Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice clean offices"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Sensible business decisions, great people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Drink the Kool Aid or get out

I worked at Sun Life

ProsDecent office location. Accommodating schedules. Great paid training course. Cafeteria in the building. Comfortable desks.

Cons80% of inbound calls were from the moron's who just pressed 0 to speak to an operator. The problem is that operator duties were never mentioned in the job description. Spent most of your day warm transferring people through the puzzle that was the internal directory. Complete hen-house at mid-management.

ok

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, nice location, spacious office

Conslikely no room for growth if you are starting off in a satellite office. You would want to move to head office for growth.
They work you very hard. Raises are less than inflation yr after yr.
It is hard to have your manager in another office than you, they do not realize how busy you really are.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more admin staff in your satellite office's!

Sun Life doesn't care about their customers or their employees.

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee)
Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMonday to Friday 8 hours a day
No weekends or evenings

ConsSun Life has 4 metrics for performance for customer service, but the management of the contact center focus on only one and it's speak to the company's true focus:

Average call handle time - The expected handle time is 6 - 7 minutes. Each call, on average, includes a 30 seconds intro, 1:30 of hold time, 30 second closing and 1:30 of after call work (which is also included in the average call handling time). The management say it is to ensure that we don't waste the customers time, but you are left with 2 - 3 minutes to handle some pretty emotionally and financially sensitive questions affecting the callers daily life.

This metrics alone suggests that they are more concerned with getting customers off the phone quickly than actually helping them. Until they actually realize that it is easier to retain an existing customer than get a new one Sun Life is in trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees help and retain the customers you are so spending so much money to get. If you did this you would have people banging down your door to sign up with you. By focusing on making it easy for customer to do business with you not renewing wouldn't be an option.

Financial Advisor

I worked at Sun Life

ProsIndependent, flexible hours, networking opportunities.
If you are into selling and marketing with interest in finance, than this job is probably suitable for you.

ConsCould be frustrating, need to build your own customer base, commission based salary.
You don't have an stable salary, some months you can make more and at other times you may found yourself without compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplain a bit more the prospect of success in this field.
Also, more training from management is well needed including brainstorming of work duties.

Financial advisor

ProsFlexible hours
has to have a human skills and sales skills
you are the business no boss to you

Consflexible salaries
no fixed income
only 5% will be survived in this field.

Financial Advisor

I have been working at Sun Life

ProsWork your own hours, build your business your way, good company branding

ConsHigh turn around rate, 100% commission, clawbacks if policies are declined after months of underwriting, your friends and family often distance themselves from you in case you try to sell them something, many people leave the company owing them money from office rentals, clawbacks, and the outrageously expensive benefits package.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP focussing on campaign incentives! If you focus on the advisors that you hired and helping them to grow in an honest, educated, and supported manner, they would stick around longer and perform better, making your job easier.

Learnt a lot during the first year. Bad people management and bullying techniques

I worked at Sun Life

ProsI loved my job, good learning curve.

ConsBad human resources, bad management and leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and honest with employees.

Stressful work environment based excessively on weekly performances

Disabilities Case Manager (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary and insurance coverage.

ConsCompetitive environment with weekly statistics on your performances;
Strongly limits a human client approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStressful work environment and lots of burnout leaves!!

Just a job

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStability is one of the few pros. It's extremely flexible for people who are mainly family driven. More vacation than some companies.

ConsThere are minimal growth opportunity for the ambitious. The compensation is terrible, especially for entry level positions. There are very few employees under 40.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing your talent. Recognize that they exist and help them grow to their full potential.

Contract job, not the place you think it is.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for less than a year

ProsThe other employees are a great bunch of people.

ConsMiddle and upper management need to stop with the never ending meetings.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life Videos

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All 252 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.