Sun Products Corporation

Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.9

Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Was good when it was Unilever

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Decent pay and good people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to its workers

Pay attention to what your employees have to say

Ooof!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Miserable place to work. No civility. No loyalty from management or to management. If you want to work 40 hours a week and get away with doing little while there, then this is the place for you.

Resign and let some competent senior management come in to make the (right) decisions that you are not. A new management team might actually be able to make some nimble decisions that will make the company some top and bottom line. Gripped in indecision is no way to manage a company. Hopefully the PE management will see the incompetence of current management and make some changes.

Steady decline in maintenance and production since created.

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fact that I'm not employed by this Investment Capital Train Wreck is the only positive outcome of this venture for me.

Cons

Our modern, high production, Union plant was destined for the chopping block ever since the Sun Products Corporation was created. Our production potential was purposely stifled to finance a non union facility in another state. The market share we once celebrated was sacrificed as well.

My advice to management was dismissed! We had a high volume, modern facility in the mid Atlantic region that could handle all the production for the eastern half of the country. We also had sufficient room for corporate offices, research laboratories and product expansion. We were ignored in favor of corporate Offices and Research labs in Connecticut, and a new manufacturing facility in Bowling Green Kentucky. Being owned by a Venture Capitalist is being subject to a quick flip, and we were the discarded property!

Used to be a great place to work, purchased by vulture capitalists who want more money NOW.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady employment because of union. Highly skilled and intelligent workforce (poorly treated and managed horribly.)

Cons

Vicious cut throat management only interested in immediate returns with no vision toward the future.
    Forced overtime, up to 40+ hours/week. I am not kidding! This year has been better since they hate the union and would rather run poor quality material at inferior plants than allow us to do the great job we did for 50+ years as Unilever.

Stop listening to marketing and start forcing sales force to do their jobs.
    Stop hiring cronies from companies you just left and giving them and yourselves whopping bonuses for incompetent performance.
    Truly realize the value of what you claim to be your number one asset, your employees and stop treating them like rats on a wheel.

Waste of Time and Poor Compensation

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convenient parking
    Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate
    Some really great go-workers
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

No training program
    Unprofessional Staff
    Overinflated Titles vs. Duties
    Management always wants to "blame someone" for their problems
    Leaders encourage linking corporate travel with personal travel expenses,
    Never learned anything new while manager took credit for everything in department

Time to do a clean sweep of legacy managers, seriously if you can't pay out a 100% bonus every time, then it's time to do the hard things and stop running business like a bunch of fat kids.

A company owned by an investment company who knows little about manufacturing and cares even less about it's employees.

Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There were never any pros to this company.

Cons

When we were Unilever we were a 50 million case a year capable--now we are a lousy co-packer. Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic. The company wants to put all their eggs in Bowling Green's basket--they will fall flat. At Baltimore we have one person per line, at their other locations they have many more. We are laying off 53 people on May 10th and as of 2 days before personnel cannot even get that right. Extremely unprofessional in this layoff process. One can only hope it blows up in their collective faces.

If there is a next contract(highly doubtful) maybe the company should bargain in good faith instead of lying to the union and employees.

My management is unappreciative and condescending, hindering results with unneccsary processes.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Great benefits and a good wellness program .

Cons

There is no consistency with n processes, they seem to make them up as they go. NO merit increases last year. High turnover rate and they are losing long time employees. No career development.

Show your employees they are valued, show employees they are respected. Listen to them when they tell you waht works instead of dismissing them.

Started off strong, but there was a change in management

Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is incredible here. Pay is good. Previous manager was very flexible and collaborative.

Cons

This is still the good 'ol boys club. There is an inability to adapt to today's virtual business and are passive aggressive and almost pouty when they are challenged to evolve. Communication is awful, you will be all but ignored if you are not one of the boys. Because if this lack of communication, they can't give a clear path to your role, or do they know how to develop you and they admit that.

No Coherent management organization

Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Forklift in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

slightly better pay than others, healthcare from day one, paid uniforms.

Cons

I spend most days doing and undoing the same thing due to different managers changing plans. The company seems to care for its employees but I have seen more evidence to the contrary.

Pay a little more and stop requiring so much overtime

Current manager

Current Employee - Customer Development Manager in Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Development Manager in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people! Good benefits, but beware, the company is eliminating benefits to save money (education assistance).

Cons

This place will make you age quickly. People work hard and make huge contributions, but lack of direction and recognition hurts morale.

I used to work for a company that had good HR leadership. Sun needs to upgrade in this area. Makes a big difference.

Sun Products Corporation Photos