Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros:
  • "The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice clean offices"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Parent org with poor policies and procedures at ISC

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsOverall the org offers opportunities until band 6... fairly straightforward work where an average person should be able to do work and be successful.
    Senior management has built a listening organization... which is good.

ConsMost benefits are for leadership team. LT can get away from anything very easily. Managers would pick and choose the feedback and manipulate them to their advantage.
    Travel policies are not in line with global benchmarks. Parent company shows interest to get work done, but doesn't bother much about the day to day nuances and execution... they are usually impressed well by the leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have consistency in reviews and processes across organization at India.

Sun Life

Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsGreat corporate communication. Terrific benefits. Excellent at seeking employee engagement. Nice rewards and employee recognition programs. Great perks; i.e., gym membership assistance, Charitable matching grant program, tuition assistance, EAP and rewards for participation in wellness programs. Love the Global Learning Center course availability.

ConsUsual challenge of working for huge corporation. US operations in Eastern Time Zone and my business unit was in Pacific Time Zone. Bonus structure has complicated formula. Not as easy to grow in career as I'd like. Frequent restructuring of sales and distribution units.

Great work environment despite a terrible manager

Wellesley, MA

ProsGood work-life balance and casual culture

ConsPersonally unhappy with manager, no complaints otherwise

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No integrity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon-management employees are usually great hardworking people. The customers are often nicer than the company deserves.

ConsEmbarrassing to have been associated with this company, it's management culture is that disgusting brew you get when you combine gross incompetence with a heavy dose of tyranny

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you're cultivating a management culture that is based in dysfunctionality and dishonesty, remember that however you treat your employees is how you treat your customers. Dysfunctional and dishonest is what you want to be known for? Strip away your middle management teams layer by layer ---you have to many layers anyways----and start again. Don't let existing managers choose new ones. They only hire their friends, and they're only friends with people who want things to continue the way they have been.

Advisors' Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was always a good working environment.

ConsA lot of very hard work to keep pace.

Not a bad job to get your feet wet.

Revision Specialist (Current Employee)
    Windsor, CT

ProsFlexibility and work environment are extremely positive. Entry level salaries are decent.

ConsExtremely hard to grow in the company. Better to get in and get experience and then move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to encourage good employees to stay or you're going to lose the talent.

Absolutely the most stressful and tedious job I've ever had.

Call Center (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGood pay, good benefits. I'm talking about the call center here. Receiving calls and such.

ConsWhere to begin Overealistic expectations, apathetic managers, stressful environment, felt like slavery all over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve your Employee Satisfaction Department.

Politics of a regime change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to work from home. Work-life balance is excellent. Substantial vacation time. Good exit packages when layoffs occur. If you're complacent you can stay here for a long time.

ConsYearly layoffs and they often occur around the holidays. They've been eliminating older employees for years now. If you're over 50 you're on the chopping block.

Office culture in Canada is night and day compared to US. Folks in CA like their job and they're proud of the company. People in the US show up for a pay check and often wonder if they're part of the next round of layoffs.

Office politics is brutal. Lots of large personalities here with no room for growth making pretend that this is corporate America. Several managers/Dir/AVP's are brutal to work for. Clearly they are "lifers" and not happy about it and feel the need to treat employees very poorly.

Regime changes, SLF loves to bring in flunkies from other organizations such as Bank of Montreal or Lincoln Financial. They should try to minimize the potential impact and only bring on one employee from another firm, not the entire "click."

Advice to Senior ManagementStart running the company as one, not separate entities.

Don't ever buy a stadium and then lay off 3500 employees the next day.

Stop laying off US employees annually. Stop layoffs at Christmas.

Decent company, no room for growth

Operations Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Wellesley, MA

ProsSalary is competitive
    Great co-workers
    Convenient location
    Free parking
    Great benefits
    Ample vacation time

ConsJob security is shaky at best lately
    Very little room to advance at the company
    Culture has taken a down turn in recent years

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employees feel like you want them there

The company is great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe working environment is beautiful.

ConsA lot of documents needs to be done, sometimes it is a bit time-consuming.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life Videos

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All 266 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.