Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros:
  • "The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice clean offices"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

All About Money

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsFellow employees were good co-workers.

ConsSenior management didn't seem to understand the essential work that the lower level employees were doing. New schemes were created without consulting the people who were actually doing the work. Costly mistakes were made because of this blind spot.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is really going on in the office, out on the floor, not in your ivory towers.

Great place if you're seeking work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsVery easy to maintain a work-life balance.
    Fair salary with decent benefits.

ConsVery difficult to get recognized for additional effort if you are not in the right network.
    Company seems to develop a new strategic direction every 18-24 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the younger talent at the organization and empower them to make tough decisions.

Pays the bills if you don't mind being zombified

Senior Software Developer/Analyst (Current Employee)
    Wellesley Hills, MA

ProsWork-life balance? 70% of the development and BSA staff are doing nothing most of the time while Project Management and SVPs bicker and play politics. Salaries are competitive and there is opportunity for advancement if you are good at politics (not your job). The problem with work/life balance here is a lack of challenging work, actually. On-campus gym was a big plus for me.

ConsCulture is absolutely soul-destroying if you care about your work in any way.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Coordinator

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work environment. Great employees to work with. Everyone worked very well together to get the job done at the end of the day. Created lasting friendships within the industry at this job.

ConsSince I worked in the field it was impossible to move up within the company. It was ultimately the reason I left. Annual raises were only the cost of living. The job itself often went above the actual job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe field has some great employees which I know are being cut and positions are being moved to the Home Office. I don't agree with this idea and hope it works out.

I worked here as a software developer on a short term contract

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsThe work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable. Development teams don't face some of the stress that I've seen at other companies, because A) major decisions are made by people who are experienced in the field and don't impose unrealistic deadlines on unrealistic requirements, B) in the same vein, tasks are delegated equally and efficiently, C) the technology infrastructure is well-built

ConsNot much to say here since my experience was short term and with one team out of who knows how many. Many team members are offshore, so the scheduling can be kind of a pain. But the effort is made on everybody's part to be punctual for teleconferences and to stay on the same page.

Over promised, under delivered

Group Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsReorganizing for the better, but unrealistic about damage past 5 years of poor service and uncompetitive pricing has done in certain markets

ConsInternally a mess. Can't deliver strong service or competitive pricing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive local regions and office some autonomy in local markets. Current comp/incentive plan has take aways that reps have no control due to uncompetitive pricing and no point of sale flexibility.

Good Place to Work

ProsGreat people as coworkers and friends. The benefits are good and the work is challenging. Campus is clean although work spaces need updating.

ConsNo such thing as promotions. If you want to move to the next level you must apply for the job. Very fast paced environment where most people are doing two jobs and can't find time for lunch. Recognition is sporadic and often only the high ranking employees get recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at recognizing employees and promote from within.

A great company to work for...until they exit the business

Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat co workers, fair pay. A good place to start at the bottom and grow. Treated people very fairly when they laid off 800 people.

ConsManagement was out of touch with upper management (Toronto). There was little to no opportunity to advance for some one mid career.

Incompetence, inefficient management, in a Mad Men-like environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsHonestly, I can't think of any reason I'd ever suggest an intelligent person to go work there.

ConsI was at Sun Life on a short contract, and was very disappointed with my experience. I was worked to the bone, never allowed my legal breaks and was questioned when I left to take even a half-hour lunch. My experience and expertise was constantly questioned, and I felt like asking why they even hired me.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Canada: come to the US. Evaluate your management - from AVP's to general managers. You will find major problems. Moral is very low; something needs to be done.

Lame

ProsI would say that there's a lot of excitement in the beginning. Lots of training and such. However one quickly realizes that the company is a horrible place to work.

ConsFrequent layoffs and no room for growth. Employees are treated like cattle, not people. Not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life Videos

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All 266 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.