Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated February 27, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
  • Bowling Green, KY
2.4
Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

1. Good opportunity in advancing career

Former Employee - Temp in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Temp in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good people, good career moves

Cons

Have to go through a temp agency

Make it easier to move up in career

2. Negativity and disingenuousness run rampant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good pay and benefits, made some good friends among associates, peers, etc

Cons

Confusing organizational structure, inconsistent and hypocritical implementation and enforcement of company policies by HR and middle management, 12 hour shift schedule, huge turnover

Spend more time on the floor investigating the disconnect between rhetoric and reality

3. Ideals & Vision vs. Reality

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sun Products is a relatively large company and frequently has internal job openings for individuals who are open to career growth and/or relocation. The benefits are above average for the geographic area which I worked in, and the starting pay for hourly associates and upper management are very competitive for the area. Some members of the leadership team are very focused on doing their jobs, developing their direct reports, and are free of self-interest on the job. Sun Products has an excellent safety record in their industry (Manufacturing) and has won some very prestigious awards in this area--safety is definitely part of the culture and is taken seriously. The Senior HR Manager and Maintenance Manager are excellent at this site, as are some of the training staff to name some of the better leaders. Sun also does a pretty decent job of actively recruiting and hiring a diverse workforce.

Cons

Despite paying above-market wages, Sun suffers from very high turnover. A lot of this turnover is in the hourly ranks, but some of it is within the salaried ranks as well. Sun wants to be known as the employer of choice in the area but has a reputation as being a place where cronyism and the old boy network are still firmly in place. Politics? Office/shop floor politics abound here in the leadership and professional-level employees. Initial onboarding program is not structured and peers selected to do the onboarding for new hires do not seem to be carefully screened so you may or may not be properly prepared for your new role...hope that you learn very quickly. A disheartening tendency to look at people, not the process as the cause for all failures on the floor which is an outdated and morale-killing way of 'problem-solving'.

There is some potential to be the employer of choice in your area since you do offer some good things: diverse workforce, good benefits, above-market pay, and peer training for a longer time for new hires. You have some really good managers who are quietly working at their jobs and are not in the upper management's offices constantly trying to network--notice and recognize the managers who are actually DOING THE WORK rather than the ones who merely talk the talk. Increase upper management presence on the floor and have them listen to the employees; employees do like interacting with their supervisors (for the most part) but also often feel like upper management doesn't listen to them. Look at WHY there is so much turnover, since this is not normal for your industry and perhaps use an exit interview process to ID root causes and then find ways to address them. Some leadership coaching (starting at the department management level) is needed to develop the soft skills of your leadership so they can more effectively handle feedback situations, learn to periodically give praise, and handle conflict situations. Training on basic root-cause problem solving in manufacturing processes would also be helpful for both department level management and first-line supervision so they could learn about the various causes of failures and focus more on actual problem solving rather than finger-pointing which contributes to negative morale and wastes time which could be focused on actually finding the root cause of 'why' and fixing the issue so it does not happen again. Consider instituting a training program for designated peer mentors who will work with new hires to teach them the ins and outs of the company and their new jobs.

5. No Coherent management organization

Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

slightly better pay than others, healthcare from day one, paid uniforms.

Cons

I spend most days doing and undoing the same thing due to different managers changing plans. The company seems to care for its employees but I have seen more evidence to the contrary.

Pay a little more and stop requiring so much overtime

6. Headed in right direction, but serious morale problem.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good, depending on which department you find yourself in. Some of the managers are great, some are terrible. Nepotism seems to have run rampant in the past. It looks like upper management is trying to take care of that by demoting unqualified managers.

Cons

The main complaint would be the overall attitude of most of the employees. It is usually a generally grumpy place. Most departments stay understaffed, so mandatory overtime is a monthly to weekly occurrence, depending on your department.

Put more of an emphasis on educating everyone on Kaizen/LSS. Continue to work on improving workplace morale. The place has improved tremendously in Bowling Green since Terry Walsh took over.

Disconnect Between Management and Hourly Employees

Former Employee - Team Manager in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays decent wages for the marketplaces it is in, frequent job opportunities which are posted internally first, ample opportunities to be involved in cross-functional projects, and some of the leaders are decent.

Cons

Management layers are extensive, and turnover on the hourly side is quite high for manufacturing. A great deal of lip service is given to 'listening to the employees' but very little is actually done and the company culture is very much one of management entitlement.

Listen to your employees; some of them are probably just complaining but there are also some who do have some valid concerns and/or great ideas which could be implemented.

A reliable full-time job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Once you get hired, you are pretty much guaranteed a job until you decide to move on.
    This company seems to do well even in a down economy.
    Many of the coworkers and management are easy to get along with.

Cons

It is very difficult to move up within this company without a college degree.
    There are many temp employees working at the warehouses who have applied to get hired multiple times, but cannot get an interview. I have seen several instances where a full-time temp employee has been doing their job very well for over a year, but the company's hiring process does not favor that experience over a new applicant walking in from the street.
    The top performers at the warehouses are not given enough reward for their high performance, and it seems like the low performers are allowed to continue their low performance indefinitely, so there is little incentive for anyone to strive for excellent person performance. This gets frustrating for the top performers who constantly have to deal with other associates who obviously don't care about the quality of their work.

Pretty good

Former Employee - Production Line Specialist in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Production Line Specialist in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good experience, not too satisfying, company wants to be a strong player int the market, but still it is hard to compete with Procter and Gamble

Cons

Not too many bad sides, but they could have a better understanding of what the true talent is, management was mostly friendly and understanding

Keep up the good work, but do not forget to see people's real talents

A Satisfying Job for a Young Professional

Current Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Shipping Coordinator in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

As a young professional striving to make it on their own, I've found Huish Detergents/ Sun Products to be a satisfying job and a rewarding workplace. I have observed managment and found them to be fair, competent, fun, but also very serious about their job. They run their offices with an air both casual and professional allowing for an employee to be at ease as well as efficient. This atmosphere makes it easy for an employee to approach a senior member with questions or concerns improving the quality of work. I find personally that I put forth a better effort to avoid disappointing my supervisors than I would if they were removed and aloof from the people they are responsible for. I have observed poor work resulting in discipline and satisfactory work resulting in praise and advancement. The workplace is well maintained and very cleanly, in fact it is the cleanliest and most orderly factory I have ever worked for. Safety is a high priority and taken very seriously, I feel very secure in my work environment. The compensation and benefits package is competitive, I am mostly satisfied with my pay and benefits. Overall, I give four out of five stars to Huish Detergents/ Sun Products as a top employer in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Cons

Training, however, is a bit lackluster. I found myself intimidated by my trainer and very hesitant to approach them with material I was unsure about. Training can be a bi overwhelming and confusing, leaving the employee uncomfortable and confused about the work they are doing. I found approaching employees other that my trainer was the key to making it through training. I also was not provided alot of information in regards to my schedule or equipment I would need for work. However, even after I left training and went to my regular shift, I found my fellow employees very helpful in assisting me with tasks and material I was unfamiliar with. Never once have I been scolded for asking a question.

My only concern would be more attention to training. It is very scattered and random. I feel standardizing the training program would be most beneficial. Management as a whole is very satisfactory, I feel I have leadership without being monitored too closely.

Sun Products Corporation Photos