Sun Chemical

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.5

Rudi Lenz

Great place to work- wonderful people

Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Northlake, IL

I worked at Sun Chemical as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work environment, talented and committed staff

Cons

Limited opportunity for permanent jobs in my field

Good People; Horrible Communication;Lack of vision

Current Employee - Master Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Master Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Sun Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people at Sun Chemical are fantastic. It is amazaing what people get done without support from management.

Cons

Upper management is completely dis-engaged from the employees. There is no sense of common goals. Most decisions appear to be reactionary, not proactive

Share the company's vision; bring back the dropped benefits and holidays.

Extremely Poor Managment Team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very nice, hard-working, unappreciated employees at Sun Chemical.

Cons

The management team doesn't know what they are doing or how to fix the problems. They have also put regulatory compliance at the lowest possible level of priority.

Listen to the employees you pay to be subject-matter experts.

Very rewarding and valuable, but it lacked appreciation from upper management.

Former Employee - Analytical Chemist Co-op in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Analytical Chemist Co-op in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sun Chemical

Pros

Those not in an upper management position are great and always helpful. Projects tend to get done quickly.

Cons

There was a lack of communication between upper management and those below. Even with the knowledge and experience of those not in the upper management positions, upper management tended to ignore many ideas and requests the rest had to offer.

Don't be so narrow minded and self-righteous. Plenty of people have great ideas which could help many areas of Sun Chemical prosper and achieve new goals. Just be willing to listen more, collaborate on new ideas and stop thinking your way or the highway. It's a company that depends on new ideas and the production of those ideas, just listen.

A dying industry

Former Employee - Materials Scientist in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Materials Scientist in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at Sun Chemical

Pros

There were some great and helpful people I worked with at Sun Chemical, mostly those that were at a similar level to me. The hours were very reasonable (37.5 hour work week) and I very rarely took any work home with me.

Cons

Sun is mainly an ink manufacturer (for industrial printers, not the HP you have at home) and since print is dying so is ink manufacturing. Most of the work going on was not a technical challenge or innovation but rather "cost-out" measures, trying to make products cheaper. They did try to get into printed electronics while I was there as an emerging field, but nobody there had the requisite experience to succeed in that field and I don't think that division has sold a single product yet. While most of the people there were very nice and quite helpful, there were some bad apples that spoiled the barrel. We had one guy who purposely mislabeled common-use materials so nobody else would know what they really were so he could have his own personal stash. This violates so many regulations I don't even know where to begin, but it also sabotages your planned experiments when inventory shows you have 10 kg of a raw material but someone has hidden it. When the plot was found out, there were no consequences for the actions.

when someone is doing something that is hurting the company and is potentially dangerous, there needs to be some actual consequences. Meanwhile, they make a big show about safety in other regards where no real danger is present. The pay is too low for the discipline and the area in order to attract and retain talented people, so those that remain at this company will always be mediocre employees talent-wise. If you want to start an initiative into a new area you need to hire a critical mass of people with expertise in the field (especially at a management level) in order to succeed.

Decent company with poor leadership

Former Employee - Distribution Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Distribution Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun Chemical

Pros

Well known in the ink industry.
    Co-workers were easy to work with.
    Decent locations and facillities

Cons

VP's have a dis-connect from whats going on in the factory floor. Interview process was done on phone and skype, I never met the VP I reported to face to face until after I started with Sun. This was a HUGE mistake on my part, the VP was the least personable executive I have ever had to deal with. His complete lack of personnel awareness, lead to poor reactions to items he disagreed with in group meeting.

The people are nice, but the job was just ok.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sun Chemical

Pros

People were friendly. Flexible hours and the pay wasn't too bad.

Cons

Incompetent management. Policies and procedures would change too frequently. Some backstabbing between employees and even management.

Just be a little more receptive to employee feedback and suggestions. The employees are the cogs of the system, not the managers hiding away in their offices.

Great Company except the Atlanta Management Nazis

Current Employee - Inplant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Inplant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sun Chemical

Pros

All other divisions are extremely fair and pro employee / family. Top of the pay scale, awesome support and training! Quick problem resolution. Midwest and Northeast are top notch Managers

Cons

Atlanta division is run by cut throats. Blatant disregard for onsite Managers putting them out there as a sacrificial lamb. NO respect, always yelling and threatening your job. Unequal disciplinary process as rules and disciplinary actions are only for some workers. Deceptive promises, NO support for technical issues just voice-mail then full retaliation for not calling.

Division managers need to be consistent. Don't let one run rampant to the point customers start screaming and swearing at the in plant staff. Listen to the people in the customers locations.

Loved What I Did, Not Who I Worked For

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Sun Chemical

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility in my schedule, especially working with me on continuing my education. Loved what I did and who I worked with. Clear performance goals for each year's review process. Ability to easily change safety and operating procedures to increase productivity and create a safer work environment.

Cons

Benefits were being decreased and removed, i.e. tuition reimbursement and retirement plan canceled. Promised promotion two years in a row and never received it. Very little encouragement of knowledge building and no exchange of information between departments to help share knowledge.

Encourage employees to advance their degrees and knowledge. Provide more opportunities to network and exchange ideas both internally and externally. Perform management evaluation from the employees perspective to know how the two interact.

Printing market

Former Employee - Sales Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Sun Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Multinational, good benefits, great technical knowledge, number one in it's market,

Cons

some benefits aren't for all employees, shrinking market