Sun Life

Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor
Dean Connor

Pros
  • Variety of experience; good benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Flexibility and work environment are extremely positive (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Not many opportunities for advancement, Salary increases very minimal, too many senior managers (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor morale and uncertainty of the future plague workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work/life balance where people felt comfortable leaving early or coming in late if they needed to attend to personal business. Free parking and self-contained campus.

Cons

Awful morale. They tend to keep people around who are terrible employees because they are afraid of getting rid of them. In all my years, I have never seen an environment where people could basically get away with anything and not have consequences. Everyone walks around expecting the place to be closed at any time. Horrible brand recognition where "no one still knows your name." No opportunity at all for advancement.

Corporate structure and environment in Canada is completely different from US. Need to work on US workplace and morale, if you want to continue operating in the US.

A horribly racist experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very difficult to see pros when at every turn you are hounded and put down by lazy underachieved people who happen to be the right color of skin. I guess if you and your significant other want to get pregnant and have a football team, you will fit right in with this crowd.....30 mins spent talking about people's stupid families on conference calls!!!

Cons

Low pay - left the company, moved out west and made my former yearly salary in 4.5 months!

"Managers" who turn the company into their personal piggy bank and allow favorite employees to be paid for overtime they clearly have not worked. Wink wink nudge nudge and all under the table. (Apparently what happens in the basement of the King building doesn't need to live up the code of business conduct)

Overtly racist environment - may as well be burning crosses at the desks of minorities because of all the bullying is tantamount to that.

No respect for the code of business conduct.

Favoritism, not ideas run the company.

Too many people with far too little education allowed in- this is not a professional environment. Then again, you cannot hold on to real professionals with what they pay people!

You shouldn't bother writing a code of business conduct if you management doesn't live up to it. When someone reports an act of theft from the business and director level leadership supports management/tl to bully into silence the person who took the code of conduct seriously, it makes me wonder what else is wrong in this company. I will never buy your products or let you make money off me. I tell all my family and friends - IF ONLY WHITE PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO GET AHEAD, ONLY SELL YOUR PRODUCTS TO WHITE PEOPLE!!!!!

It'll eat your soul

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It offers a competitive salary. Working Monday to Friday, no later than 8 pm. And fun coworkers which can make it a good time between calls.

Cons

Sun life has unrealistic expectations of what should occur during a call and how long it should take.

One of their primary focuses is average call handle time. They expect the average call to take 5 minutes. During these 5 minutes, you must properly authenticate the caller, resolve the reason of their call and any future questions so you have a first call resolution, then find a way to shoe horn in a sale. Coverage for massage? How about a financial review.

The internal quality review seems to change what they view on a weekly basis, making it difficult to receive the expected 100%.

You are strongly graded on external quality reviews and forced to explain how the call could have been improved even if your manager admits there was nothing you could have done and the caller was upset by a previous call. However you still should have magically improved their previous experience

Overtime is frequently requested and often added to your schedule without your consent. When speaking to managers, they will inform you that it is mandatory however when speaking to HR they will tell you it's not. No matter who you speak to, it will be added at a moment's notice and required to be worked. Even changing your schedule when you aren't there to view the update.

The call centre has an extremely high turnover. Someone may move into the desk next to you and be gone the next month, due to quitting or being let go.

The management staff does not promote any sort of confidence. They are promoted based on friendships and statistics, not for their managerial abilities. Often they will be unable to assist you with any issues relating to your job. However, they will not hesitate to reprimand you or threaten you with a performance improvement plan, should you have any concerns. Management is cold, distant and unapproachable. Their lack of experience and poor job fit makes it an unbearable place to work.

Using the backs of employees as your foundation to the steps ascending to the top do the business world only leads to broken backs and demoralized staff. Treat your employees with respect and promote those who will do well in their jobs but not those who have done well in the past. Focus on keeping your employees happy, and not just profitable, your customers can tell when a disheartened employee is handling their situation.

The company is going down. Do no work for it

Former Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Actuarial Analyst in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, has complementary parking.

Cons

Terrible management. Lots of micro-managers. They don't have a fair/effective performance evaluation system. A lot of office politics going on and there's no good working ethic. The company sold out most of its major business and outsourced lots of functional areas. Therefore, it has frequent lay-offs.

You better be a robot

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Decent pay,
    Good hours
    No weekend or overnight shifts.

Cons

Unreasonable expectations
    No room for growth.
    High competition

Great place if you like factory work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice cubicle, temperature controlled environment, near bus lines, easy to get to.

Cons

The bigger the company got the more impersonal it got. It became all about the numbers, work harder with less time, and less acknowledgement for your efforts. The harder you worked the more they expected. Social committees and events became less and less. Interactions between co-workers was discouraged. Advancement opportunities were based on friendships rather than capability, or skills.

None...they wont listen anyway.

You are better off working elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time

Pros

Good brand awareness as the company advertises a lot on TV.

Cons

Compensation to advisors is very poor and decreases each year so that in 5 years time, the advisor gets paid less than half the commission he would make outside. In addition, unlike the industry norm where there is a partial charge-back to the advisor if the policy lapses in the first 2 years, here there is a lifetime chargeback on the Growth Commission, which is one of the main components of commission.

To retain good advisors, you need to increase their compensation, even if it means scrapping the Commissions on Release.

Over promised, under delivered

Current Employee - Group Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Group Sales Representative

I have been working at Sun Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reorganizing for the better, but unrealistic about damage past 5 years of poor service and uncompetitive pricing has done in certain markets

Cons

Internally a mess. Can't deliver strong service or competitive pricing.

Give local regions and office some autonomy in local markets. Current comp/incentive plan has take aways that reps have no control due to uncompetitive pricing and no point of sale flexibility.

Incompetence, inefficient management, in a Mad Men-like environment

I worked at Sun Life as a contractor

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any reason I'd ever suggest an intelligent person to go work there.

Cons

I was at Sun Life on a short contract, and was very disappointed with my experience. I was worked to the bone, never allowed my legal breaks and was questioned when I left to take even a half-hour lunch. My experience and expertise was constantly questioned, and I felt like asking why they even hired me.

Advice to Canada: come to the US. Evaluate your management - from AVP's to general managers. You will find major problems. Moral is very low; something needs to be done.

Financial Advisor Sun Life Financial

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Unlimited potential, nothing else was good

Cons

It is a scam, they find every way to suck the money they give you right back