Sun Communities

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary A. Shiffman

Amazing company and a great CEO.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Casa Grande, AZ

ProsExcellent pay.Great benefits.A very down to earth CEO that really cares about the company. Lots of room to move up if you are willing to relocate.

ConsI would never denigrate this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Don't waste you time, effort, or energy HR runs the show

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people on site and the guests, money is put into cosmetic upgrades

ConsHR is king so what they at goes. Not support at property level, crazy micro management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your HR Dept under control, they Wil ruin any chance at a running a great business that you have left

Fun while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with locally. All attempting to do best they can with what they have to work with.Great working with in spite of unreasonable projections and interference from upper management.

ConsSite management micro managed by upper management to the point of interference on small issues when larger issues as far as maintenance of facilities and protection of assets of company not addressed in timely manner.Degradation of properties on going problem due to lack of control by management at upper staff level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Luck going fore ward. You may all make a lot of money but at what cost? Good people I think or people that care.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with growing pains. They will have a solid base in the near future.

Director of Guest Services (Current Employee) Casa Grande, AZ

ProsGood benefits, wages...

Consgrowing pains to get under control

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire what you can handle with your current staff.. don't staff to what you have acquired.

Tremendous potential which made it so much more disappointing

Resort Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThe culture at Sun was/is amazing and the people were fantastic. I feel the company overall does care about their employees and seemed to listen well enough when concerns were raised. There are opportunities for the right people who are willing to put the hours in, work hard, and fight for the success of the company.... if you can get through to management.

ConsListening and executing are two very different things. The company has so much potential but it's upper management that is holding it back. Boast six sigma experience among upper management, but that doesn't fix the fact that the company is not changing with market trends and technology. A big con is having management in place that aren't willing to take and act on critical advice, do what it takes to grow the business, connect with their future audience and be the best in the business.

Extensive meeting schedules, not enough investment in the right resources for key teams, lack of accountability for mid-upper management, and occasional communication break downs made some larger projects extremely frustrating. Disrespectful community managers who think the company runs around their operation made getting some tasks completed next to impossible. Upper management just couldn't seem to let the reins go and trust in their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved working for Sun but upper management needs to recognize that running a "hip" operation that gets you into Crain's means nothing to the customer. They don't care about the company. They care about the experience - but if you don't make the necessary investments to effectively market your company, and you entrust your marketing department to people who don't belong there, you will continue to stall your growth potential because your message will never reach the people who need to hear it.

Continue to listen well, then act on it more. Empower your staff to make decisions - telling them they are empowered and actually giving them the ability to do it are two different things. Say "no" less, and say "yes" more. Trust your staff, especially your marketing team, and they'll amaze you.

Advancement opportunities, rewarding environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsAlways have opportunities to grow and try new things. Company is supportive of individual accomplishments & leveraging people for their strengths.

ConsSometimes the workload can be high - with continued growth we have to always be on top of our game, and could have to work lots of extra hours if acquisitions come up, etc.

Overall Good Experience With Sun

Community Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGood salary, housing provided, Good benefits.

ConsI would never bash this company

Pool Attendant

Job Attendant (Former Employee) Buford, GA

ProsIt was a very easy job and most of the work was quite easy and fun. The manager was more than willing to help me out whenever I needed it.

ConsSometimes it is pretty hot out so if that is a problem, let them know. Also there will be people up there that will make that job harder.

Awesome culture, great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsCompetitive compensation, growing organization, wonderful people to work with, very involved senior management team with high ethical values

ConsSometimes work long hours due to company growth

If you are hard working and dependable, don't apply - they only keep and promote the mediocre to substandard employees.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsCompany is stable. Corporate office has tons of perks - on site gym, trainers, yoga instructors, "team building events" off site, break area with yogurt machine. Promote from within the company first before looking outside the company.

ConsTurnover is tremendous. They keep mediocre to substandard employees on the community level and invent reasons to terminate hard working dependable employees. Do not monitor community managers work ethic at all. Management is only focus is numbers and how to make them look good while fattening their pocketbooks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat your off site management like you do your corporate office management. Look into each community manager in your company and see what they are actually doing and not doing.

Worked for Sun Communities? Contribute to the Community!