Sun Microsystems

Sun Microsystems Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Sun Microsystems CEO (Oracle) Lawrence J. Ellison

Lawrence J. Ellison

Pros:
  • "Flexible working conditions, ability to work from home"
    in 210 reviews
  • "Work life balance, company vision ahead of its time, opportunities to learn and contribute"
    in 114 reviews
Cons:
  • "Inexperienced senior management after Scott McNealy was no longer at the reins"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Upper management didn't know how to monetize"
    in 49 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

QA Director

QA Director (Former Employee)
Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work and I loved working there

ConsCannot think any. I wish they know how to make money

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Software Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsSolid leadership in software

ConsPositioning software in a hardware focused company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Sun was setting

Director (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetent, low stress, good technology

ConsToo slow moving, low energy, felt like a retirement place

Awesome

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to work, very casual

Conspurchased by Oracle, so no longer around

Advice to Senior Managementdon't get purchased, but too late for that

Wonderful technology compay

Pre-Sales Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorked hard, but, had fun doing it.

ConsCost of hardware changed so, scale, and financials needed more attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional focus on financials

Great company providing satisfying and challenging work

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than a year

ProsWork from home flexibility, great work-life balance, no travel was required, the pay and benefits were excellent, team members were nice to work with, the Broomfield campus was very nice with a cafeteria providing a variety of menu/cuisine options.

ConsDistributed teams in varying time zones made it difficult to get everyone on the phone for a meeting at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors, VPs and other execs needed to co-mingle with the worker bees more than they did. Come down from their ivory tower every so often to see what was really going on in their organization.

Absolutely was the best place to work

Senior Software Engineer and Architect (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people were the #1 reason that made working at Sun for 21 years a fantastic experience. We were all mostly young, smart people at the start and grew together, developing some of the core technology that powers the Internet and other tech.

ConsOracle bought Sun ;-( because Sun senior management didn't know how to run a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPort-mortem - you should have never allowed Mr. Ponytail to run the business. His brilliant strategy of giving everything away for free in the hopes that one day a customer would want to pay for something didn't make a lot of business sense to many of us.

A positive professional relationship with a dynamic company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

ProsDynamic technology with hardware, software and service delivery industry leading professionals. The corporation was generous to a fault with stock options and a regular bonus plan, you always felt wanted.

ConsIt was a pretty demanding environment that required a large time commit. It was a constant struggle to make sure the work-life balance was protected. The company demands could and did consume many employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on technology, but don't forget about the well-being of your employees.

manager

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood culture, lot of technical people, amazing technology, flexible, good pay, no bueracracy

ConsNot making profit, no revenue, top management is not very aggressive, road map is too ambitious

Probably the most amazing company I worked for

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
Camberley, England (UK)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAmazing minds, cutting edge technology, ability and opportunities to learn. Quality training at least in the earlier years before the cutbacks kicked in.

I had the great fortune to work for Sun whilst it was still in its ascendency and experienced an amazing place to be an engineer. So many clever people that were happy to help out, to share their knowledge and lead by example.
Sun engineers strived to be the best, to solve problems and to provide fixes, in essence to do the right thing by the customer.

There were also opportunities to travel. Sun had annual tech training for their entire engineering and support organisation. My first experience of this was Denver, followed by San Francisco and later I got to present to my peers in Las Vegas. Such incredible times, such amazing memories.
Then there was the 2000 kick off event in Disneyland, Paris. Clearly Sun were doing very well at this point.

Oh course in the early years there were beer busts every month, a professional but relaxed atmosphere and such a vibe as the company was growing so fast.
Processes were there and for the most part made sense but management were open to feedback from engineers and often sought them out to solve problems.

As a techie it was such a cool place to learn, grow and become a better engineer.

ConsWhen the cuts really kicked in, the culture changed. Management dictated policy, processes and direction and the engineers began to be treated like children.
Then there were the annual reductions in force (layoffs) that sapped morale and got everyone nervous.
Training later suffered as the quality trainers we're let go and contractors were brought in, when you could get it (this was after years of no pay rises, so training was offered as alternatives until that got too expensive).

Did I mention lack of pay rises?

After a few years management knew they couldn't change anything, so didn't bother. Annual reviews became pointless, depressing and futile. There were quotas on how many top grades could be given out each year, so even if you'd over performed in the current year, if you'd had a grade 1 review the previous year, tough ... you'd get a lesser grade this year.
This encouraged everyone to do the bare minimum and as such quality suffered.

Advice to Senior ManagementAh we'll it's all a bit too late now.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All 989 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.