Sun Microsystems

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Sun Microsystems CEO (Oracle) Lawrence J. Ellison

Lawrence J. Ellison

66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Get some real marketing expertise, please.

Marketing Communications (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsWork/life balance is great, as well as the compensation and flexibility.

ConsThere is an inability to really make a difference and be heard, due to the size and remote worker scenario.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the company a big haircut at the top and get rid of the fatness of middle management. Too many engineers and non-business educated people trying to run the business like it's a game or something. Get some real marketing expertise, please.

Great work culture. Upper management can't get it's act together

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsExcellent place to work in terms of work life balance. Great great culture and awesome products. Very engineering focused company with a decent amount of perks.

ConsCan't seem to sell anything it creates or make good of any aquisitions it does :( As a result, the company hasn't been able to turnaround which then means that the vertical growth opportunities have been non existant at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease replace the executive leadership team as well as the board of directors who actually are more results oriented.

Flexible company, but no job security

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsGood benefits, competitive pay, and great work life balance. Some really great people at Sun.

ConsThe company has been struggling for some time so beware if you are looking for job security. Layoffs come every 6 months and reorganizations are almost just as often.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen communication with employees. Figure out how deep you need to cut, regain confidence of employees and customers, look at overall company strategy , and turn the company around to profitability.

Sun Micro: caveat emptor

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsIf you're in the right division/department, you can get lots of opportunity for exposure to cool technology. Most of the people who work there are great - very personable, relaxed but not slackers. There are some extremely bright people at Sun, and some of them actually know how to communicate their knowledge.

ConsThough marketing itself as a meritocracy, this was not my experience. Though marketing itself as supportive of telecommuting, there was a blatant disregard of this policy at the discretion of VPs and managers - entire divisions were at one point prohibited from WFH - and this is direct contrast to the face put on by Sun to the community. That's called hypocrisy, not walking your talk, you name it. Sun is also a company in decline; the morale there, when I left, was extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone who knows how to run a business. Start walking your talk regarding treatment of your employees.

Beware. Its a bad decision to choose to work at Sun Broomfield.

Member of Technical Staff II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsBrand name that you get from working there. Certifications.

ConsNo actual work done. Too much politics. Bad products. No personal growth. Lay offs every quarter. People are trying to save their jobs every two months. So no healthy environment at work. Most of the work is made up to give you an illusion that you are needed but actually everyone is whiling time away. People pretend to work from home. So communication next to impossible. No team work as everyone is hogging work and doesnt want others to figure out that they are actually doing nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is not doing what they are supposed to do that is their work to take the company to a positive future.

As far as High Tech goes its great being in the Sun.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsFlexabile work environment, lots of oppurtunties for career growth, A broad range of products and markets to explore and learn. First company I have been with that truly has their eye on the long term and short term versus only worrying about the current quarter.

ConsBig, slow, resistant to change. Lots of different departments that do not always communicate well. Systems and tools need serious improvement to be competitive with the rest of the high tech competitiors. Employee skill development focuses mainly on "on the job" experiance which causes alot of employees to be behind on the current best practices and tools available.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop always checking the box on goals of the executives, they pay us to think through their choices and challange them when appropiate

Great pay, poor management

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsPros - The campus and close to home. I can work from home (depending on the project) and I enjoy that flexibility. The people on my team are nice (not effective at all at what they do, but they're nice) Depending on the project, you can work with some really knowledgeable people and the opportunities to learn are great, if you can put up with the abuse that is heaped on by the engineering staff. I'm paid well, and that's really the reason I stay.

ConsVery political - the favorites keep getting promoted. Very top-heavy - there are lots of managers who have one or two direct reports. Management is completely out of touch with what the individual contributors have to do to get their job done. It is not unusual to work 80 to 100 hours a week to be able to try to meet the unrealistic schedules that mangaements puts out. This used to be a great place to work but the energy is gone. No raises or bonuses for the little people, but the big guy gets a 4million dollar bonus. Yeah, that seems fair!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry getting in touch with what's really happening here. The 5-minute Friday pep rallies aren't doing it. There are smart, hardworking people here who aren't being heard.

A lot of smart people that are not managed effectively nor organizationally structured to succeed.

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

ProsFlexibility to also work from home from time to time. There still is concern for the employee. Pay is still at least average.

ConsDistributed workforce makes you have to mostly communicate over the phone, which is isolating. A lot of people work from home and are poorly managed, hence the trouble the company is having on being productive. Constant rounds of layoffs keeps moral extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and get new management in that can truly operate the company instead of just come up with "vision" and "strategy"

Could be better

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

Prossalary is reasonable
flex time is good

ConsConstant downsizing.
Poor strategy
Very bad processes

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many bad processes. Extremely difficult to find a person responsible to get something done. Stop peanut buttering the layoffs. Pay your bills as vendors won't talk to me because they haven't been paid.

Great place to work, but there is zero job security.

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsWork environment is great--get your own office and pretty much come and go as you please. Always able to work from home with little hassle. Lots of very smart people making cool products. Everyone is very nice.

ConsRudderless, directionless company. I was working on a project that was making money and supposedly was going to be a big staple of the business going forward when my job was cut. The distributed teams makes it hard to really build a cohesive project team. Management was generally too busy with technical issues and revamping project timelines to do much people managing. See "hit and run" management. I never thought my skills were properly utilized.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company! Time for new people with a fresh perspective. Sun still has a great name, but it's going to flounder until a really strong leader comes in with a vision for the future.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings in Broomfield, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.