Sun Healthcare

Sun Healthcare Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

William A. (Bill) Mathies

Engaging, fast paced environment in a challenging industry

Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsLarge publicly traded company that treats it employees like a small business would. Ability to move up in the company through many different paths. Opportunities to interface with senior management is abundant.

ConsSkilled nursing industry is facing revenue challenges. Rate cuts from Medicare and uncertainty about future state and local governments is combined with intense regulatory scrutiny.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Interesting work; terrible management and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsFun working environment
    Free gym/pool
    Interesting projects
    Good hours

ConsTerrible healthcare benefits, no 401K match, terrible management, little vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind better leaders.

Satisfactory if you already like the work you've chosen to do.

Can Not Mention (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsIf you kow what you're doing with your work and can do it well Sun is a good place to work. Depending on the location and department there can plenty of opportunities for flexibile scheduling and time off. Senior management seems alert to what is happening with the industry.

ConsTerrible middle and lower management, in fact there really is none. No feedback, direction, or guidance. No-one to talk to. No HR infrastructure. Promotions are not handled fairly and honestly. Criteria for advancement is not honestly explained, does not make sense and certainly is not related to performance. Minimal feedback on work (just more work). Annual performance revies are boilerplate. When a problem is identified management is all talk and commotion but they never actually do anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wonder if senior management is aware of how some of the VPs, middle managers and directors are running their areas?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for gaining experience, not for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsFlexible with time off. Management is very empathetic and supportive.

ConsLack of communication between upper management and staff. No room for advancement.

Horrible, very political, pay are low benefits are terrible.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat place to get experiences

ConsNot pay enough for your work

Advice to Senior Managementlook at market for pay scale and how to appreciate employees

Administration only cares for bottomline $$$ not residents and staff concerns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dover, NH

ProsNice accomadations, Clean environment, good support staff,

ConsAdmiistrator needs to get in touch with more residents and staff, what they need and want, communicate better, and become more relaxed in her thinking and actions. The success of a company starts at the top and trickles down, this is not happening here!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to fix things that are not broken. Build better trust among eployees and administration. Suspicion and mistrust is evident throughout. Take a personal closer look at what is going on throughout the facility, to see what's really going on, not just a quick spot visits, attend special events and activities Make yourself visible and kbown to residents. Perhaps rotate having a meal at their table. The residents need to know who you are and what you do!

Decent

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe pay is decent. If you like the people you work with and the residents you care for, it can be a decent place to work.

ConsThe turnover rate of new hires and the way new hires are scared away with little to no orientation. Managers and staff are unprofessional in talking about other staff members. Staff is micromanaged. Managers rarely seem to follow through on plans and initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not throw new hires on the floor without orientation on their first day. Give staff the support needed to do their jobs. Follow through on initiatives.

Manager

ProsAble to maintain a great work/life balance.
    Expectations are very reasonable given the industry.

ConsConsistent IT support is lacking.

Great collegues, terrible managers

(Current Employee)

ProsMostly honest and straightforward people trying to do what they can to help people in the nursing centers.

ConsManagers who don't care at all. Directors, VPs and above are mostly (not all) totally disconnected from what is happening in the company. Promotions and advancement are based on almost anything other than hard work and consistency of effort. Most managers have little or no management experience or interpersonal skills. Below the Director role your job is to help your manager make his or her bonus. You work and they get the bonus!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you ever reviewed your managers', directors', and VP's activities and how they manage their people? Do you care about turnover? Have you ever solicitied feedback from the lower ranks? Ever done anthing with it? Does anyone ever even look at our comments in our perfomance reviews? For management, caring is not the key in life.

Not a bad growth experience

ProsWas able to make many connections, challenge myself and help grow the organization through implementation of efficiency gains through streamlined process improvement.

ConsVery large corporate structure, red tape was a problem, too many people pointing the finger, "that's not my job" lack of focus in many aspects. Too much at the whim of the government's changing direction.

Worked for Sun Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!