Sun Products Corporation

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Pros
  • Worked with alot of great people (in 6 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is incredible here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate doesn't understand the needs at the plant level and often gets in the way of progress (in 10 reviews)

• Our modern, high production, Union plant was destined for the chopping block ever since the Sun Products Corporation was created (in 4 reviews)

1. Slash and Run

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. Closed a more efficient, modern facility because it was a union facility.

Cons

Vision is cheapest labor and products at all costs!

Advice to Management

Run

2. All Talk and You Must Conform

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good money. Learned a great deal and very interesting work.

Cons

Treats you like an outsider. No one really talks to you unless its work related. Everyone must act and conform as they are told or they are out. Senior management is only concerned about how it looks rather that what is actually is and most of the senior management can't even handle the copy machine or pull together a report from excel.

Advice to Management

Open you eyes to the hard workers you have in the rank and file. There is great talent there that is just waiting to shine and if you don't encourage that you are going to lose talent and gain a poor reputation.

No formal organized training/ High stress environment

Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees in the office were really sweet/ thoughtful. You can learn how to manipulate Microsoft Office like a champ by collaborating with skilled co-workers. Tuition reimbursement and retirement matching plan were great.

Cons

Health benefits and training are terrible/embarrassing. Also, you will not experience freedom on the weekends. As required, I had to carry the company laptop home on weekends and to church on Sundays to answer emails and make sure that trucks were delivering as expected. Most of the managers are arrogant and need to learn humility.

My biggest disappointment: This is an environment in which people love to gossip and make you look at fault for their problems by "throwing you under the bus" without first checking the facts. Co-workers/people in other departments assume the worst and try to cover their apples by writing an email to your manager/ manager's manager. On these emails, they are trying to get you fired without furnishing proof. Many times, I had to provide proof to managers that the Traffic Department or sales staff were at fault for the very mistakes that they were blaming me. I started experiencing heart pains from all the stress that I was encountering.

In conclusion, if you want to advance here and fit into the culture properly, then you should 1. gossip a lot 2. blame other people 3. Not believe in yourself or you will be labeled as arrogant.

Advice to Management

I am not holding any ill feelings toward anyone. The severed relationship between me and SPC was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Shortly after, I found another company that treated me respectfully and now I have the best manager that I could ever ask for.

If you are experiencing the same problems, you might also want to sever the relationship with SPC and enjoy freedom again.

5. Was good when it was Unilever

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Decent pay and good people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to its workers

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees have to say

6. Ooof!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none that I can think of.

Cons

Miserable place to work. No civility. No loyalty from management or to management. If you want to work 40 hours a week and get away with doing little while there, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Resign and let some competent senior management come in to make the (right) decisions that you are not. A new management team might actually be able to make some nimble decisions that will make the company some top and bottom line. Gripped in indecision is no way to manage a company. Hopefully the PE management will see the incompetence of current management and make some changes.

Used to be a great place to work, purchased by vulture capitalists who want more money NOW.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady employment because of union. Highly skilled and intelligent workforce (poorly treated and managed horribly.)

Cons

Vicious cut throat management only interested in immediate returns with no vision toward the future.
    Forced overtime, up to 40+ hours/week. I am not kidding! This year has been better since they hate the union and would rather run poor quality material at inferior plants than allow us to do the great job we did for 50+ years as Unilever.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to marketing and start forcing sales force to do their jobs.
    Stop hiring cronies from companies you just left and giving them and yourselves whopping bonuses for incompetent performance.
    Truly realize the value of what you claim to be your number one asset, your employees and stop treating them like rats on a wheel.

Waste of Time and Poor Compensation

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient parking
    Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate
    Some really great go-workers
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

No training program
    Unprofessional Staff
    Overinflated Titles vs. Duties
    Management always wants to "blame someone" for their problems
    Leaders encourage linking corporate travel with personal travel expenses,
    Never learned anything new while manager took credit for everything in department

Advice to Management

Time to do a clean sweep of legacy managers, seriously if you can't pay out a 100% bonus every time, then it's time to do the hard things and stop running business like a bunch of fat kids.

A company owned by an investment company who knows little about manufacturing and cares even less about it's employees.

Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were never any pros to this company.

Cons

When we were Unilever we were a 50 million case a year capable--now we are a lousy co-packer. Being a union seems to have made us a red headed step-child even though we are not problematic. The company wants to put all their eggs in Bowling Green's basket--they will fall flat. At Baltimore we have one person per line, at their other locations they have many more. We are laying off 53 people on May 10th and as of 2 days before personnel cannot even get that right. Extremely unprofessional in this layoff process. One can only hope it blows up in their collective faces.

Advice to Management

If there is a next contract(highly doubtful) maybe the company should bargain in good faith instead of lying to the union and employees.

10. Setup Mechanic

Current Employee - Setup Mechanic in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Setup Mechanic in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time

Pros

Some good coworkers
    So-so compensation
    It says I have to enter more words here, but this place really is that terrible.

Cons

Total lack of communication between shifts, departments, and through chain of command
    Drag their feet on reviews and raises
    Management expects you to come to reviews and beg for a raise even if you've been an amazing employee
    Fill you full of empty promises like lead positions, tuition reimbursement (they won't approve), steady schedules, etc
    Setup crew works insane amounts of hours and can be called in an hour before they're expected to be there (schedule states Mon-Fri, 8 hours/day, but that's really an absolute minimum; 12 hour shifts and weekends are the norm)
    Setup crew can be told to be there, show up, then be told to go home
    Setup crew is always considered the go-to guys for anything and everything, but they're paid the same as any other mechanic
    Lots of two-faced management, people throwing others under the bus
    People are given lead and management positions based on who their friends are and how well they talk instead of their ability and skill
    Equipment is old, filthy, and poorly maintained due to production pushing to always have it running instead of fixing problems the right way
    If a setup mechanic is unable to come to work on a weekend, even though their schedule is Mon-Fri, they're expected to use PTO (mandatory overtime without notice)
    Other people take credit for work done
    Certain leads spend their time playing online or otherwise being useless, dodging their bosses
    Bonus and other things that used to make it a good workplace have been taken away or cut down drastically (all while they post flyers about how much money the company saved last year, year-to-date, etc)

Advice to Management

Communicate. Care about the employees. Let people who actually see the work being done judge what raises and promotions are given. Allow good ideas to be recognized instead of denying them because they aren't yours. Schedule setup crew with some consideration for their families and health.

11. Turn Over was high: I had three bosses in less than 3 years at the same job....

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Wilton, CT

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building and office space.

Cons

High turn over of staff

RSS Feed </> Embed