Sun Life

Updated November 17, 2014
3.3

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor
Dean Connor

Pros
  • Variety of experience; good benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Flexibility and work environment are extremely positive (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Not many opportunities for advancement, Salary increases very minimal, too many senior managers (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Guys becareful in case you want to join Sun life India Service Center

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Not applicable to this company

Cons

If you are willing to join the Sun Life India Service Center in Gurgaon, then please take a look at following facts and then decide if you still want to join.

In early 2012, Sun Life USA decided to shut down few lines of business. Company annouced 800 job cuts at its US center. Almost a third of total workforce.

Indian center head gives assurance to the impacted IT resources totalling 160 that no one will be fired and gives assurance of job security.

Senior Managers and senior people start getting migrated to other projects. Management does not even tell other people on what basis the migration has started. Management still gives assurance of 100% migration.

Resumes of all other resources sought by respective leaders. People think that they will ge given relevant roles as per their skills but poor resources were not aware that what going on in management mind.

When after some month, people don't get any information from their managers and bosses, people start getting nervous and start quitting. Management again comes and gives false assurance to stay back. People start believing management.

After 6 month, one day a director speaks with the team who got migrated and tells them about possible layoff's. The other director comes out and assure others that there is no such thing and don't worry.

1 week after this, on a friday you may call its black friday of Sun Life India Center, management shifts a team of 32 people to seperate location where firing takes place. Thats whopping 11% of Indian center <300 IT resources.

Can you believe a 5 year old company doing such thing to its IT resources. Would you still like to join this company where the management itself can't be trusted leave apart the bosses who are of the same category.

Ask a lot of questions during your interview.....then think twice before accepting an offer

Former Employee - Programme Director in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Programme Director in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are adequate. Reimbursement for benefits is quick

Cons

Load of politics; senior management who doesn't have a clue; cliques; perpetual reorgs. Some senior managers have no clue what is going on in their depts. Budgets are poorly managed. There are lots of duplicate roles. My job did not have a description and I had to do my own performance review. There was no on boarding - just general HR stuff about how great things are. IT leaders are just old programmers and database guys who've done their time, they are very poor managers and their egos are immense.

The VP that I worked for had not clue on how to provide feedback. Lots of lip service and dictated "get to know and be friendly" with the staff sessions which are filled with propaganda. I was not advised that I would be required to travel to Kitchener office during the interview and then a few weeks into it was told it was a requirement.

Maybe you should stop your little junkets to Asia under the guise of "planning" and put money into actually fixing IT and getting to know the front-line people that work 24/7 so that you can get your big bonuses.

Financial Advisors experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sun Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

none unless you enjoy working alone on in a sales-is-everything environment

Cons

is a pure sales role, do not be fooled by its vague relations to financial planning or investments, it is glorified retail sales

advisors who survive more than 2 years are few and far between.

there is a reason people do not respect insurance people, and while insurance is your business, your tactics do not bring confidence to the marketplace.

Leaders are a Joke, president failed this company along with Lincoln. Will never keep talented employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time

Pros

Its just a job if you work here.

Great work life balance because the company does promote laziness, complacency, and lack of responsibility to managements expense accounts.

Cons

Complacent management

Crap pay

No upper movement nor is there dedication to internal employees to move around in the company

Very "old" crowd of useless managers with terrible performance track record. Its like a collusion of terrible, lazy, and old management keeping each other employed while losing real talent to much more competitive and better companies

Terrible decision making within upper and lower management.

Your kidding yourselves to think you will continue to operate in the near to long term future with your current "regime". Will enjoy seeing how you fair in the real world once you lose your jobs. From the looks of LinkedIn, seems like that's been a complete fail as well.

Management team speaks one thing and does another

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The individuals in the corporate office were very supportive and friendly.

Cons

The field reps had some serious ethical issues.

Serious road blocks exist keeping SLF-EBG from being successful

Disappointing. Effort was pointless as people's paths were predetermined.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Amiable coworkers. Clean bathrooms.

Cons

Place is run like a sorority with rampant favoritism. Senior management has allowed this to carry on for years on end. Whether you languished or succeeded was, again, predetermined. Opportunities to advance were cut off at the pass, literally. So we can add unethical to the list as well.

Get real and break up the status quo.

3 year downhill stumble that ends in 800 layoffs

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Fair benefits though they got cut back over the years. Good work life balance for most

Cons

Bad career development. Spent way too much on sales and sponsorships. HR department goes by the book when it benefits them but makes excuses when it doesn't. Badly run and now employees not involved in the decisions are paying for it. Employees that survive the layoff, including the new college leadership people, should take note and get out quick as it will get worse.

Accept the blame for your bad decisions, get rid of senior managers who killed the business, and use the money saved to give more to the people you are throwing out on the street, they deserve it more

Not the place it used to be

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The work/life balance and benefits were good. There was a pension plan and generous 401K, plenty of vacation time and flexible work schedules, nice coworkers

Cons

No career progression, rampant favoritism where promotions and raises are only given to those put on the fast track and not based on actual skills, women are definitely treated differently here, unprofessional work environment. When I started a few years ago, this was a fun and positive place to be. Since the senior management changed and they hired the Lincoln people, things have gone downhill fast. This is not a place to work if you are looking for career development since there is no training given or opportunities like those given to those in the RDLP program for recent college graduates. It's no wonder most of my coworkers are looking for new jobs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked, and miserable.

Take a good look at the turnover and staffing levels. Sometime clearly needs to change and nothing has been done despite the satisfaction surveys. And I question the results, since you claim employees feel engaged. I'm sorry but I don't see anyone engages except those moved to better positions.

Very misleading career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Flexible Schedule.
    Good entry level if you are new to the industry.

Cons

It's really interesting to see the views from the other side of the table. I work for Sunlife on the sales force team both as a financial advisor and before that as a Sales Manager. This company, although they try to appear as they are ethical, they are a wolf in sheep's clothing. They will lie about anything in order to decieve people into joing their offices. I have stayed quiet all too long and really need to get this off my chest. They are one of the cheapest companies I have ever experienced and even though they claim to pay high commissions, they only pay on their system that keeps an advisor in the highest productivity while drawing away from any type of social and family life in order to maintain this productivity. They even train you to incorporate business talk into all of you social networks. I don't think they understand that sometimes you want to talk to your friends over drinks without bringing up sunlife! Another reason why this company is so unethical is that they make the advisor pay rent for the office, internet use, telephone use, and for any type of office supply. They even make you pay for your benefits. How sick is this! That a group coverage provider makes their own advisor pay for a group plan that you can not opt out off which generally cost 400+ depending whether your single or with a family. The last straw for myself was the fact that I had to pay $200 in order to go to the company christmas party. What kind of legit organization makes you pay for a company christmas party! I don't even celebrate christmas! When I first joined Sunlife, they keep reminding you that the high turnover rate is because people are lazy and do not have good work ethic, however now I know why individuals tend to leave. You can only allow yourself to get screwed for so long. I have done extremely well when I first started as a Advisor, attending their conventions, making all the campaigns, but now I look back and realize how much money I have hemerged out into this business in terms of prospecting and business expenses. I would have done things very differently many years ago and would have never joined this immoral, unethical company who lies, cheats, and steals from the people who place faith in them. For anyone looking at a career with Sunlife as an Advisor and you happen to be reading this, please don't believe everything they say, they might look the part however their whole goal and pay structure is to bring you in and make you sell insurance. Although they say they are holistic, the pay structure is concentrated on insurance, management gets paid very little on investement, mainly on insurance and mainly on advisor less than 2 years in the business. If you have a university degree, don't waste it here. They reward the quantity unethical salesman, not the quality ethical financail advisor. I will be leaving Sun Life, and this is one experience I would love to forgot.

There is no such thing as Management, mainly they are all Recruiters!!!
    Sunlife has destroyed a once good organization

Cilque Here

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Better-than-average benefits. Dental is the best around. Vision is also a terrific plus.

Cons

If you want to re-visit high school and its cliquiness, apply to SunLife. This is a highly political environment so advancement has nothing to do with skills, performance, or ability. Information is closely held even between co-workers. There is a tremendous atmosphere of CYA and sabotage. Departments do not work well together. Every trick in the book is used to withhold fair compensation.

You need to do a 180 degree turn in how things are run. This company needs completely new blood with fresh perspective and a commitment to the company's original values to bring it back to its former glory.