask.

Don't take advantage of students entering the job market. What you do is a lie , deceiving, conning, unethical, and a joke. I feel bad for the people you fool into your cult.

Great People - Misleading Position

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time

Pros

- The people are friendly and truly make an effort to get to know you.
    - The bosses seem to genuinely care about your success in the company.
    - Lots of training. You're encouraged to ask as many questions as possible. You "shadow" an experienced salesperson throughout the day until you're comfortable going out alone.
    - When in the office, everything is comfortable and casual.

Cons

- You're told that this is a management training job where you first start off in sales, then slowly work up the ladder. The company provides a detailed "ladder" model, but when you ask more questions, you realize that almost no one ends up in an actual managerial position, let alone past the 2nd level. Basically, it's just a door-to-door cold solicitor job.

- ONLY commission-based. I'm not sure how the company manages to keep their employees like this. It's a great trap for recent college grads who can't seem to find a job. Obviously, if you're truly convincing and lucky to find clients who happen to need some office supplies/misc., you'll be able to make a lot of money. Most times, however, your days will be 0-3 sales, possibly only making $40 after commission.

- You have to travel all around the Bay Area, yet you're not compensated for it. Of course, you could write it off on your taxes, but still.

- Very long hours. It's kind of unavoidable, since everyone in the office goes out on their own all day and you have to all meet up or wait for remaining salespeople to get back into the office for an end-of-the-day debrief.

Having this job simply be commission-based is no better than companies taking advantage of recent graduates with unpaid internships. This might work in areas with cheaper living expenses, but this is the Bay Area. I would not be surprised if there are lots of employees that barely have any money left over after paying rent and bills. Even offering minimum wage on an hourly basis would motivate your employees even more, and allow them to stay with the company.

Also, stop advertising your entry level positions as being administrative management training. You know it's not, and your potential employees will soon figure out that it's not soon enough. Just list your positions like they are - sales. You should also tell your potential employees upfront during the interview that they should be comfortable with cold sales.

Why falsely advertise and not offer a small hourly rate? Stop taking advantage of people, and pay them for their work. The bonus one-on-one training is great, but definitely not worth not getting to pay your rent.

Oct 20, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback. We are so glad you had a positive experience with the team and the training process. We're sorry it was not a good fit for you, but we do stand behind our training program ... More

Run

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. People are very nice
    2. Owner cares about your success

Cons

Dont let their description of their company fool you, this is strictly a door to door salesman position. You are basically a solicitor. You are only compensated on commission, and their were days I actually lost money because they dont reimburse you for travel. Hours are also very long and youre in the office for a few hours each day for which you are not getting paid for at all.

In order to have any success with this business model in the Bay Area, your employees must be compensated in an hourly pay model. There is a reason for so much turnover in this company.

Oct 8, 2014President

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the team and understood that we care about everyone's individual success, as well as the success of the entire team. With that being said, sales is ... More

Great Mentorship & Fun Work Environment

Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 on 1 coaching and mentorship from people that actually want you to improve in and outside of work, lots of fun work events and social events during the week and on the weekends, and with the career path there is a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

It's more than just a clock-in, clock-out job, you have to learn how to prepare and plan before you come to work. You learn lots of new skills and habits, which makes it tough at first and lots of people can't handle that.

Keep working hard and growing, seems like you guys are going in the direction you want.

Sep 29, 2014President

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review!

Awesome Opportunity For Work Experience!

Former Employee - Lead Business Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Business Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and mentorship; I think it's cool that the owner is always willing to spend time with new people and schedule time to mentor and coach his employees. I also think its cool that people here actually care about helping people improve in your personal habits and skills that will help you in all aspects of life. Another cool thing is all the cool work events they do. They have work BBQ's and work trips frequently.

Cons

It's cool having mentorship and coaching to improve, but it's really hard to change personal habits to improve. Improving communication, organization, work habits, and developing others is a must here if someone wants to move into a management position.

Keep doing what you're doing! You guys made it a fun work environment and I learned a lot. All the skills and habits I learned there have really helped me in my professional career.

Oct 8, 2014President

Thanks so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed our team environment and focus on helping everyone individually improve!

Hard to say about this one

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Fun Boss
    2) Positive working environment
    3) Good people
    4) Really make you feel like you could be something
    5) Fair training
    6) Very good support (from most)

Cons

1) 4 out of 6 Leads tend to just leave you there. Give you a few pointers then say: "Alright-see ya!"
    2) Boss appears to be the only one genuinely invested in your success.
    3) Need to be upfront about the pay. They once advertised $16 an hour and recently started saying "will be discussed".
    4) Rather difficult to be passionate about selling office products and supplies.
    5) Training you get here, you can actually find elsewhere with greater compensation.
    6) Seem to hook those inexperienced in life; naivety is sweet succor to these types of workplaces.
    7) Not for introverts unable to step out of their comfort zone.
    8) If you feel like you could do way better, then you're probably right.

To the reader: The title to this review is befitting as it is hard to say or give an ultimate verdict on a job like this. I have worked in sales for many years and would simply wish to place this review as a fair warning to those less experienced in this world. Door to door sales is NOT for everyone and you certainly have to have thick skin to make it through. There is virtually no pay and it's mainly, if not, entirely-based off commission. This works great for the company because there is virtually no loss of money should you fail to meet productivity (except the investment of time of course!). You also need to understand that should you get to the level of opening your own branch, the contracts that are rewarded are more like "borrowed hand-me-downs" of which you ultimately have little to no ownership over. To those of you who believe in greater possibilities or have higher ambitions believe in that and allow the world to be your teacher, as it may prove ever more rewarding.
    As for the management, you guys need to be more upfront about what you offer. If anyone appears to not understand the pay, you have to TELL THEM AS CANDIDLY AS POSSIBLE, this is commission, not hourly based. Other than that, you all do a stand up job and are efficient as per your duties and responsibilities. Good luck to you all and may you and Cydcor find success only where it is due. Cheers.

Aug 27, 2014President

We appreciate your feedback. We're glad you did enjoy our positive work environment, our team, and our training! To your pt 1) - After about a week of training (sometimes sooner), we do feel that one ... More

Door to Door Sales

Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly Environment
    -Seems Like People have fun here
    -Hours seem reasonable Mon-Fri and get off no later than 6pm

Cons

-Walking for 8 hours
    -Door to Door sale of office equipement to different businesses
    -Money made is Commission only (No Base Pay)
    -Door to Door sales for 6-12mo before being able to become Assistant Manager
    -Driving far distances
    -No reimbursement for driving and gas used

When people come in for an interview let this be known upfront before asking if they want to come in the next day for an all day job shadow. I asked if this was a door to door sales job because of the reviews I had read, I was assured that they were looking for people to train as accountant managers. After the job shadow I seen for myself it was nothing but walking for 8 hours trying to sale office supplies to different businesses such as auto shops and saloons. If I was told it was commission only and based on sales I would not have came to the interview or job shadow....Could have saved everyones time.

Jul 4, 2014President

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We are sorry you misunderstood the position during the interview process. We try to be very clear from the preliminary candidate screening call ... More

It doesn't even feel like a job, Love the atmosphere, opportunity, and everything else!

I have been working at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing to work with and they are always there for you no matter what. Major focus on training, both personal and professional. Opportunity is huge in this business which is good if you want to work for it.

Cons

Definitely not for people who want to sit around and do nothing. This isn't a con for me but some people might not want to work hard for their earnings and get what they actually deserve.

Nothing comes to mind. Keep it up everyone!

May 15, 2014President

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We are so glad you enjoy the people you work with. We strive for a great company atmosphere, where people are not only motivated to work hard, but ... More

Finally a company that truly offers growth

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Summit Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I first walked into summit I was super excited! Lots of young, energized, good looking people who are really excited about something! As I learned more I was just as excited. I've spent several years getting stuck in middle management and unable to get out. Summit offers really opportunity which is 100% based on performance. There is no seniority. Looooove that

Cons

If you're not looking to work hard than this isn't the place for you. There is a lot of opportunity bc the business is hard and requires 100% focus in and out of the office.

Keep it up!

Aug 27, 2014President

Thanks so much for your review! We're glad to hear that you enjoy our work environment and opportunity to grow your career!

The people that work here are all studs.

Former Employee - Lead Account Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Account Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Summit Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked working here. To me it was more than just a job - it was a big self-growth opportunity for me, and I was able to surround myself with the best people in the business. You will learn more here doing hands on business than in four years of school. I loved the competitive atmosphere and the drive to succeed.

Cons

Hard work, need to be decent at time management

Get to know the new people a little more!

May 15, 2014President

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us feedback. We are glad to hear that you learned a lot during your time with us. We appreciate your advice to get to know the people more, and we took a ... More