Sun Products Corporation
www.sunproductscorp.com Wilton, CT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sun Products Corporation Reviews in Bowling Green, KY

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell

Jeffrey P. Ansell

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Headed in right direction, but serious morale problem.

Bowling Green, KY

ProsThe pay is pretty good, depending on which department you find yourself in. Some of the managers are great, some are terrible. Nepotism seems to have run rampant in the past. It looks like upper management is trying to take care of that by demoting unqualified managers.

ConsThe main complaint would be the overall attitude of most of the employees. It is usually a generally grumpy place. Most departments stay understaffed, so mandatory overtime is a monthly to weekly occurrence, depending on your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more of an emphasis on educating everyone on Kaizen/LSS. Continue to work on improving workplace morale. The place has improved tremendously in Bowling Green since Terry Walsh took over.

Disconnect Between Management and Hourly Employees

Team Manager (Former Employee)
    Bowling Green, KY

ProsPays decent wages for the marketplaces it is in, frequent job opportunities which are posted internally first, ample opportunities to be involved in cross-functional projects, and some of the leaders are decent.

ConsManagement layers are extensive, and turnover on the hourly side is quite high for manufacturing. A great deal of lip service is given to 'listening to the employees' but very little is actually done and the company culture is very much one of management entitlement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees; some of them are probably just complaining but there are also some who do have some valid concerns and/or great ideas which could be implemented.

A reliable full-time job

(Current Employee)
    Bowling Green, KY

ProsOnce you get hired, you are pretty much guaranteed a job until you decide to move on.
    This company seems to do well even in a down economy.
    Many of the coworkers and management are easy to get along with.

ConsIt is very difficult to move up within this company without a college degree.
    There are many temp employees working at the warehouses who have applied to get hired multiple times, but cannot get an interview. I have seen several instances where a full-time temp employee has been doing their job very well for over a year, but the company's hiring process does not favor that experience over a new applicant walking in from the street.
    The top performers at the warehouses are not given enough reward for their high performance, and it seems like the low performers are allowed to continue their low performance indefinitely, so there is little incentive for anyone to strive for excellent person performance. This gets frustrating for the top performers who constantly have to deal with other associates who obviously don't care about the quality of their work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

Production Line Specialist (Former Employee)
    Bowling Green, KY

ProsGood experience, not too satisfying, company wants to be a strong player int the market, but still it is hard to compete with Procter and Gamble

ConsNot too many bad sides, but they could have a better understanding of what the true talent is, management was mostly friendly and understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but do not forget to see people's real talents

A Satisfying Job for a Young Professional

Shipping Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Bowling Green, KY

ProsAs a young professional striving to make it on their own, I've found Huish Detergents/ Sun Products to be a satisfying job and a rewarding workplace. I have observed managment and found them to be fair, competent, fun, but also very serious about their job. They run their offices with an air both casual and professional allowing for an employee to be at ease as well as efficient. This atmosphere makes it easy for an employee to approach a senior member with questions or concerns improving the quality of work. I find personally that I put forth a better effort to avoid disappointing my supervisors than I would if they were removed and aloof from the people they are responsible for. I have observed poor work resulting in discipline and satisfactory work resulting in praise and advancement. The workplace is well maintained and very cleanly, in fact it is the cleanliest and most orderly factory I have ever worked for. Safety is a high priority and taken very seriously, I feel very secure in my work environment. The compensation and benefits package is competitive, I am mostly satisfied with my pay and benefits. Overall, I give four out of five stars to Huish Detergents/ Sun Products as a top employer in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

ConsTraining, however, is a bit lackluster. I found myself intimidated by my trainer and very hesitant to approach them with material I was unsure about. Training can be a bi overwhelming and confusing, leaving the employee uncomfortable and confused about the work they are doing. I found approaching employees other that my trainer was the key to making it through training. I also was not provided alot of information in regards to my schedule or equipment I would need for work. However, even after I left training and went to my regular shift, I found my fellow employees very helpful in assisting me with tasks and material I was unfamiliar with. Never once have I been scolded for asking a question.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only concern would be more attention to training. It is very scattered and random. I feel standardizing the training program would be most beneficial. Management as a whole is very satisfactory, I feel I have leadership without being monitored too closely.

Worked for Sun Products Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Products Corporation reviews and ratings in Bowling Green, KY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Products Corporation CEO Jeffrey P. Ansell. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Sun Products Corporation employees.