Sun Microsystems

Sun Microsystems Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Sun Microsystems CEO (Oracle) Lawrence J. Ellison

Lawrence J. Ellison

Pros
  • Flexible working conditions, ability to work from home(in 210 reviews)

• Great technology, lots of smart people and a good work life balance(in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced senior management after Scott McNealy was no longer at the reins(in 75 reviews)

• Upper management didn't know how to monetize(in 49 reviews)

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The sky was the limit

Solution Designer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCreative, fun, forwards, great place to work.

ConsLong work hours and later hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the values that SUN stood for and keep them alive.

Great Place to work

Business Technologist (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsPositive Working environment
    Emphasized employee retention
    Resources allocated to training and advancement

Conscompany was continuously in flux
    Had a required class called "managing Change"

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that it has been absorbed into Oracle things should be fairly stable, but I hope it hasn't lost that cool vibe of caring for all the employees and valuing their contributions.

Awesome

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGreat place to work, very casual

Conspurchased by Oracle, so no longer around

Advice to Senior Managementdon't get purchased, but too late for that

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company providing satisfying and challenging work

Program Manager (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsWork from home flexibility, great work-life balance, no travel was required, the pay and benefits were excellent, team members were nice to work with, the Broomfield campus was very nice with a cafeteria providing a variety of menu/cuisine options.

ConsDistributed teams in varying time zones made it difficult to get everyone on the phone for a meeting at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors, VPs and other execs needed to co-mingle with the worker bees more than they did. Come down from their ivory tower every so often to see what was really going on in their organization.

Respected, Valued, Encouraged to grow

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsFlexible working conditions, ability to work from home. There was a work life balance. Lots of perks, and things to help make life and work much better. There was plenty of chances to get training, from technical training to soft skills training.

ConsSun never really knew how to monetize products, when we were at the center of the tech bubble we wound up giving away more service than we were paid for. The downer part of working for Sun was having to explain what we did whenever someone wanted to know who I worked for. Also Sun had about 10 years of lay offs each quarter which lead to pretty bad morale for those of us working in the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the money, don't forget how to be human.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsGreat benefits, excellent co-workers that were smart, competent, and fun to work with

ConsGreed and self-centered attitudes were very prominent at Sun

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just live to move up the ladder, work with people with the perspective that every day counts, not just the future

Entering customer order information into database.

Data Entry (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsThe name of Sun Microsystem is recognizable by most tech savy people. I enjoy working in a fast paced work force that is creative and organized.

ConsIt is harder for large corporations to create change that can be dynamic. Most corporations have a set path because it has been found to work for them.

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsFantastic! Smart! Great Office environment! Extremely smart engineering staff

ConsGot bought by Oracle. Oracle is OK but more focused on bottom line then driving solid engineering.

Great place to work

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsSun was a great place to work in it's hey day. Great benefits, lots of team building and the all hands were always something special. They spared no expense, with guest speakers such as Dana Carvey.

ConsHard to get promoted from within as an Admin.

Brutal work ethic

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsLarge corporation that has many opportunities

ConsHighly political environment where brown nosing takes precedence over skills

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up and you'll get more production out of your employees

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!