Sun Life Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Leaders are a Joke, president failed this company along with Lincoln. Will never keep talented employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life full-time

Pros

Its just a job if you work here.

Great work life balance because the company does promote laziness, complacency, and lack of responsibility to managements expense accounts.

Cons

Complacent management

Crap pay

No upper movement nor is there dedication to internal employees to move around in the company

Very "old" crowd of useless managers with terrible performance track record. Its like a collusion of terrible, lazy, and old management keeping each other employed while losing real talent to much more competitive and better companies

Terrible decision making within upper and lower management.

Advice to Management

Your kidding yourselves to think you will continue to operate in the near to long term future with your current "regime". Will enjoy seeing how you fair in the real world once you lose your jobs. From the looks of LinkedIn, seems like that's been a complete fail as well.

2. Management team speaks one thing and does another

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The individuals in the corporate office were very supportive and friendly.

Cons

The field reps had some serious ethical issues.

Advice to Management

Serious road blocks exist keeping SLF-EBG from being successful

Disappointing. Effort was pointless as people's paths were predetermined.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Amiable coworkers. Clean bathrooms.

Cons

Place is run like a sorority with rampant favoritism. Senior management has allowed this to carry on for years on end. Whether you languished or succeeded was, again, predetermined. Opportunities to advance were cut off at the pass, literally. So we can add unethical to the list as well.

Advice to Management

Get real and break up the status quo.

3 year downhill stumble that ends in 800 layoffs

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Fair benefits though they got cut back over the years. Good work life balance for most

Cons

Bad career development. Spent way too much on sales and sponsorships. HR department goes by the book when it benefits them but makes excuses when it doesn't. Badly run and now employees not involved in the decisions are paying for it. Employees that survive the layoff, including the new college leadership people, should take note and get out quick as it will get worse.

Advice to Management

Accept the blame for your bad decisions, get rid of senior managers who killed the business, and use the money saved to give more to the people you are throwing out on the street, they deserve it more

6. Not the place it used to be

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The work/life balance and benefits were good. There was a pension plan and generous 401K, plenty of vacation time and flexible work schedules, nice coworkers

Cons

No career progression, rampant favoritism where promotions and raises are only given to those put on the fast track and not based on actual skills, women are definitely treated differently here, unprofessional work environment. When I started a few years ago, this was a fun and positive place to be. Since the senior management changed and they hired the Lincoln people, things have gone downhill fast. This is not a place to work if you are looking for career development since there is no training given or opportunities like those given to those in the RDLP program for recent college graduates. It's no wonder most of my coworkers are looking for new jobs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked, and miserable.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at the turnover and staffing levels. Sometime clearly needs to change and nothing has been done despite the satisfaction surveys. And I question the results, since you claim employees feel engaged. I'm sorry but I don't see anyone engages except those moved to better positions.

Very misleading career

Current Employee - Financial Advisor
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Flexible Schedule.
    Good entry level if you are new to the industry.

Cons

It's really interesting to see the views from the other side of the table. I work for Sunlife on the sales force team both as a financial advisor and before that as a Sales Manager. This company, although they try to appear as they are ethical, they are a wolf in sheep's clothing. They will lie about anything in order to decieve people into joing their offices. I have stayed quiet all too long and really need to get this off my chest. They are one of the cheapest companies I have ever experienced and even though they claim to pay high commissions, they only pay on their system that keeps an advisor in the highest productivity while drawing away from any type of social and family life in order to maintain this productivity. They even train you to incorporate business talk into all of you social networks. I don't think they understand that sometimes you want to talk to your friends over drinks without bringing up sunlife! Another reason why this company is so unethical is that they make the advisor pay rent for the office, internet use, telephone use, and for any type of office supply. They even make you pay for your benefits. How sick is this! That a group coverage provider makes their own advisor pay for a group plan that you can not opt out off which generally cost 400+ depending whether your single or with a family. The last straw for myself was the fact that I had to pay $200 in order to go to the company christmas party. What kind of legit organization makes you pay for a company christmas party! I don't even celebrate christmas! When I first joined Sunlife, they keep reminding you that the high turnover rate is because people are lazy and do not have good work ethic, however now I know why individuals tend to leave. You can only allow yourself to get screwed for so long. I have done extremely well when I first started as a Advisor, attending their conventions, making all the campaigns, but now I look back and realize how much money I have hemerged out into this business in terms of prospecting and business expenses. I would have done things very differently many years ago and would have never joined this immoral, unethical company who lies, cheats, and steals from the people who place faith in them. For anyone looking at a career with Sunlife as an Advisor and you happen to be reading this, please don't believe everything they say, they might look the part however their whole goal and pay structure is to bring you in and make you sell insurance. Although they say they are holistic, the pay structure is concentrated on insurance, management gets paid very little on investement, mainly on insurance and mainly on advisor less than 2 years in the business. If you have a university degree, don't waste it here. They reward the quantity unethical salesman, not the quality ethical financail advisor. I will be leaving Sun Life, and this is one experience I would love to forgot.

Advice to Management

There is no such thing as Management, mainly they are all Recruiters!!!
    Sunlife has destroyed a once good organization

Cilque Here

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Better-than-average benefits. Dental is the best around. Vision is also a terrific plus.

Cons

If you want to re-visit high school and its cliquiness, apply to SunLife. This is a highly political environment so advancement has nothing to do with skills, performance, or ability. Information is closely held even between co-workers. There is a tremendous atmosphere of CYA and sabotage. Departments do not work well together. Every trick in the book is used to withhold fair compensation.

Advice to Management

You need to do a 180 degree turn in how things are run. This company needs completely new blood with fresh perspective and a commitment to the company's original values to bring it back to its former glory.

if you work in Sun Life (USA), you will know

Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Wellesley Hills, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Wellesley Hills, MA

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

nice location; plenty of parking;

Cons

not a fair working environment; communications are difficult and big problem; heavy politics; shadow manuvers toward employees (drones, as you may feel).

Started Great, Then Tanked When Lincoln People Came In

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

Benefits are OK. Nothing great.

Cons

Do NOT work in the U.S. division!!!! I worked here for five years and the first three were great. Then in 2008 they hired a bunch of Lincoln Financial executives to run the U.S. They have run it into the ground. All they have done is close down businesses and laid off hundreds of people who were there for over 10 years. And when they laid off top executives, almost all were replaced by Lincoln executives who everyone hates. Everyone I know who is still there is miserable, hate their managers, underpaid, overworked and looking for a job. They layoffs have continued and some people were let go right before Christmas, with more on the way. Worst of all, management knows everyone is miserable and is doesn't care. Don't even think about working here.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like dirt.

11. Stay Away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley Hills, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley Hills, MA

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Benefits and Paid Time Off

Cons

Everything else

All employees are overworked because they can't approve any new hires because the company is losing $$$$

Advice to Management

Help develop talent to keep at company, don't disregard them.

RSS Feed </> Embed