Sun Microsystems UK

Updated September 9, 2014
3.7

Kim Jones

Sun Microsystems, now Oracle is a nice place to work

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sun Microsystems UK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They offer a great benefit package and look after employees very well.

Cons

Sun became rather big in a short period of time and that, together with the credit crisis turned Sun into the red numbers. This made it easy for Oracle to take over Sun. The once flexible company turned a bit less flexible.

Well, that is hard to say, since there is no management, but at the time I would say "controlled growth" is good instead of the explosion in growth Sun went through.

Junior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer

I worked at Sun Microsystems UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively meritocratic and open culture within engineering.

Cons

Mature technology company, which meant changes could be difficult to make: Code could be quite old, and there were a lot of processes to follow.

loved the early days of Sun in the late '90's but it lost its way after the dot com bubble burst

I worked at Sun Microsystems UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

positive, energising environment, can do attitude

Cons

slavish following of Scott's vision to the detriment of the strategy

Not the best career I've taken

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

Good promotions, bonuses, support, customers, advancement in information technology, a part of oracle, sufficient, generally small, supportive colleagues, paid travel.

Cons

Promotions quite random, management very biased and supportive towards other lower members of staff, customer reviews declining, not the best pay.

Less biased promotions an increased pay would make the overall experience at Sun Microsystems much better. There was some appearance to exceed in the Job I took, but I seemed to get put down by the management and almost forced to forget about advancing in my career.

Good

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

professional, good culture, friendly, happy place to work then

Cons

redundancies and lack of plan for the future were apparent but this was more to do with the economoy

Management were good, good reviews, solid plans for future, excellent training opportunities for people

Good place to work, relaxed atmosphere, most folk are self motivated to do the right thing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

Innovation, flexible management, can be a fun place to work - so long as you get your objectives done.

Cons

Poor pay in recent years, lay-offs a norm given tough economic conditions

Stop changing strategic direction every 6-12 months

Sun is setting - fun while it lasted

I have been working at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

Relaxed work ethic, friendly environment, pay & benefits on-par or better then elsewhere, being bought by Oracle

Cons

too many lay-offs, being bought by Oracle

Manager/Director level management is good, from there on up it's a joke...

Once upon a time, up on cloud 9

Current Employee - Pre-Sales
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales

I have been working at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

Training offered is fantastic, really good advancement. Underlying culture is good, some incredible people. Good benefits. Salary is higher than average.

Cons

Top heavy, poorly guided management structure. Lay-off after layoff has reduced our ability to deliver some services to customers. Awful internal tools seem to be decades behind the industry standard

I think it would probably best if come the next RIF, there were greater cuts from management level in order to balance out the company

A great team of technical people

Current Employee - Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Technical Staff

I have been working at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

Some of the best technical staff you could wish to work with
    A real team spirit amongst staff and willingness to help each other
    A great company for work/life balance
    Compensation isn't the best in the industry but is still ok compared to other tech sectors companies

Cons

Lack of management direction on how to make the good products sun has profitable
    Too many middle managers, so information not getting back to the top
    Some of the flexibility promoted by Sun is very much down to whether you have one of the Sun managers or the the ones who are stuck in the dark ages about home working

Go back to your routes when Scott GENUINELY had a open door policy and none of us where too low to speak directly to the men at the top (it made us feel valued), and stop creating managers and outsourcing only to end up with your few remaining sun badged staff having to pick up the mess each time the outsourcing partners don't have the skills to do the tasks.

Sun Microsystems

Current Employee - Internal Account Manager in Camberley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Internal Account Manager in Camberley, England (UK)

I have been working at Sun Microsystems UK

Pros

The most important facets of life at Sun are technology, training and development, and fun. We're determined to continue stretching boundaries and breaking new ground in order to provide our customers with a service that's second to none. That's why all our employees get the chance to work with phenomenally advanced technology. All our employees benefit from training and development options at every stage of their career with us. And all our employees benefit from working in an environment that's designed to make life enjoyable.

Our values are reflected in the unofficial mottos 'work hard, play hard' and 'to seek permission is to ask for denial'. Our people are empowered to challenge the way we operate, shaping their own career and introducing their own ideas to the business. We also encourage and reward teamwork, whether it's between employees, customers, vendors, shareholders or virtual teams operating across the globe.

Linked to these values is our aim to ensure that the rewards and benefits our people receive are among the best in the industry. We pay salaries that compete with any of our competitors, and these are reviewed at regular intervals.

Benefits include:

* a health care plan
        * medical screening
        * maternity and paternity benefits
        * an employee advisory resource

Cons

Old infrastructure. Too much middle management.

Benefits include: