Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros
  • The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable(in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice clean offices(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management(in 13 reviews)

• once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate(in 5 reviews)

Sun Life

Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat corporate communication. Terrific benefits. Excellent at seeking employee engagement. Nice rewards and employee recognition programs. Great perks; i.e., gym membership assistance, Charitable matching grant program, tuition assistance, EAP and rewards for participation in wellness programs. Love the Global Learning Center course availability.

ConsUsual challenge of working for huge corporation. US operations in Eastern Time Zone and my business unit was in Pacific Time Zone. Bonus structure has complicated formula. Not as easy to grow in career as I'd like. Frequent restructuring of sales and distribution units.

I really enjoyed the people I work with and the Sun Life culture.

ProsLeadership had an open door policy and was easy to access. I had the opportunity to learn many new things and learned how to navigate around a large organization to get things done.

ConsMy challenge was when our leader changed everything changed. The whole team was scared and worked hard out of fear. This was not a positive environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to address why there is high turn over in a department and figure out the truth. If someone is not suited for a role every effort should be made to find that person a role within the organization.

A company who practices the "work - life" balance structure

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Manila, Manila (Philippines)

ProsIt is a very stable company that has been regarded globally as one of the MOST SUSTAINABLE COMPANIES IN THE WORLD. Compensation package is very competitive and can even exceed your expectations that is why they have a very low turn-over rate.

ConsIf you work as a Financial Advisor in the company, your income will be dependent only on your sales production which is through commissions. But income based on commission can be unlimited depending on the work load you are exerting.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that they also should come up with a committee or a department who handles the issues and concerns of the Financial Advisors with their direct Field Unit Managers in order to have a check and balance in implementing policies on promotions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AWESOME COMPANY

Financial Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood work life balance, great pay and benefits(Vacation, 401k etc)

ConsNeeds focus on training employees. Company is run by old school methodologies and ideologies .

Advice to Senior ManagementHIre more employees from different industries so that the company gets a new perspective

Phenomenal

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsGreat ambience, excellent management, perfect place to work for.

ConsNothing at all, everything was perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

I have recently been hired at the Waterloo office and cannot begin express how impressed I am!

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros- Excellent work environment
    - Promote growth and new learning
    - Fair salary
    - AMAZING benefits
    - Great time off policy
    - Ability to work from home (bad weather, appointments, etc)
    - Very friendly people
    - Cafeteria, Tim Hortons, Starbucks within building

Cons- I have yet to experience anything negative other than the far away parking, new hires are placed on a waiting list for anywhere up to two years to pay one site.

Sun Life is a great employer with an excellent work atmosphere and plenty of interesting job opportunities.

Software Delivery Packager (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsAs mentioned the atmosphere is great, quite positive. I met some wonderful colleagues with whom I am still in touch - there was even one time I was misdirected while looking for someone, and not only did someone nearby direct me to the correct location, they took me straight there, and we had a lovely conversation on the way.

ConsI was working low-down in the IT department, which (as might be expected for a financial/insurance company) was not particularly invigorating; I saw plenty of what seemed to be pure bureaucracy, which is also to be expected for a large and long-lived company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got some great things happening in Waterloo - keep it up!

good company

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Wellesley, MA

Prosbene's, time off, pay, friendly, subsidies, parking

Conssome buildings brand new some still need to be remodeled.

Advice to Senior Managementgrow the company

Great benefits

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, very respectful environment

Consdisconnect between executive management and staff

Rewarding and always opportunity to learn

Account Representative (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThere is lot of opportunity for learning & to move up within the company.

ConsDifficult to provide a con, as even when a situation is not great HR at Sun Life is amazingly supportive

Advice to Senior ManagementListening to employees and recognition for their work is key to earning the respect & trust from your employees

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!