Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated February 27, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
2.6
Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Pros
  • Great people, excellent company values, good pay and generous benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is incredible here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate doesn't understand the needs at the plant level and often gets in the way of progress (in 10 reviews)

• Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic (in 4 reviews)

1. All Talk and You Must Conform

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (more than a year)

Pros

Good money. Learned a great deal and very interesting work.

Cons

Treats you like an outsider. No one really talks to you unless its work related. Everyone must act and conform as they are told or they are out. Senior management is only concerned about how it looks rather that what is actually is and most of the senior management can't even handle the copy machine or pull together a report from excel.

Open you eyes to the hard workers you have in the rank and file. There is great talent there that is just waiting to shine and if you don't encourage that you are going to lose talent and gain a poor reputation.

2. No formal organized training/ High stress environment

Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees in the office were really sweet/ thoughtful. You can learn how to manipulate Microsoft Office like a champ by collaborating with skilled co-workers. Tuition reimbursement and retirement matching plan were great.

Cons

Health benefits and training are terrible/embarrassing. Also, you will not experience freedom on the weekends. As required, I had to carry the company laptop home on weekends and to church on Sundays to answer emails and make sure that trucks were delivering as expected. Most of the managers are arrogant and need to learn humility.

My biggest disappointment: This is an environment in which people love to gossip and make you look at fault for their problems by "throwing you under the bus" without first checking the facts. Co-workers/people in other departments assume the worst and try to cover their apples by writing an email to your manager/ manager's manager. On these emails, they are trying to get you fired without furnishing proof. Many times, I had to provide proof to managers that the Traffic Department or sales staff were at fault for the very mistakes that they were blaming me. I started experiencing heart pains from all the stress that I was encountering.

In conclusion, if you want to advance here and fit into the culture properly, then you should 1. gossip a lot 2. blame other people 3. Not believe in yourself or you will be labeled as arrogant.

I am not holding any ill feelings toward anyone. The severed relationship between me and SPC was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Shortly after, I found another company that treated me respectfully and now I have the best manager that I could ever ask for.

If you are experiencing the same problems, you might also want to sever the relationship with SPC and enjoy freedom again.

3. Was good when it was Unilever

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Decent pay and good people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to its workers

Pay attention to what your employees have to say

5. Ooof!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Miserable place to work. No civility. No loyalty from management or to management. If you want to work 40 hours a week and get away with doing little while there, then this is the place for you.

Resign and let some competent senior management come in to make the (right) decisions that you are not. A new management team might actually be able to make some nimble decisions that will make the company some top and bottom line. Gripped in indecision is no way to manage a company. Hopefully the PE management will see the incompetence of current management and make some changes.

6. Steady decline in maintenance and production since created.

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that I'm not employed by this Investment Capital Train Wreck is the only positive outcome of this venture for me.

Cons

Our modern, high production, Union plant was destined for the chopping block ever since the Sun Products Corporation was created. Our production potential was purposely stifled to finance a non union facility in another state. The market share we once celebrated was sacrificed as well.

My advice to management was dismissed! We had a high volume, modern facility in the mid Atlantic region that could handle all the production for the eastern half of the country. We also had sufficient room for corporate offices, research laboratories and product expansion. We were ignored in favor of corporate Offices and Research labs in Connecticut, and a new manufacturing facility in Bowling Green Kentucky. Being owned by a Venture Capitalist is being subject to a quick flip, and we were the discarded property!

Used to be a great place to work, purchased by vulture capitalists who want more money NOW.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady employment because of union. Highly skilled and intelligent workforce (poorly treated and managed horribly.)

Cons

Vicious cut throat management only interested in immediate returns with no vision toward the future.
    Forced overtime, up to 40+ hours/week. I am not kidding! This year has been better since they hate the union and would rather run poor quality material at inferior plants than allow us to do the great job we did for 50+ years as Unilever.

Stop listening to marketing and start forcing sales force to do their jobs.
    Stop hiring cronies from companies you just left and giving them and yourselves whopping bonuses for incompetent performance.
    Truly realize the value of what you claim to be your number one asset, your employees and stop treating them like rats on a wheel.

Waste of Time and Poor Compensation

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Convenient parking
    Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate
    Some really great go-workers
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

No training program
    Unprofessional Staff
    Overinflated Titles vs. Duties
    Management always wants to "blame someone" for their problems
    Leaders encourage linking corporate travel with personal travel expenses,
    Never learned anything new while manager took credit for everything in department

Time to do a clean sweep of legacy managers, seriously if you can't pay out a 100% bonus every time, then it's time to do the hard things and stop running business like a bunch of fat kids.

A company owned by an investment company who knows little about manufacturing and cares even less about it's employees.

Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were never any pros to this company.

Cons

When we were Unilever we were a 50 million case a year capable--now we are a lousy co-packer. Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic. The company wants to put all their eggs in Bowling Green's basket--they will fall flat. At Baltimore we have one person per line, at their other locations they have many more. We are laying off 53 people on May 10th and as of 2 days before personnel cannot even get that right. Extremely unprofessional in this layoff process. One can only hope it blows up in their collective faces.

If there is a next contract(highly doubtful) maybe the company should bargain in good faith instead of lying to the union and employees.

10. Negativity and disingenuousness run rampant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Good pay and benefits, made some good friends among associates, peers, etc

Cons

Confusing organizational structure, inconsistent and hypocritical implementation and enforcement of company policies by HR and middle management, 12 hour shift schedule, huge turnover

Spend more time on the floor investigating the disconnect between rhetoric and reality

11. Sun Products needs act like the small,

Current Employee - Brand Manager
    Current Employee - Brand Manager

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time

Pros

-high caliber colleagues: the company mostly attracts excellent people at the associate level

Cons

-performance: the company is not in a strong position for growth. investment in innovation and brand building is below the levels needed to deliver short-sighted cost targets.
    -targets: business objectives are systematically unrealistic and create a negative working environment.
    -management: leadership at the director level is lacking the experience required to prioritize and win. The company wants to act like a sophisticated CPG (Unilever, P&G), but with significantly fewer resources. The leadership team is not adapting to the smaller, more nimble company that they (claim to) want to be.

Sun Products Corporation Photos