Sumner Regional Medical Center

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
CEO

1. Community-feel with a bright future!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SRMC is unlike any other hospital. They really put the patients and families first (with the #1 focus on Customer Service), care about their employees (great benefits, competitive pay), and have an outstanding leadership team (Lifepoint CEO of the Year, future growth is BRIGHT - future career opportunities).

Cons

New leadership = Exciting changes, but growing pains. The hospital has a history of doing things the same way. The new leadership team has implemented new strategies to improve the hospital; however, some tenured employees aren't used to change. Overall, the changes are going to help the hospital/system improve their level of care/customer service.

Advice to Management

Continue making each employee feel valued.

2. RN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working here. This is the worst possible hospital to work in middle Tennessee, by far.

Cons

The insurance benefits are terrible. The quality of patient care is embarrassing. The administrators do not value their employees whatsoever. It is unsafe to practice nursing in this setting.

Advice to Management

You're not going to be able to keep quality nurses employed here for long periods of time of the level of care and the treatment of employees does not improve soon.

3. The good old days..... there is a difference in profit vs. non-profit

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, and it's close to home. Many who work there are very good people and hard workers.

Cons

Benefits are not as good as other not-for-profit hospitals in Nashville, and the salaries are less, so that should be taken under consideration. There really is a difference in a not-for-profit hospital and a for-profit hospital......in the way the employees and the patients are treated. This is true of this hospital, as well as the closest other hospital in Hendersonville, which is owned by HCA.

Advice to Management

If you're going to preach accountability, walk the talk. If you're going to have people in management teaching customer service classes, you might want to make sure those people will actually speak to other people in the hallway "before" they start teaching those classes. Hard to teach what you don't know..

5. Worked at Sumner Regional for years

Former Employee - Security Officer in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Facility - Majority of coworkers are awesome - Benefits are reasonable - PTO is outstanding

Cons

It is a place where it is not what or how much you know, but who you know! Personal evaluations were very unfair (Based on a director who micro-managed the supervisor) Evaluations were made by a director who had not observed associates work ethics all year and/or by a totally new supervisor) Women & age was discriminated against in some areas, regardless of experience or work ethics - I came with 20+ years experience, including management in my field of labor, accompanied by numerous excellent references. New men with less experience would be hired at a higher rate. I had worked directly with one such coworker (trained him) & knew his practices. He was given a $1 per hour raise, when it would have taken me 3 years to receive this amount. I quit willingly, after nearly 8 years of observing such unfair practices. This associate has since been fired, due to his unethical practices. Just one example!

Advice to Management

Spend more time out on the floor, one on one with the associates - Show more care for the working class - Allow them to share problems with no fear of retaliation. Spot check evaluations in all departments. They can make you or break you!

6. Not as nice as it used to be

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gallatin, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Gallatin, TN

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other employees have your back and are willing to help you out. Management seems to try to incentivize employees with awards for going above and beyond.

Cons

Ever-increasing nurse-to-patient ratio and endless paperwork and charting make actual patient care less than optimal. We are often understaffed considering the acuity level and numbers of patients.

Advice to Management

Consider acuity levels as well as patient census and adjust staffing accordingly. Find ways to eliminate needless charting and consolidate redundant information.

Caring people, frequent leadership changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gallatin, TN

I worked at Sumner Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

--Workers focused on giving quality care
    --Coworkers care for each other
    --Gives care in areas it's needed

Cons

--Change to for-profit has had big impact
    --Frequent changes in local, higher mgmt
    --unsettled environment
    --big area

8. A good place to work

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center

Pros

Treated like family, great benefits, great people, close to home

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth in my field

Advice to Management

Try some new methods of employee motivation

9. Sumner Regional Health Systems, Inc.

I have been working at Sumner Regional Medical Center

Pros

Sumner Regional employs some of the most wonderful, caring and kind people in Middle Tennessee. Staff genuinely care about one another, and most importantly, want to offer our patients the best care possible. Our number one asset is our people.

Cons

There has been uncertainty regarding the future of Sumner Regional for approximately two years. The stress of the uncertainty has taken its toll, and people are becoming distracted. The sooner resolution to the future path can be made, the better for all involved.

Advice to Management

Value your directors. They are the backbone of the organization. It isn't senior management, although the CNO is excellent.

RSS Feed </> Embed