Sun Microsystems

www.sun.com
Profile Unclaimed

67 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great place to work, tough culture to get acclimated into.

Current Employee - Learning Architect in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Learning Architect in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Flexible work life balance, and my boss.

Cons

Lots of people at higher levels doing the job of someone at a lower level.... can be tough to be strategic

We really need to start executing, how can we make that happen faster?

Get some real marketing expertise, please.

Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Work/life balance is great, as well as the compensation and flexibility.

Cons

There is an inability to really make a difference and be heard, due to the size and remote worker scenario.

Give the company a big haircut at the top and get rid of the fatness of middle management. Too many engineers and non-business educated people trying to run the business like it's a game or something. Get some real marketing expertise, please.

Great work culture. Upper management can't get it's act together

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Excellent place to work in terms of work life balance. Great great culture and awesome products. Very engineering focused company with a decent amount of perks.

Cons

Can't seem to sell anything it creates or make good of any aquisitions it does :( As a result, the company hasn't been able to turnaround which then means that the vertical growth opportunities have been non existant at best.

Please replace the executive leadership team as well as the board of directors who actually are more results oriented.

Flexible company, but no job security

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay, and great work life balance. Some really great people at Sun.

Cons

The company has been struggling for some time so beware if you are looking for job security. Layoffs come every 6 months and reorganizations are almost just as often.

Open communication with employees. Figure out how deep you need to cut, regain confidence of employees and customers, look at overall company strategy , and turn the company around to profitability.

Sun Micro: caveat emptor

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sun Microsystems

Pros

If you're in the right division/department, you can get lots of opportunity for exposure to cool technology. Most of the people who work there are great - very personable, relaxed but not slackers. There are some extremely bright people at Sun, and some of them actually know how to communicate their knowledge.

Cons

Though marketing itself as a meritocracy, this was not my experience. Though marketing itself as supportive of telecommuting, there was a blatant disregard of this policy at the discretion of VPs and managers - entire divisions were at one point prohibited from WFH - and this is direct contrast to the face put on by Sun to the community. That's called hypocrisy, not walking your talk, you name it. Sun is also a company in decline; the morale there, when I left, was extremely low.

Hire someone who knows how to run a business. Start walking your talk regarding treatment of your employees.

Beware. Its a bad decision to choose to work at Sun Broomfield.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Brand name that you get from working there. Certifications.

Cons

No actual work done. Too much politics. Bad products. No personal growth. Lay offs every quarter. People are trying to save their jobs every two months. So no healthy environment at work. Most of the work is made up to give you an illusion that you are needed but actually everyone is whiling time away. People pretend to work from home. So communication next to impossible. No team work as everyone is hogging work and doesnt want others to figure out that they are actually doing nothing

Senior management is not doing what they are supposed to do that is their work to take the company to a positive future.

As far as High Tech goes its great being in the Sun.

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Flexabile work environment, lots of oppurtunties for career growth, A broad range of products and markets to explore and learn. First company I have been with that truly has their eye on the long term and short term versus only worrying about the current quarter.

Cons

Big, slow, resistant to change. Lots of different departments that do not always communicate well. Systems and tools need serious improvement to be competitive with the rest of the high tech competitiors. Employee skill development focuses mainly on "on the job" experiance which causes alot of employees to be behind on the current best practices and tools available.

Stop always checking the box on goals of the executives, they pay us to think through their choices and challange them when appropiate

Could be better

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

salary is reasonable
    flex time is good

Cons

Constant downsizing.
    Poor strategy
    Very bad processes

Too many bad processes. Extremely difficult to find a person responsible to get something done. Stop peanut buttering the layoffs. Pay your bills as vendors won't talk to me because they haven't been paid.

Great pay, poor management

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Pros - The campus and close to home. I can work from home (depending on the project) and I enjoy that flexibility. The people on my team are nice (not effective at all at what they do, but they're nice) Depending on the project, you can work with some really knowledgeable people and the opportunities to learn are great, if you can put up with the abuse that is heaped on by the engineering staff. I'm paid well, and that's really the reason I stay.

Cons

Very political - the favorites keep getting promoted. Very top-heavy - there are lots of managers who have one or two direct reports. Management is completely out of touch with what the individual contributors have to do to get their job done. It is not unusual to work 80 to 100 hours a week to be able to try to meet the unrealistic schedules that mangaements puts out. This used to be a great place to work but the energy is gone. No raises or bonuses for the little people, but the big guy gets a 4million dollar bonus. Yeah, that seems fair!

Try getting in touch with what's really happening here. The 5-minute Friday pep rallies aren't doing it. There are smart, hardworking people here who aren't being heard.

A lot of smart people that are not managed effectively nor organizationally structured to succeed.

I have been working at Sun Microsystems

Pros

Flexibility to also work from home from time to time. There still is concern for the employee. Pay is still at least average.

Cons

Distributed workforce makes you have to mostly communicate over the phone, which is isolating. A lot of people work from home and are poorly managed, hence the trouble the company is having on being productive. Constant rounds of layoffs keeps moral extremely low.

Quit and get new management in that can truly operate the company instead of just come up with "vision" and "strategy"